ten

"Are we going to talk about how you're matching me?" I ask as I look at him as we're walking into the restaurant.

"That's so cute of us. How coincidental." He says as I fight back a smile.

"Yeah, how strange." I say as he opens the door and we go up before we get seated after he says he has reservations.

I open the menu as I can feel his gaze on me. I part my eyes from the menu and he quickly looks down at his menu as I smile. Idiot.

"You look beautiful." He says as I laugh.

"Am I the only one who feels like this is awkward?"

"You're going into it knowing we're friends. That's probably what's making it awkward for you." He mumbles as I set down the menu. I cross my arms and stare at him before he does the same thing, "should we just like kiss maybe? I feel like that'd help break the tension." He suggests.

"Pedri." I scoff as I pick up the menu again, going through it.

"Well I don't want you saying it's awkward the whole time because then it will be."

"Fine, it's not awkward." I smile as I look at him and he returns a fake smile. "This is why I didn't want to go out with you." I say under my breath.

"Well it definitely is awkward now." He says quietly as silence grows over us.

A few minutes pass and after the waiter takes our order we sit in silence staring at each other. "Okay fine I didn't mean that."

"You meant it." He retorts.

"Okay I kind of meant it. But I didn't want you being all pouty during the game because you couldn't stop thinking about me." I shrug as he laughs slightly.

"Right. Charity case, hmm?" He hums as I take a deep breath.

"That's not what I said."

"But it's what you're implying." He counters as I cross my arms.

"I didn't imply anything." I scold as he raises his eyebrows before looking away.

"All I'm saying is you could've just been honest. I wouldn't have been mad, Tate. If you didn't want to go on a date you should've just said that." He says softly as I look down at my hands.

"It's not that I don't want to be on this date, something about it just feels off." I explain as he rubs his chin.

"Because I've been pissing you off lately so that probably has something to do with it. In your mind I've become completely unbearable, yeah?" He asks. I look away as he clicks his tongue. "Yep. Bingo." He murmurs.

"See now you're just putting words in my mouth."

"I can put something else in your mouth." He mumbles as I gasp, kicking him under the table. "You don't even know what I was thinking."

"Oh I know what you're thinking about." I snicker as he smiles slightly.

My phone lights up and I look at it quickly before I flip it over and Pedri gives me a look. "It's just G asking about my date. He's determined to create beef with you since you're the mystery man."

"Yeah you know, that does sound like him." He implies as I nod.

"Maybe if I was drunk this wouldn't be awkward." I say as I look at the drink menu.

"Don't get drunk." He mumbles as I put it back.

"Fine then."

"Is that going to put me at the bottom of the pyramid this week?" He asks as I shrug.

"Probably. That and this super great first date." I smile as he chuckles.

"Right. Super great first and last date."

"Maybe friends is just what's best, you know? Like I know you aren't the problem because we do have a ton of chemistry and we've known each other for like ever, but maybe dating isn't in the cards for us." I imply.

"Okay, I'll no longer see you as a hot mom." He begins, "just a mom." He adds.

I laugh as I nod, "right because that changes a lot." I say as he nods.

"It really does."

After that we ate and had some small conversations but it was still awkward, and I can't put my finger on it still. On the way back we didn't say a whole lot and definitely not when we got home.

I went in the house first and no one was in the living room so I held the door open and he came in after me. No words were said and I went to my room, taking off my heels as I flipped on the light.

"Hi Tate." Gavi says as he's laying in my bed.

"Dude what the hell?" I whisper yell as he smiles.

"How was your date?" He asks as I go into my closet changing quickly before I turn off the lights and I get into bed.

"Bad." I mumble as I turn to face him.

"Why?"

"Because I friend zoned him and I feel bad about it because I really do like him but something about it feels off." I say as he nods.

"Well you have to do what's best for you. And there's no time frame on that type of thing, you know? Maybe start friends and move to a relationship when you're ready." He says softly.

"God, I love you." I say as I wrap my arms around him.

"Sleepover." He says as he pushes me away and I grab a pillow hitting him with it.

"That's what you get for denying my hug. And you'll also get bottom of the pyramid." I say as I hit him again.

"Rude." He says as he grabs my other pillow, hitting me with it.

"That's it. You're done." I say as I sit up, hitting him repeatedly as he covers his face bursting out in laughter.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry." He says as he's still laughing hysterically, trying to catch his breath.

"Okay now go to bed. I got my anger out of my system." I say with a smile as he turns the other way.

"Goodnight Tate."

"Goodnight G."