Not Gonna Write You A Love Song 📝Pt. 18

"Diamond come on we're behind schedule baby" Devantè shouted checking his watch. "Okay just a second!" I shouted from the bedroom then went back to searching.

I could feel my insides forming little knots in my gut, literally on the verge of an upchuck. I was so distraught about losing my engagement ring. I searched  the mountain high and valley low, hoping it would appear but luck wasn't on my side

Shit what else was new?

Hearing his boots shuffle up the stairs and marching into our room, he watched me digging through the drawers and cabinets. Anything that had a compartment before we were off to the airport.

"Diamond what are you doing?" He asked with his hands out. I paused, preparing to look the man I love right in the eye and confessed my crime. "De.." I took a breath "De I..I lost my engagement ring baby". De raised his head to the ceiling blowing hot air. I knew he was livid and had every right to be.

"Diamond. This wasn't some ring I got outta the damn gumball machine" he blustered "That was a fucking half a million dollar ring". "De..I'm so sorry" my heart sank "I could've sworn I put it on the bathroom sink".

"That's just as worse Diamond" he rubbed his face "How do you plan on orchestrating an entire wedding if you can't even keep up with something as simple as a ring?". I crossed my arms, eyeing the floor as if a kid scolded.

When Devantè proposed, he said it wouldn't be appropriate to air the news on live television til we got the blessings from both families and today we were going to visit mine. "Look alright umm..Let's just forget the ring right now. Our flight leaves in forty minutes, and you know I already hate flying as is".

"I know baby" I frowned grabbing the rest of my things "Are we still telling our parents?". "We're not telling them anything" he raised his arms slapping them to the side.

"What do you mean?" My brows reached for the ceiling "Baby I really wanted to tell them about our engagement". "So your peeps can think I'ma liar?" he scoffed "Hell naw Diamond. I'm not going out like that".

"De my parents aren't like that" I glowered "I'll tell em what happened and how it was my fault". De shook his head. "Uhn uh..." he scratched his cheek "Do watchu feel Diamond. It's been working for you so far, right?". "De I understand you're mad.." I raised my hand "But please...let's not".

Devantè nipped his lip, walking over, grabbing my luggage and headed down the stairs without so much as saying a word. I felt like complete shit.

Losing my engagement ring was as close to calling off the whole damn wedding in itself. I had to give him props though, he never brought our problems out in the open, he'd rather do it in private . As careless as he was about other's opinions of him, he didn't want anything negative tied to his name whatsoever.

"Come on Diamond!" he called out snapping me out of my daydream. I hopped to my feet making a dash for the stairs.

He was a businessman first and an asshole second.

I forgot how simple life was back in Meridian. Lighter traffic, air was obtainable, and HELLA grass not a piece of concrete in sight, that is til we made it into town. We didn't have a lot like NYC but we made up for it in other ways.

But let's take it back to the airport, where I got my first glimpse of reality.

Through a weave of people, I spotted Krystal, who was on standby looking fidgety with a sense of urgency. The tapping and nail biting was the first giveaway.