Lights will guide you home

Amelia was bringing the girls to bed and it was taking her some time, because they were quite clingy. Andy was on shift so she wasn't home and Carina was at the hospital with Maya. Nina felt so on edge. She wanted to scream and hit something and break things, but she just sat at the diningroom table and stared into nothingness. The cupboard on her right caught her attention. I was her parents liquor storage. Nina had never liked alcohol. Instead of making her feel good and carefree, it made her feel dizzy and anxious, but right now she longed for something that could make her feel less.

She opened the cupboard and looked for what seemed the strongest. She pulled out the vodka and opened the bottle. It smelled like handsanitizer. She put it to her mouth. It was disgusting. She swallowed and put the bottle away. But when she slid down the cupboard, a warm, cosy,calm feeling spread in her stomach. She got back up and took another sip. It burned all the way down to her stomach. Nina took the bottle over to the couch. She sipped the clear liquid while watching some trash tv.

When Amelia came back down she had drank half of the bottle. She quickly hid it under a pillow. "What are you watching?" "Some first date shit." Nina slurred. Her head was so empty it felt so good. "Are you okay?" Amelia came over and looked at her. "Yeah. I am good. I am super fine. My boyfriend broke up with me and my mom is dying and i'm failing my classes so. Yeah. I am so good." Amelia imediatly gaged something was up. "Hey. Can i smell your breath?" "Why?" "You are drunk." It wasn't a question. "Hm." Nina blew in Amelias direction. "Oh. Gosh. Girl. Why?" "I told you my life is a shitshow and i am watching someone sobbing, because a person, they got to know for one day, was not their love of their life." "Nina, Alcohol is not the solution." "Well it makes it feel tollerable right now." "What have you had?" Nina pulled the bottle out. "All of this?" "It was already open, but it was pretty much full." Ninas stomach turned. "I don't feel good." "Yeah. Come on." Amelia helped her up. Nina couldn't even walk properly. Amelia helped her into the downstairs bathroom and soon after Ninas knees hit the floor, she threw up. "Its okay, let it out." "I called Mason, he is on his way." Nina squezzed out between heaves. "Its okay. Focus on one thing." Nina emptied her entire stomach.

When she was done, Amelia helped her upstairs and into PJs. Nina layed down. "That was a stupid idea." "Mhm." Amelia said. "Drink this. It'll make you feel better tomorrow." Nina took the waterbottle and took small sips. "Okay. Try to sleep it off. I'll wait for Mason. If you need me, yell." "Thats right. You can here me. Mom can't. But mom can't do lots of things right now. Amelia, i'm so scared. I don't want to loose my mom." "Its okay. You will be okay. We will be there for you." Nina started crying and Amelia wrapped her in a hug. Ninas hole frame shook. She finaly broke down.

When her sobs tapered and her breathing evened out Amelia looked down at the girls face. She had fallen asleep. "Sleep tight, sweety." Amelia said and kissed Ninas forehead. Then she tucked her in and left her bedroom.

Amelia was sleeping, when the doorbell rang. She jumped up and opened the door. "Hi? Hi?" Mason looked at her confused. "I'm Amelia Shepard. I'm Carinas best friend and colegue. The kids are asleep, and Carina is with Maya at the hospital." "Oh okay. We haven't seen her." "Maya is under quaratine." "Right. Well they are testing my blood and then they'll let us know." "Okay. Come in." "Thanks." Mason took Jennys hand. "I'm afraid, it'll be a little cramped. I put new covers on Mayas and Carinas bed you can take that, and i'll take the couch in Ninas room. But that could mean that one of the tripplets might come over to you." "Oh thats no problem. We are currently in the process of getting licenced foster parents." "I can't have kids. I'm trans and so we want to foster and adopt." Jenny added. Amelia smiled. "Its so great. So many kids need a stable home."

Amelia showed them around. It was weird showing them around a house that wasn't hers. The mood was very somber.
When Amelia left the two in Carinas and Mayas bedroom, she heard crys.

She went over to the tripplets room. "Ellie is crying." Meena stated. Amelia lifted the seven year old out of her bed and carried her out the room. "Can you go back to sleep?" "Can we listen to one more book?" Louise asked "Sure. The same one?" "Mhm." They agreed.
Amelia carried a still crying Ellie down to the livingroom. "Its okay. Its okay." "Mamma. Mommy." Ellie sobbed. "Your Moms aren't here, but they are comming back soon. Its okay. You are okay." "Mamma." Ellie cryed. Amelias heart broke for the little girl. She was significantly smaller than her sisters, but so smart and she had definatly gaged that something was up. "Its okay. I got you." Ellie cryed a little. Amelia rocked her back and forth and sang silently. When Ellies sobbs tapered of Amelia carried her back to bed. The sleepy girl put her head on Amelias sholder and closed her eyes. Amelia tucked her in and kissed her forehead. "I promise we will be there for you." Amelia wispered.

In the hospital Carina didn't close her eyes. She looked at Maya. Who was sleeping. She prayed to her Mamma and to Andrea to let Maya stay. To make her better. Maya was physically shaking. She had a fever and Carinas heart broke at the sight of her. Her face was swolen and puffy, her skin wachsy and tense. Her arms once so muscular were thin and flimsy. She was covered in blankets. Her body looked so small next to those thousand machines. But they were still beeping. The oxygen was still flowing and her body was still warm. Too warm, but warm. Carina held Mayas hand and drew circles on it. "I love you, bambina."