Say something

Carina waited for the entire night and half the next day for Maya to wake up. Then finaly the monitors were beeping and Maya opened her eyes. "Hey. Bambina. Hey. Its okay you have a tube down your throat don't speak." Maya seemed confused and was panicking."its okay." Carina rang for Amelia and held Mayas hand tightly. "Just breathe. Don't speak. You are okay, Bambina."
"Oh nice to see you."  Amelia said. "I will take the tube out now." She got the utensils and got the intubation out. Maya still seemed utterly confused. Carinas brain was going through all the possible things wrong. "Try not to speak to much, your throught might be sore. Maya. You are at Grey Sloan Hospital, Can you remeber what happened?" Maya swallowed and she was trying to say something. Carina gave her a sip of water. "I can't hear you." Maya said.

Carina and Amelia were confused. Maya had bad lacerations on her head so her head was covered in bandages. Amelia quickly removed the ones covering her ears. She looked inside and noded. "Her eardrums are busted." Carina sighed. "So she is not confused. She is deaf." Amelia nodded. "I will get a head CT to confirm that nothing is wrong." Maya looked from Amelia to Carina. "Can someone please tell me, what you are talking about." She rasped out. Amelia got the tablet and opend an empty page in the notes app. "Hello Maya. You have been in an accident at work. There was an explosion and your eardrums are busted. We will get some CT scans to see the damage. Other than that you have a liver rupture, that we fixed in the OR and a shattered arm. Link will tell you more about that. You also have a concussion. Can you remember the accident?" Maya read everything and nodded. "I can rememeber going in the celler with Miller to evac a person. Then nothing." "Okay. Thank you." Amelia said and put her hand to her chin and move it away again. That is the sign for thank you. Maya looked confused. Amelia wrote down. "I said thank you. That was the sign for thank you. Asl" Maya nodded. She was so tired, she didn't care. Amelia asked Maya a few more questions and then left, giving Carina the tablet. "Are you in pain?" Carina asked. "Maya shook her head." "Be honest." Carina wrote "My arm hurts and my head feels like its going to explode and i am really tired." "I'm gonna get you something, so you can sleep." Carina wrote and showed the tablet to Maya. Maya nodded and signed 'Thank you.' Carina smiled.

When Maya woke back up Carinas Head was lying on her arms on the bed. She was going to have a sore back, the way she slept, so Maya decided to wake her. "Carina. My love." Carina shot up. "What is it? What do you need?" "Can you come lay next to me? If you sleep like you have right now, you will get a sore back." "I'm afraid to hurt you." Maya looked questioningly. Carina wrote it on the tablet. Maya shook her head. "No. Please. I want to hug you." Carina smiled and a few tears formed. "What?" Maya asked. Carina layed down next to her on the opposit side of the broken arm, Maya snuggling close. She wrote on the tablet. "I was so scared. I thought i'd lost you." "Oh. My Love. Babe. I am here." Maya held Carina tightly as Carina cryed and sobbed. "I love you." Maya wispered as Carina had calmed down. "But my head hurts really much, i'm going to try to sleep some more." "Yes Bambina. Sleep."Carina said and nodded. She kissed her wifes forehead and put her cold hands on it. Maya sighed. "That feels good." Carina smiled. Maya closed here eyes and fell asleep shortly after.
Carina studdied her features. Her cuts on her face her chapped lips and the dirt that was still on her face. She was going to give Maya a sponge bath later, it migth also help with the headache. She played with the blonde hair, and brushed slightly over the part that had been shaved to get the stitches in. It was going to be a long ride to recovery.

"Okay Maya". Amelia said. "She had gotten a speach to text program for them, which had made everything a lot easier. "So you have ruptured eardrums in both ears. Your right one should heal just fine, we will give you medication, that it doesn't scar. Your left one however already has a lot of scaring. Is it possible that you already ruptured that one, some time ago? But you didn't get medical care for it?" Maya thought. "I don't know?" "You would have realized it. And you must have also realized that your hearing is worse on your left, even after it healed." "There was this one time. A long time ago. We were trapped in a hotbox and we built projectil out of a watertank and the valve was loose. I wanted to get to it, but it exploded." "Maya. Why didn't you tell me?" Carina asked. "That was before i knew you." Maya said. "And i didn't realize my hearing was worse. It sucked a little, but i don't. It just came back." "We will try to repair it surgically. We need to get the scarring out and then, we will see how it heals." "So i will hear again?" "Yes and no." Amelia said. "Additionaly to the eardrums you have also fryed your nerves. Sound hits the eardrum, which moves some bones and those then move a liquid in your Cochleas. Inside the Cochleas are tiny little nerves, they look like hairs and they move with the liquid and send the sound signal to the brain. But with the loud blast you overfired the nerves and therefore they are broken. There is still some signal comming to your brain, so you will not be totaly deaf, but you might be hard of hearing." "There is no chance they will work again?" "Maybe. They could regenerate and the remaining nerves are very good at adapting so you might get next to normal hearing, but you might not. We don't know. But hearing aids and fm devices might help." Maya nodded. "But i can't be a firefighter without hearing." "We will see. You might get you hearing back well enough, Bellina." "Right now, you are out anyway. Your arm is going to take at least 9 weeks in the cast and then extensive rehab. And you had abdominal surrgery, which will also take 4 ish weeks to heal fully. By then your eardrums will have healed and we will go on to determine the nerve damage from there." Amelia summed everything up. Maya nodded. Amelia left the room and Maya started to cry. Carina was startled, because Maya seemed so collected. She winced as her sobbs hurt her abdomen. Carina layed down next to her and held her tightly. "Its okay. I love you. I got you. Its okay." Maya was so overwhelmed. "Carina took her healthy Hand and put it to her own chest. "Breathe, Bella, Breathe." Carina overexaggerated her breathing. "There you go." She said well aware, Maya couldn't hear her. "She took the the tablet with the speach app and showed it to her." "I love you no matter what, and we will get through this, and you are so strong and i've got you, Bambina." Maya cuddled her head in the crock of Carinas neck and kept crying silently. Carina strocked her hair and held her hand tightly. After a while the sobs stoped and when Carina looked down, she saw Maya was sleeping. She had tired herself out. But she needed the rest and so Carina held her tightly and let her sleep.

An: i am sorry if there are more grammar and writing mistakes. I have a hard time concentrating.