Not Gonna Write You A Love Song 📝Pt. 12

August 1995

The backstage crew was prepping us to take the floor once again on the Arsenio Show. Today was the day we found out who was going to win between Jodeci and XTACÌ. Our album Grown premiered June 20th and Jodeci's released July 18th.

Our teams advised us to wait another month to give the fans a chance to marinate on both albums. Before I knew it, August rolled around the corner, now here we were.

What I thought would be the happiest moment of our career turned real sour.

EVERYTHING...everything I've worked so hard for was slipping out of my fingers. I had to kiss Success goodbye.

"Look I don't care what went down between you four" spoke Slink "When you get to that center stage, you will smile and be loving to one another".

"I just wanna get this shit over with" I shook my head focusing on my own vanity. After the bomb my group dropped on me, I wanted to be as far from them as possible.

"Diamond come on" frowned Tati "Can you just focus on being here with us. Let's make this interview a positive one". I tuned Tati out.

"Please Diamond" Krys begged "I know this isn't what you wanted but try to understand". The makeup artist cued that I was done as I rose to my feet.

Before heading out the dressing room, I turned to my sisters.

"You three betrayed me and expect me to go out there and act like everything's fine" I paused as the girls watched with saddened eyes.

"Alright fine. Let's all go out there and put on a show like we always have.

Our final curtain call". I made my dramatic exit vowing that one day, I'd get my name back out there.

IN 3...2...1.

"And we are back party people" Arsenio pointed to the camera "I'm here with incomparable Jodeci and Miraculous XTACÍ". Everyone in the audience applauded as we wave with fake smiles and kisses.

"So here in my hand I have the results" said Arsenio holding a white card you often seen on Awards Shows "But before we do this. Lemme congratulate both groups for having outstanding albums". The crowd clapped rooting the usual Senio chant. He held up both albums.

"That fact that the fellas went for black and the girls white is..." he shook his head "Unbelievable. This had to be planned". All of us shook our heads. Krystal raised her mic.

"Just had a hunch and ran with it" I shrugged "Figured they go for something all black and mystic". I glared at her.

"Alright alright and did you guys so happen to listen to each other's albums?" He looked in both directions. KCI and Dalvin shoved each other to speak first while the crowd and I laughed.

"Ooooooweeeeee" called out Dalvin "Loved it. Loved what they stood for and what they were embracing, it's Raw, gritty transitioning them from Girls to Grown Women".

"Like New Edition!" Senio popped out. Dalvin chuckled into the mic agreeing. "Yeah straight like that".

"Yeah it's like...they was cocoons and now blossomed into beautiful butterflies" added K.

"If you all haven't gotten the album. Go to your nearest record store and go buy Grown TUHDAY". The crowd cheered as I placed my hand to my chest.

"Now that's love and girls what was your favorite record off their album?".

"Personally...I liked Love You For Life" Tati smiled followed by audience clapping.

"For meee it had to be...Freek'n You" answered Krystal. "That's a one hot, right?". The girls in the crowd went wild as Arsenio's eyes bucked.