73rd chapter

Edvin and Garreth worked diligently on Garreth's newly developed heavy gases. It appeared to be just what we needed to induce effective intoxication in the open air.

The current problem was that the gases were currently still very odorous, so they tried different methods to make the poison odorless.

Philippe and Sebastian meanwhile tried to transfigure absolutely safe respirators. Fayette and I practiced the perfect attack in my squirrel form.

From time to time I hopped from shoulder to shoulder to watch everyone. The dynamic of our group was fantastic and my dad and Garreth in particular continued to thrive together.

Fayette and I were just sitting together with a cup of coffee between training sessions."I really wouldn't have said that my two almost-sons-in-law are so gloomy. Garreth especially always seems like sunshine.", she said softly while we watched the others.

"He is, mostly. But he's often very insecure. He threatened some boys who were interested in me," I said just as quietly, seeing Garreth and Edvin high-fiving each other. Something seemed to have worked.

"Really?" she asked uncertainly. I nodded, "Yeah, and because Sebastian kept looking at me, Garreth freaked out in fourth grade. I didn't know him that way either. He was always the sunshine to me that he is today the most of the time. I also wonder what's hidden inside him. I always thought Sebastian was a walking mystery, but I'm beginning to think Garreth's chasms could go deeper. At the end of the day, I love him and I know he would do anything for Sebastian and me. I also know for sure that he would never attack me. And everyone has their darkest thoughts. I am not judging them. Not Sebastian, not Garreth. I know they are both wonderful people." I said softly as Sebastian smiled at me.

"No, I didn't mean to imply that they are bad people. Absolutely not. They are both very great people. You should have seen them when you were gone. Garreth's eyes were all swollen and Sebastian looked quite rattled too. It means a lot to me that they came to us. That shows trust. And in the same way, I trust them that they are not evil people. There is darkness in all of us." Fayette said in a soft voice.

It took a few days for everyone to be prepared. I was a bit afraid. I didn't know if we'd survive this attack. But it needed to be done. Eventually they would attack me, too, I was sure of that. We had to get ahead of them.

Together we flew to Saint Cloud. Philippe showed us the property. It was a big, bright house. Similar to that of the Weasleys in Paris. All around was a stone wall and in front of the wall there were many large trees. There was a large meadow and other trees all around. So we didn't need to worry about Muggle viewers

Garreth and Sebastian kissed me lovingly goodbye. Possibly, it was the last time we had the opportunity. We didn't know how this fight was going to turn out today. We drank some of Garreth's excellent language potion to make sure we understood everything.

I transformed. I climbed up a tree and looked around. I was afraid, but I knew it was necessary. For my parents, for Philippe, for my own little family with Garreth and Sebastian and especially for Ellie.

I took a deep breath and tried to calm my pulse. I saw an older fair-haired woman with a stern expression. It had to be her. That must be my grandmother. I tried to think of the best and most deserted way. I climbed onto the roof of the house using a branch. She was sitting below me, just a few meters away. I silently climbed down to the stone floor.

She had no respect for other living creatures, so I knew if she caught me, it would be my death sentence. I stood behind her and took one last deep breath before jumping on top of her. She started screaming when she noticed me, but by then I had already buried my long teeth in her throat. I bit down again and again while she screamed loudly.