55th chapter

"But you really have to keep that to yourself, yeah?" I said softly, "Natty is an animagus. In Uagadou, that's what they're taught in school, but I don't think she registered, so it has to stay between us."
"That would be perfect! We should just ask her later in the common room," Garreth said. I nodded.

"Or we invite her to our house. Her mother is also guarding her here.", suggested Sebastian. "Are you able to keep your hands off us the entire time?" Garreth laughed. "Good point, probably not," Sebastian replied, stroking Garreth's chin and then mine.

"We should go to dinner, though," Garreth said, straightening up, "and I should actually look at your notes." "We can study together here after dinner if you want Garreth." I said kissing him.

"Yeah, let's eat first and then we'll see. I'm really hungry." Garreth laughed and stood up.

We got dressed and went to the great hall. Garreth and I joined Natty and the other Gryffindors. Sebastian sat down with Ominis at the Slytherin table. Despite being a recognized member of our group, he was always reluctant to sit anywhere else and Sebastian didn't always want to leave him alone.

"Natty, can you come with me after dinner? We have a question for you, but we shouldn't discuss it here." I whispered in her ear. She nodded inconspicuously.
Garreth and I ate and went outside with Natty. It was already dark and quite chilly, so there were few other students outside.

"Natty, please help us become Animagi," I said softly when we got a little way outside the castle. Natty looked up at me with a smile. "I've been wondering when someone will finally ask me. But it's really difficult and if you get it wrong it can also be very dangerous. But I think you already know that. So, when do you want to start?", she asked laughing.

"As soon as you're ready," Garreth said. "So you have to start on a full moon night. The next full moon is Saturday night. Then you both have to put a mandrake leaf in your mouth. You have to wear this under your tongue until the next full moon. If you spit it out or swallow it, you have to start over," Natty said.

"That doesn't sound difficult." Garreth said easily. 

"Yes, that's the easy part. You then need a silver teaspoon each of dew that has spent a week untouched by humans in the dark and a death's-head hawkmoth chrysalis. That might be difficult. In addition, if the next full moon is cloudy, you'll have to start all over again. Since the mandrake leaf has to be taken out of the mouth in the moonlight. And if there is no moonlight, then the leaf loses its effect. Then the leaf must be placed in a crystal bottle. Then there is a hair of one's own, the dew and finally the chrysalis."

"Okay, I'm beginning to understand why there are so few Animagi." Garreth laughed. "No, in Uagadou almost all the students are also animagi. But that wasn't it at all. When everything is in the vial, it must be taken to a quiet, dark place where it will remain until the next thunderstorm.And whenever the sun rises or sets, you must hold your wand to your heart and say 'Amato Animo Animato Animagus'. When there is a thunderstorm, the potion is ready. Then you have to say the formula one last time and drink the potion. Then you've done it." Natty said.

"Could you please write that down for us? Sebastian wants to take part too and I'll forget everything again." Garreth said pleadingly. "Yes, I'll put the note in your bedside drawer later, Caelie.",  Natty said with a laugh, "I can guide you through it a bit if you want. I know where you can get the chrysalis and I know a good spot for the dew," she added.

"That would be awesome! Who knows better than the only one at our school who's already gone through the transformation," I said, smiling at Natty. "Well, it was easier for us because the school guided us through it. But you, or we, have to think of everything for ourselves. But we can manage it."

"Thank you Natty, really!" I said, giving her a big hug.

"Then how do I actually know what animal I'm transforming into? And is the animal the same shape as the Patronus?" Garreth asked.

"You don't know until it's all done. You'll feel a second heart in your chest beforehand, but you won't know its form until you can transform too. And the Patronus and Animagus forms are sometimes the same, but not always The Patronus is somewhat based on one's sensibilities, preferences, and memories, and may even change, but the animagus form does not change and is determined by one's character, nor can it be influenced," said Natty.

"I swear on Godric's sword, if that turns out to be a weasel too, I'm going to cry!" Garreth laughed as we headed back toward the castle.

We went back to the great hall but Sebastian wasn't there so we headed towards the common room. In front of the fat lady's portrait, Sebastian was sitting on the floor and talking to Jennie.