10th chapter

As we entered the school building, we could feel the other students looking at us. We went straight on. It was always the same. As soon as someone who only knew us by sight saw us, they looked at us for a moment until the whispering began.

We gave each other an annoyed look and kept walking until we came to the portrait of the fat lady. We told her the password and she let us into our common room. "Hello Caelie, hello Garreth, nice to have you back!" I heard Natty call out. She waved her hand at us. Excellent. 

Everyone in the common room was staring at us. Natty wasn't sitting alone. Nellie, Cressida and Leander were also with her, and they were all examining us in detail. Cressida said goodbye because she wanted to practice one of her self-developed spells. So we sat down with the others. "Aaaaaaand?" asked Nellie, smiling expectantly. "What?" I asked a bit unnerved. "Well, what's up with you now? Are the rumors true?"

I was surprised. Natty already knew about that. After all, she saw us in the common room before we had to leave. "You did not say anything?" I asked Natty amazed. She shook her head, smiling. She was truly a good soul. "It wasn't easy at all. You wouldn't believe how many questions I was asked. I always said 'ask them yourself when they get back'." she said proudly. I took her hand and said "Thank you Natty, you are a really great friend". 

I turned back to Nellie just as Garreth was already taking the initiative. "Yes, Caelie and I are dating. No, we didn't have sex in the common room and no, we didn't go on vacation, we took care of my dad. But once he was stable and moved to another hospital, we're one time out in the evening, yesterday. So it's the weekend anyway." He had put it quite simply in a nutshell. Even if all the students present now knew about it. But it's better that way than constantly having to clear up rumours.

Leander had looked a little tense the whole time. "Leander, what's going on? Are you sick?" Gareth asked. "I've got another potion if you need one." "Thanks Garreth but no, I'm just feeling a bit drained and tense. I'm going to lie down for a bit." Leander answered and walked in the direction of the boys' dormitories.

"Something seems to be going around. Cressida has been in a bad mood all week. It wouldn't be so bad if she didn't take it out on us all the time." sighed Nellie. "But I'm really happy that you finally said it. It was really about time." she added. "That's right. I told her that before." Garreth said and gave me a kiss.

In the background we could hear a third year named Tracy Asbury sobbing. Two friends brought her from the common room. As we walked, the friends gave us very angry looks. There have been rumors about Tracy for a long time that she has her eye on Garreth. Whenever he had one of his own creations tasted, she was always very anxious to taste it, only to praise him extensively.

"Garreth, you're a heartbreaker!" said Nellie loudly. Raising his hands as if in surrender, he said dryly, "I've handled it as usual. I've told her for a long time that I'm not interested in her because I already have feelings for someone else. She responded by saying , that she will continue to try to win my heart over. But then I really can't do anything anymore." "'Like always'? Does that happen more often? It sounds very routine." laughed Natty.

"Well, not every day, but in recent years more often than I would like. I knew what, or rather who, I wanted. I didn't want to hurt anyone, so I always took the initiative when there were rumors and said, I wasn't interested. I wasn't always that smart either. There was a rumor in fourth grade that Cressida had feelings for me, so I did what I always do, and she's hated me ever since." he laughed slightly ashamed. "I wasn't trying to pretend, so I just wanted to be straight up with it. But she said the rumors were false and I guess I was pretty stupid to think someone like her would fall in love with someone like me."

He shrugged his shoulders and stood up. "Well then, I'll take my stuff to my room and go take a shower." he said. I nodded to the two girls and did the same.