I guess i learned it from my parents

Carina layed awake almost the entire night. She wasn't in a lot of pain, just uncomfortable, but her anxiety was running high. Maya had gone home to the girls and stayed home with them for the night. She had promised to come in the morning after she took the girls to school. Carina was worried. This kid of fractures took surgeons out of ever operating again and Carina knew that. The thought made her nauseous. More than she already was. She almost had a panikattack when her thoughts spiraled. She managed to ring for a nurse and asked for a light sedative in the early morning, after that she finally fell asleep.

"How did you sleep?" Maya asked Carina. "Not good." Carina said. She knew she couldn't hide her fear from Maya. "Whats up?" "If the surrgery goes wrong or it doesn't heal properly. I might never be able to operate again." "I know, baby. But it will go great. Link is an amazing surgeon. He will not make a mistake." Maya yawned. "Did you not sleep well either?" Carina asked. "No. Its okay. I sleep better, when i am with you, but i slept fine. I am just tired." "Okay." Carina took a deep breath. "Good. Deep breaths. I love you." "I love you, too." Carina said.

Maya waited in Carinas office and worked a little, but couldn't quite concentrate. Link came 4 hours later and told her everything went great and Carina is in the recovery unit.

Carina had to stay a few more days, before she came home. Maya realized she relied on Carina quite a bid, as she felt herself increasingly more tired and exhausted now that Carina was in the hospital. But she didn't say anything.

The girls were increadibly happy that Carina was back home. She had a cast and a sling and so they advised the girls to be really carefull with Carina. With Carina beeing handicaped, Maya did a lot more cooking, but mostly Carina gave her direct orders. It did however help her to get a little better in the kitchen.

Two weeks after the accident the alarm rang for Maya to get up. Unsually she would get up an hour earlier to run before the kids got up, but today she didn't feel like it. So she turned back around and went back to sleep.

Carina sirred at her alarm and turned to Maya, who just woke up aswell. "What time is it?" Carina asked. "6:30" Maya said. "You didn't run?" "No. Didn't feel like it." "You alright?" Carina had noticed Maya was a little less energertic lately. "Sure. I just liked laying in bed with you." Carina smiled. Maya got up picked a bra out of the drawer and took her sleepshirt off. Carina smiled at Mayas bare back. "Want me to turn around?" Maya said as she felt Carina staring. "Yes." Carina smirked. Maya turned and kneeled on the bed, as if she wanted to climb up to Carina. "Bambina? What is with your shoulder?" "What?" Maya said looking down. There was a big bruise on Mayas shoulder. "I didn't even notice it." Maya said and went over to the mirror to get a closer look. "Did you get hurt on a call?" Carina said and swung her legs out of the bed. "No. It must be from when i ran into the wall." "What?" "I was looking at the tablet and i ran into the frame of a door." "Oh. You must have had some speed. This is really bruised." "I actully didn't. I must have just hit it weirdly." "Well, what do we learn?" "Doors hurt?" "No silly. Don't look at your tablet when you walk around." "Right." Maya smiled and pulled her shirt over the bruise.

The days went by and soon the fall came around. They sadly couldn't go down to Portland for Ninas birthday as Maya had been called in for a 4 alarm and slept through the rest of the day. But Nina did have classes anyway so it didn't bother her so much. They talked over the phone. Nina has already found a few friends and she likes her classes, which calmed the parents nerves a little.

When Kathrine moved back to Seattle, they decided to go through the storage unit the Bishops had. Maya and Mason didn't have a lot of toys, but what they did have was a big box of legos. Maya decided to bring them home for her own kids.
She showed them, what you could build with the bricks and helped them. Soon they started to play on their own. They would mostly listen to an audiobook and build in silence next to eachother. Ellie loved building, too, but alone she would get frustrated quickly. But Maya didn't mind playing and helping her with her. Sometimes they used building legos as a family evening activity and built big creations together.

By the end of october Carina was sick of her cast and so ready to get off. "Tomorrow i am free." She said as she took the plasic bag of her arm. She dried herself off and put her PJs on. "Yes. My love. But you need to do PT after. It will take some time before you can go back to the OR." "I know, but i am ready to be able to use my hand again. At least a little. I'll probably have like a brace for a while." "Well you are quite handy with your right hand." Maya said and kissed Carina behind her ear. "Oh. You think?" Carina smiked. "Mhm." Maya mumbled in Carinas neck.

Carina had still been working while she was in a cast. She was shadowing residents and doing charts, but she was ready to have two fully functioning hands again. And that disaponted her slightly. She got the cast of, but her fingers were stiff and hurt when she moved them. She got a brace and was told to do as much as didn't hurt, which was practially nothing. Carina however was stubborn to a fault and so she jumped right back in.

The first patient that she saw today was a young woman, who was pregnant with her second child. "Hello, Anastasia." Carina said. "Hello Dr. Deluca. Nice to see you again." "It is nice to be back." Carina smiled. "I heard you were injured?" Carina nodded and lifted her hand. "I broke my hand." "Ou. I hope its better now." "It is. I got the cast of today. I am so ready to do my work again. So, how are you doing?"

 The first two appointment went great, at the third Carina kept dropping utensils and the pain in her hand was really bad.

She took the brace off in her office and iced the hand. It felt good. The door opened and Link came in. "Hey. I wanted to ask you something. I have a patient with a broken hip. 14 weeks pregnant." "I am not cleared for surgery, as you know." Carina was a little pissed, but she didn't want her sentence to sound that harsh. "I know. I just want a consult." Link said and frowned at her hand. "What did you do?" "Its not that bad." Carina pulled her and away. "Show me!" Link said and Carina rolled her eyes but gave him her hand. He moved it and pressed into it. "Ahh." Carina said and pulled it away. "Carina, you need to start slow. It is still healing. If you work it to hard, like you did today, you are only going to cause damage." "I know. I am sorry." "Promise you take it easy." "I promise." "Okay. Now do you have time for a consult. No hands only brain." Carina laughed. "Okay."