it was my mistake to try and break

Maya got settled int her room and got a new ng-tube. She rested her sore eye and listend to some music via her hearing aids. Suddenly her phone rang.

"Maya Deluca-Bishop?" She answered. Silence. "Hello?... Who is there?" "Hi Maya. Its Mason." Maya almost fell out of her bed. "Hey. Mason? What? I don't understand?" "Your daughter is in my art class." "What?" "Nina. She gave me your number a few weeks ago. I just haven't brought up the courage to call you. I suppose Nina has told you." "No. She said nothing." "Well. I don't know, why i called." "Mason, i am so glad you called. How are you?" "I am good. I am a painter and i teach art now, just a evening course, at the college and i am married." "Wow. That is great." Maya was so happy for her brother. "I called, because i remebered something." Mason took a deep breath. "When i first saw Nina, she was crying in the college park. I have done the paintjob at the renovation of the west wing. She was crying because she wanted to get to Seattle, because her mom was on a ventilator." Maya sighed. "I throught about it, but yeah. Are you okay?" "Mason, i have cancer." "Mhm." "I am currently at the hospital. I am not doing very well. But i am still fighting." "I was kind of hoping you married a woman and Nina ment her other mom." "I did marry a woman, but i am glad i have it, because this sucks. I couldn't do it without her however." Maya yawned. "We can hang up. I am very sorry, Maya." "No, i am sorry Mason. Honestly. We should have made more effort in finding you." "No. I made sure noone could find me. Lane, he often tryed to find me." "Well he is still in jail." "Jail?" "Mhm. He held a knife to my throat just a few months ofter my daughters were born." "I thought Nina was adopted?" "She is, but i have 7 year old tripplets." "Tripplets?" "Yes. They are biologically mine and my wife Carina carried them." "My wife Jenny can't carry, but we want to adopt." "That is great. I love that for you." Maya smiled. "I'm sorry, Mason i am really tired." "Its okay. Can i visit you?" "Sure. But we have to keep a distance, i am imunocompromised. And i don't really want another infection." "I am sorry, Maya." "Thanks."  They hung up. Maya smiled and quickly diled Ninas number. "Hey Bellina." "Mom. Hey. How are you?" "Well i have to stay at the hospital again, because they have to change some of my meds, but i am okay. Nina, how come you didn't tell me you found Mason?" "I wanted him to call you. I didn't want you to be disapointed if he doesn't want to talk to you." "He called me." "He did?" "mhm. He is doing really good. I am so happy." "Thats great mom." "Yeah. He is married. He has a stable job." Mayas speach was increasingly slurred. "Mom you need to sleep. You sound really tired." "Okay. Have a nice day, Bellina." "Sleep well, Mom. I love you." "I love you, too."

Mayas health however declined further in the next few days. The medication suporting her immunsystem, which is keeping her alive, was simultaniously killing her kidneys. The numbers got worse each day. On Wednesday they put her under a strickt Quarantine. Only doctors and nurses got to go in, not even Carina got to see her. On Thursday her numbers were so bad, they put her on dialysis. "She can live without kidneys for some time, with the dialysis, but she can't live with how bad her immunsytem is right now. The medecations aren't doing enough, any infection could be fatal." Dr. Lindner  explained to Carina. They changed her ng-tube to an nj-tube. Instead of in her stomach it went into her intestines, because she just threw up everything in her stomach, which she couldn't afford. They did continue with the chemo, hopeing that the spinal tab on friday was clean. What they would do after was another question. They had no donor and without a donor the chances of new cancercells growing in her spine were huge. Also her body wasn't producing blood or immunanswers. It was basically a ticking time bomb.

With getting bad news every day Carina got increasingly more worried. The doctors seemed so confident, but now not even Dr. Lindner could comfort Carinas anxiety. With Maya not being home and the extra time she had spent taking care of Maya, she was on edge a lot. Everything reminded her of Maya and had her start to cry. She managed to remind herself that Maya wasn't dead yet and that they still had a chance. Maya herself was barely awake. She didn't react much to her words, but would sometimes open her eyes or even smile, when they facetimed with her.

Maya had made Carina promise not to ask Mason for a donation. She was scared her brother could think the only reason she looked for him was to get his stemcells. That she didn't care for him, but only for a way to get herself healthy again. Carina cursed herself to promise such a thing. Everyday she was closer to calling Mason and asking him. Mason had also called Kathrine and they had a good talk. It would need some time to fix everything, but Mason could see that Kathrine changed a lot without Lane.

An:i promise it will get better

Happy Pride month🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈