Turn your face towards the sun

Carina was finaly sitting down, as she had a few minutes of quite, it seems as if every baby in Seattle wanted to be born today. She closed her eyes for a second and almost jumped when her phone rang.
"Dr. Carina Deluca-Bishop speaking." She said. "Hi this is Elisa from the daycare. Your daughter Ellie has spiked a fever. I am afraid you need to pick her up." "Oh no. Is she alright?" "Well she is very cuddly and fussy. I think she is not feeling too great." "Okay. I will be right up." Carina said. "Thank you. See you." "See you." Carina groaned. The last thing she needed was a sick kid. Well thats life and so she ran out and told the nurses at the station she'd be right back and went to pick up Ellie.

Maya was in a meeting with the Captain of 88 when her phone rang. "I'm sorry. Its my wife. I will just let her know i'll call her back." "Oh its okay. My wife calls me lots of times a day." He said and smiled. "Hey. I am in a meeting, can i call you back?" "Ehm. Maya. Ellie spiked a fever, i have to pick her up from daycare, but all of Seattle wants to give birth today, so i need to get back to work. Can you come?" "Yes. Sure. I am almost done. i will be there in 30minutes tops." Maya hung up. "Sorry. My daughter spiked a fever and i need to go pick her up." "Thats alright. We are almost done." The Captain said. "I am so sorry." Maya apologized again. The Captain smiled. "I have two of my own. 12 and 18. Boys How many do you have, Chief?" "4 girls. A 15 year old and 3 year old tripplets." "Jesus. But if anyone can do, its you." "Thank you." Maya smiled. "Okay. So your budget looks good and i will finish the request for new hoses. Shouldn't be a problem. Do you have the aidcar review?" "Yes. Here." "Thank you. I will go over that, but i don't think there will be a problem either." "Thanks, Chief." Maya got up. "Thank you for your time, Captain." "Thank you. And i hope the little one feels better soon." Maya smiled. "Thank you."

Maya knocked on Carinas office. "Hey." She wispered as she saw Ellie sleeping in a nurses arms. "Hey. I suppose you are this ones Mom." "Yes. Where is Carina?" "Surrgery. She asked me to watch her. Dr. Deluca-Bishop gave her some infant tylonol and she fell asleep after. But she would let me put her down." "She is very cuddly when she is sick." "Yeah. Its okay. I don't mind." Maya picked up the sleeping Ellie and felt her forehead. "She is still quite warm. Oh. My name is Maya by the way." "Leslie." "Thank you again." Maya kissed Ellies sweaty forehead. "Lets get you home." "Can i ask you something?" Leslie picked up Ellies Teddy and put it in the stroller. "Sure." "My girlfriend and i are looking at our options to have kids. How did you do it?" "Oh. Well we did RIVF. I am a firefighter so i was better for Carina to be pregnant as she could still do her job. We used my eggs and a spermdoner of italian origin." "Cool. And what was good and bad about it?" Leslie seemed very curious. "Well we didn't exactly try for tripplets. With ivf multibles acure more often and with a tripplet pregnacy a lot of complications come along. You probably know more about it, then i do. But it was very scary. They were born at 28 weeks and Carina almost died. Meena and Louise are developing regularly now. They are have caught up quickly and are just like any other 3 year old. Ellie however suffered a brainbleed and she has been diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy. She is developmentaly delayed." "Oh." Maya shrugged. "Its worked out just fine for us. The world isn't made for disability and we will have more obstacles than regular developing children, but we will manage." "Cool. So rivf was the right decision for you." "Yes and no. I don't want to have done it any different, but i also don't want to have to do it again." "Okay. Cool." Leslie held the door open so Maya could push the stoller with one hand, while holding Ellie with the other.

At home Maya put Ellie in Mayas and Carinas bed and took of the AFOs and her dress and put her in PJs. Ellie was awake and crying. Maya talked to her quietly trying to comfort her, but it was clear the toddler felt bad. Once Maya had changed out of her uniform herself, she layed down in the bed next to the miserable toddler and pulled her close. Ellie immidiatly cuddled into her mom and Maya caresed her back. After a while Ellie fell asleep. As she was laying almost on top of Maya, Maya decided to just rest with her daughter.

Around 2:30 the door opened and Nina came in. She went upstairs and saw her mom and sister in the bedroom. "Hey. What are you doing home?" She said in a hoarse voice. "Ellie is sick. You don't sound so good aswell. Come here." Maya said. Nina looked pale and tired. "Yeah. I am so tired today and my throat hurts." Nina went to her moms bedside. Maya put her hand on Ninas forehead. "Oh sweety. I think you have a fever." Maya squeezed Ninas hand. "Why don't you get changed into something comfortable and i'll get this one off of me to get you some medicine and then we snuggled and rest in bed." "Okay." Nina said and shuffled out of the bedroom.

Around 5:30 Carina and the other two toddlers came home. Carina was holding Louise in her arms. Maya was in in the kitchen when they came in. Ellie was laying on her playmat in the livingroom. Not playing just holding her stuffed animals. "Guess who spiked a fever aswell." Carina said and kissed Maya. "Oh. Louise aswell?" Carina nodded." She seemed unwell when i picked the girls up. The Juliette from daycare said she had taken the girls temperature after Ellies was high and she was fine. But when they took it again when i picked them up it was 101.3" "oh. Nina is sick, too. She had a temperature of 102 when she came home. She is sleeping in our bed. You are off tomorrow and i only have one inspection in the morning. How about we keep the girls home and rest?" "Sounds like a good idea." "What about Meena?" "She seems to be fine still." "Good." Maya nodded. "How about i take this one and we go cuddle on the sofa and you make some soup for our sick kids." "Yes. Can you give her some tylonol?" "I can. Ellie has had some half an hour ago." "Okay. Good. I hate it when they are sick." "Yeah. Same." Louise wimpered, when Maya took her off of Carina. She was shivering and Maya heart broke. "Mommy. Not fee dood." Louise sighed. "I know. I know. Come on lets get you some medicine."

The evening was chill. They ate some Minestrina and got ready for bed. Nina went in her own bed, because Louise and Ellie refused to stay in their beds and Maya and Carinas bed was not big enough for 5 people. They went to bed quite early and fell asleep quite soon.

The night was not restful for any of them. One todler woke up and cryed and woke up the other toddler. At around 3am Maya and Ellie moved over in the Guestbedroom to avoid that. But the toddlers were still up a lot and crying, because they were just miserable. Ellie started to develope a cough and because of her poor muscle controll of the muscles required to cough, it took a lot out of her and made her even more miserable.

Carina could feel a headache form in the early hours of the morning. Her body felt stiff and she was cold. She cuddled closes to the sleeping, feverish toddler. Her warmth ,though it worried, Carina it felt good.

Maya woke Carina around 7. "Hey." Maya said. "Hey." Carina rasped out. "Oh no. Are you sick, too?" "
"No. Just tired. Louise was up almost every 30 minutes." "Ellie aswell. She is sleeping right now." Maya pointed at the toddler laying next to Carina. "I have to go. I will be back in two hours maybe three." "Okay." Carina nodded. "Are you sure you are okay?" Carina nodded, but she felt awfull. "I am going to check on Nina and Meena and them i am out." "Okay."