Now you're sleeping peacefull, i lie awake and pray

Maya froze. "Maya. I think my water broke." Carina said again, incase Maya didn't hear her. "i heard you. Okay. Come on. Lets have you sit down and i'll..i'll  get all the things and we'll get you to the..the  hospital." "Yes. Okay. I'll call Jo." Carina said wincing slightly at a contraction. Maya got clothes for the both of them some toiletries, chargers and headphones. They could always go back for more or have someone bring them. Her brain was running at a thousand. We didn't even finish the nursary? We don't have cribs or basinets? Its to early! "Okay. Bye." Carina said on the phone. "Okay, bambina. Lets take a breath together." She saw her wife was freaking out. She was freaking out herself and so she couldn't have Maya panik. "In and out." Carina said. "I am scared aswell, but its okay. We are going to the....uff." she said as a contraction ripped throug her. Maya looked worried at her. "They are getting a little stronger." Carina said with closed eyes. "Its okay. I love you." Maya helped her up and got her into some clean pants, then they drove to the hospital.

"Okay. Carina, you are only 3cm dialated. That is good, we can stop the labour, but you need to be in the hospital for as long as we can stop the labour." Carina nodded. "It looks like the water of Baby A broke ,but the others are fine. All of them are fine, but Baby C seems to have decided she want come in second. She has squezzed herself in between her sisters." "Yes. They have been moving alot." "Its okay for now. We need to monitor you closely for infections of any kind." Jo said. "I know."Carina rested her head in Mayas hand. She was scared, but she knew that right now everything was going as  best as i could given the circumstances.

They were able to stop the contractions and pause the labour. The question was for how long.

When Maya wasn't working, she was with Carina. She had gotten herself a camping mattress to be by Carinas side at all times she wasn't at the Station. It went quite well and on saturday Jo congratulated them for yet another week. "28 weeks. That is good." Jo said. Carina nodded. "Babys born at 28 weeks have a 94% chance of survival with imediate medical care." She told her wife. Maya nodded. "And the NICU is on standby. When the girls are ready, they are ready for them." "Thank you, Jo."

On the evening of the eleventh Carina however started to get uncomfortable again. It didn't feel like contractions yet, but like pressure on her lower abdomen and when Jo checked on her, she was indeed having contractions again.

A few hours later the contractions have worsend and came closer together. "Maya, can you please give me some water." Carina said out of breath. She was standing next to her bed and holding onto the frame as contraction ripped through her. Maya held the straw to her lips. "You are doing so great. I love you." "Thank you." Carina said. Last time Jo had checked Carina had been at 4 cm. "Can we try some Oxytocin?" Carina asked. "Yes. Sure. I will let Jo know to give us some privacy." She helped Carina back on the bed and went to find the OB.

When Jo came back into the wifes room, she heard the screams of the brunette after a particularly heavy contraction "Okay. I see things are progressing. Lets check." Jo sat down and checked. "Oh thats good you are at 8 cm. You are nearly there." "Oh god. I didn't think this hurts so much." Carina said breathing heavily. "You are doing great." Maya said, placing a wet towel on Carinas sweaty forehead before giving her a kiss. "Yes. Your wife is right." Jo said. "You are a doing amazing." Carina nodded.

"Okay. Carina its time to push." Jo said. It was now 4 in the morning and Carina was exhaused. They had taken her into an OR. Just for precausious messures. "Maya, it might help her if you sit behind her and hold her." Jo suggested. Maya nodded and jumped behind her wife. "Okay. Push push push." Jo said and Carinas screams filled the room. "Great." Jo said. "Good." Maya held Carina tightly in between contractions. "Okay here comes another one." Jo said. "Push push push. Now stop. Don't push, wait for the next contraction." "Breathe my love." Maya said. "You are doing so great." "It hurts. Oh i need to push. It hurts so bad." "You know you can not push right now." Jo said. "Breathe. Good." Maya brushed over the sweaty hair. And kissed the top of her head. "Okay. Now." Carina said and started to scream again. She squeezed Mayas Hand so tightly, that Maya almost wanted to scream with her. "Okay. Good Carina one more." Carina pushed and Jo held their beautifull daughter in her hands. "Her you go." She showed her to them and then gave her to the Neonatal doctor. She wasn't crying. "She isn't crying." Carina said. "What is it?" Then the cryes of the little girl filled the room. Both Maya and Carina visiably relaxed. "Whats her name?" Jo asked. Maya looked at Carina. "Philomeena Kathrine." Carina said. "We'll call her Meena." Jo smiled. "Thats beautiful." 

"Okay Carina. Baby C is already very much ready. Can you push with the next contraction?" Carina nodded. She had closed her eyes. Maya held her close, wispering sweet nothings to her. "Okay. Its coming." Carina said. "Push push push." Jo yelled to be heard over Carinas screams. "Yes. Good. Stop." Carina rested back in Mayas embrace. "I love you. Its almost done." "Oh there is another one, Bambina. I don't think i can do it. I am so tired." "You can, you can. You are so strong." Maya wispered to her. "Okay. Push push push." Jo said and just a few minutes later, their second daughter was born. She immediatly cryed and Carina and Maya felt like it was the best sound on earth. "Whats her name?" Jo asked. "Louise Andrea." Maya said.

Carina felt terribly weak, all of a sudden. "Oh no." Jo said. "What is going on?" Maya asked. Carina yelped in pain. "She is bleeding a lot." Jo said. Which wasn't exaggerated as the floor to her feet was already flooded with blood. "Okay. Get hang a unit of blood. Maya, i need you to step out." Jo said. "What? We aren't done? There is still a baby.." Maya said, when Carina fell into her arms completely lifeless, all the machines going crazy. "Shes crashing." A nurse helped Maya out behind her lifeless, pale wife and escorted her out. "What is happening?" "I don't know. But i need to get back in there." "Okay. Please save her. And the baby. Please." The nurse nodded and left Maya.

Mayas breathing quickend. She had a hard time calming down. Like a Zombie she walked through the hallways. She didn't know where to go so she went to the NICU. She asked for her babys and a nurse brought her to them. "They are both doing well. They are on Cpap now, because their lungs are not very strong yet. But they already calmed down a lot and they are doing really well with the cpap." Maya nodded.

She sat inbetween the incubators her heart breaking for the tiny babys in there. She desperatly wanted to hold them, but she couldn't yet. She watched their monitores, trying not to think of her wife and youngest daughter.
She didn't even realize that she was shaking until she felt a hand on her shoulder. "Hey." A woman said. Maya looked at her confused. "Are you okay?" Maya nodded. " Well, i am... I don't know." "New?" The woman asked. "Yes." Maya said. "My name is Finja. My son Elija was born at 25 weeks. He has been here for a little over a month." "Maya. And my daughters are 28 weeks. My wife started bleeding after she had, Louise and i she passed out, i held her in my arms, she was ....lifeless." "I am so sorry." "And we are supposed to have tripplets, i don't know what is happening with them both. I need them. They have to be okay." "Why don't you call someone to wait with you. It helped me. Its just me and Elija. When then pushed him away, i was loosing it and my brother was my rock." "Yeah thats a good idea." Maya patted her pant pockets. "Need a phone?" "Yes. Thank you."

"Andy?" Maya said. Her voice shaking. "Carina... Mhm." Maya told Andy quickly what had happend and was glad to hear that Andy was on her way.