87th chapter

The night progressed and Garreth signed the employment contract with Matilda. She told him that the teachers returned to the castle on August 30 to prepare.

So the teachers still had three days before they really started their work at the weekend, or in Garreth's case, on Monday.

She informed him that of course he would be getting a little less pay due to his absences, but as it was still more than double what Pippins wanted to pay it was still extremely lucrative.

We had a house with a garden to grow our vegetables in, Garreth could sew and do reparations around the house himself, so we didn't need a lot of money.

So we were able to save up for really opening a bakery one day. I rested my head on Garreth's lap until I eventually fell asleep while he scratched my head.

When I woke up the next morning, I was lying in my home bed and Garreth was snoring softly next to me. I snuggled up to him and enjoyed the relaxation.

The next few weeks went by pretty quickly. Garreth and Gwen checked on the babies' condition every day until Garreth finally let me check it myself. And then I saw them. They grew larger every day. It was impressive that my body could do something like this.

We celebrated Garreth's birthday in a small group. My belly was really, really big now and I couldn't fit into any unenchanted clothes anymore. I found it increasingly difficult to move, but Garreth was always by my side.

He was enormously happy when he saw the babies moving in my belly. He, Yvain and Edvin did a lot of building at home. Although they didn't add anything to the house yet, they set up the house with furniture for the babies. Edvin had built us two little cradles that looked exactly like the ones they used to cradle me in.

The holidays passed quicker than I would have liked. August flew by and Garreth was getting more and more nervous.

And then came the 30th of August. Garreth's first day on the job.

Garreth's point of view:

I got up early, prepared Caelie's breakfast and waited for my parents and Aunt Matilda. We wanted to travel together to the castle. I was, I have to admit, really scared of the reaction of the other teachers.

There was a soft knock and Mum and Dad stood outside the door, smiling. "Come in quickly, the mom-to-be is still asleep. The babies were up half the night and kicked her hard," I said, laughing. I was so proud of Caelie. She did so well and I was really sorry that I couldn't help her any more, but instead spent every working day in the castle from now on.

"Do you think I can go into the castle like this?" I asked both of them. "Of course, why not?" Dad asked me confused. "I dunno, I just want to look neat without wearing my school uniform."

Dad rolled his eyes slightly and a moment later there was another knock. Aunt Matilda came. "You look good. Very presentable," she said, smiling. We've spent a lot of time together over the last few weeks. She prepared me for my work and gave me loads of good tips.

I caught myself nervously ruffling my hair and wiggling it back and forth. I was really terribly nervous. Three months ago I was still in the castle as a student and now my teachers should be my colleagues? An odd feeling.

"Well yes, I've got everything ready. If anything comes up, let me know and I'll be right back. Caelie wants to give birth at home. So Mum, you know what to do. I put everything that she needs for childbirth in this bag. But if anything, please let me know, okay?" "Gary, relax. I've been through this a few times with the births, don't forget that," Mum said, smiling lovingly at me.