22nd chapter

An indescribable pain went through my body. I immediately collapsed. Garreth held me and lowered me gently onto his lap. I was still writhing in pain. This pain, it was unbearable. I wanted to scream and cry, but my body was paralyzed. 

After a few seconds or minutes, I had completely lost my sense of time, the pain eased a little. I saw Sebastian standing over me and trembling. Something wet dropped on my forehead. It was a tear that dripped from the tip of Garreth's nose. "It's barbaric. I've never seen anything like it," Garreth said, his voice shaking. 

I slowly straightened up again. "Oh Caelie, I'm so sorry. I'm eternally grateful to you for that... And at least the door is open.", Sebastian said relieved.

"But was it worth it for the price you paid?" Ominis asked quietly as he approached us.

I stayed seated for a moment to calm myself. Garreth was distraught. I stroked him on the cheek. "I should have put up with it," he said softly. I shook my head. Sebastian was already waiting impatiently, so I got up. I was still a bit wobbly on my feet, so Garreth held me. We entered the room. "By Merlin's beard. It's really here. Salazar Slytherin's book!" Sebastian exclaimed enthusiastically. He walked over to the desk and picked up the large, dark, dusty book. Garreth set me down on the chair at the desk and looked around.

He took a couple of books from the shelf and examined them carefully. "Hmm, he didn't seem to have much interest in the art of brewing, it's a shame," Garreth said. "But do you really want to work with recipes from such a cruel person?" Ominis asked skeptically. "You've got a good point there. Maybe it's for the best," Garreth said, giving one last sad look at the shelves while turning back to me. 

Sebastian was delighted. He went through all the books one after the other and looked to see if he could find any valuable information. "Sebastian, you shouldn't do this," Ominis said calmly. "Ominis, I have the opportunity here to find a cure for Anne. I can't stop. Not now that I see a new chance.", Sebastian answered while still studying the books. Ominis turned away and shook his head. "You don't know what you're getting yourself into." He said almost in a whisper.

"What are you going to do with the book now?" Garreth asked. "The same thing I do with all books. I'll read it.", Sebastian answered calmly.

"Can we go please? I detest this place.", Ominis said. "I wish I could just stay here. But I owe you one. Then let's go," Sebastian said while grabbing the book from Salazar Slytherin. "Guys, how are we actually going to get out of here? The door in front of the crucio door is closed," Garreth said while looking down the long hallway.

I stood up The effects of the Cruciatus curse were now completely gone. I was looking around and pacing the room when I saw a stone statue. I tapped her and she opened a hidden door. Apparently it led into the hall in front of the Slytherin common room. One after the other we stepped out of the scriptorium.

"We swear, here and now, that we will stay away from this dark magic in the future. We could have died.", Ominis said upset. "Understood.", Sebastian said, "And Ominis, I'm really sorry about what happened to your aunt."

Ominis turned away without a word and went into the Slytherin common room. Sebastian huffed annoyed as he looked after him.

"Well then I'll go after you. I just have to read the book. I didn't think it would be so easy to find this book!", he said beaming. "Easy? You really found it easy?" Garreth asked angrily, "You tortured Caelie for it, Sallow. And you call that easy? Are you goddamn serious?!". His face flushed with anger. He looked as if he would have liked to hit Sebastian. Sebastian's eyes widened, "Calm down, Weasley, I didn't mean it like that." He looked deep into my eyes, "You know what I meant, don't you?". I nodded slightly.