i don't wanna play with real blood

Nina had a dance club on tuesday evening and an arts and crafts group on Wednesday. She enjoyed the groups, they helped take her mind of of what was going on.
The week of Mayas 6th treatment cycle Ninas arts and crafts teacher went on maternity leave and a new one came around. Nina looked at the man. He was familiar.

"Hi. I see you have already been working on projects. I am just going to let you continue. My name is Mason. I am not a teacher. I am a painter. You might have seen me around here. I painted the west wing rooms after they were renovated." He was the guy that comforted her. "The school hired me, because noone else wanted to do it, but i am very excited. I love art and i love to help you with your art. So just ask. Before we get started, you all know eachother, but i don't know you. Just tell me your name and where you are from." They went around the room and said names and where they were from. "My name is Nina Deluca-Bishop. I am from Seattle." "Thats cool. I am originaly from Seattle, too." Nina nodded.

Nina was amazed by how good Mason was at art. They were doing big paintings on canvases and Mason helped her a lot. She diled her mammas number, she had the habit of calling carina, because Maya could be asleep, and smiled when she answered.
"Bellina, hello." "Ciao Mamma. I have to tell you something." "What is it, bellina?" "I have a new art teacher. He is so cool. He is really good. He helped me with the shading it looks so good now." "I believe that." "His name is Mason. And he said he was from Seattle aswell." "Oh." Carina thought for a moment. "Do you by any chance know his last name?" "No. Why?" "Maya is looking for her brother and his name is Mason." "Oh." "And from what i know, he loves art." "Hm. I don't know." Nina said and then went on talking about her class.

The next week Nina watched Mason closely. "What is it you are looking at?" Clara asked. "Nothing." "He looks good, but isn't he too old?" "I have a boyfriend." "I know it was a joke."
When the class was over Nina couldn't let it go, she went over to the teacher. "Can i ask you something that might sound weird?" "Sure?" "Whats your lastname?" "My lastname is Soutas, but i took my wifes name. It used to be Bishop." "Really?" Nina wondered. Mason did have exactly the same eyes her mom had. "Yes, why?" Nina took a deep breath. "Do you know Maya Bishop?" "I don't know if we mean the same person, but my sisters name was Maya." "She is my mom." "What?" "Yes. Maya is my mom. She is looking for you, her and grandma have hired a PI." "I don't have the best relationship to my family. To be honest, i'd rather not talk to any of them ever again." "But.." "no. And i am also not sure we mean the same Maya. My sister was way to victory-driven to have kids. I mean how old are you?" "No. I am adopted. But that doesn't matter. Is the Maya you mean the olympian Maya Bishop?" "Yes." Mason looked back up at Nina. "Well. This is her phone number. Maybe call her."

Mayas mental health declined over the next few weeks. She was talking with Diane and a therapist specializing in cancer patients, but eventially she just stopped talking at all. She did still say stuff, but not much. She had sores in her mouth, but she also didn't really want to say much. The only ones, who could get her to talk a little were the tripplets and Nina. Nina was coming home every weekend now. She has ditched all her weekend programs to be home.

"Maya wake up." Carina slightly josled her wife. "Hmh." Maya groaned and opened her eyes. She had an infection in her right eye which burned and made her vision blurry, but also sticked her eye close during the night. "I'm gonna clean your eye." "Mhm." Maya nodded. Carina used a warm towel over the firefighters eye and rubed of the sticky puss. "I feel like i have a fever." Maya said as Carina cleaned her eye. Carina put a hand on Mayas forehead. "You do, Bambina." Maya sighed. "The girls are all ready, lets get you changed and ready." "If all goes well this might be my last week of chemo." "Yes. Maybe. Lets try to be hopefull." Carina kissed Mayas forehead. She helped her up and pulled of her sleep shirt and sweatpants. Then she cleaned her slightly with a damp washcloth and pulled a new shirt and sweatpants on her. She put thick socks on her and helped her transfer into the wheelchair. Maya had some applesauce for breakfast. She had a ng tube for nutrition, but she tryed some food when she felt like she could. "Are you ready?" "Mhm." Carina got the girls settled in the car and then helped Maya in.