17th chapter

"Garreth, we need to talk," I said after greeting each other. He nodded. Without a word, we walked side by side. It almost felt like he already had a premonition.

Felix, please function, I repeated like a mantra in my head as we walked out of the castle.We sat down by the well behind the greenhouses. In spring and summer this small garden was beautiful. Now in late autumn, most of the flowers had already faded, but at least it was a little quieter and more isolated here than on the rest of the site.

"Garreth, I... I did something and I don't know how to tell you. I'm so sorry." I started to cry. "I... I slept with Sebastian. I have feelings for him."

I saw that he started to cry too. "So that's it? I've been waiting for you all these years and you finally dumped me for Sallow?" I shook my head in panic, "No, I love you." "And that's why you let him fuck you at the first opportunity? Don't be ridiculous, Caelie."

Garreth walked to the wall and gazed into the distance. "I just wanted to be happy with you. Until the end of our days. Why? Why are you doing this? And why him?"

I stood beside him. "I don't know. It started a few years ago." "I know." "Is that why you poisoned him?". Almost imperceptibly, he nodded. "So he knew it was me." He said quietly. The tear-stained face still staring into the distance.

"Garreth, you never gave me a choice. How was I ever supposed to make a fair decision when you just threatened and intimidated every guy who was interested in me?"

"What else should I have done? He was interested in you and you in him. I would have lost you." He looked at me with his tear-streaked face. "I didn't want to lose you. You're the center of my world. You're the woman I wanted to grow old with... and still want to. I don't want to live without you, don't you understand?"

We were both silent for a few minutes. I didn't want to see Garreth suffer. But I just couldn't swallow the feelings I had for Sebastian.

"So will you accept my decision?". He looked at me and replied, "I guess I'll at least try.""I want you both. I love you, Garreth, but I can't ignore the feelings for Sebastian anymore."

"You're asking a lot of me, Caelie," he said softly, "How do you imagine that? How is that supposed to work? How am I supposed to take that? I can't watch my biggest competitor nailing my girlfriend." . He sounded really desperate.

"Honestly, I don't really know either. I didn't choose those feelings. I never had the choice to be interested in anyone else before. Everyone who was interested was afraid of you and your abilities... All I know is that I don't want to lose you. But neither Sebastian. I'm so confused and insecure. I know I'm asking something really hard of you, but please try to understand me. I beg you, Garreth. Let me make my own decision for once."

He nodded. "I'll try it.". He put a hand around me and pulled me by the waist. I rested my head on his shoulder. For a while we looked into the distance together until we both calmed down.

"But why did you rub it in Sebastian's face that we had sex?" I asked him. "I don't know either, honestly. You know me, I don't always think before I do something.", he said, laughing slightly ashamed.

"He seriously wanted to kill you." I said worried. "Yes, but Caelie, how was he supposed to do that?" he asked further with a smile on his face. "Sebastian has mastered the three unforgivable curses," I answered seriously.

"Oh. Well, that could have ended badly. I always thought he had a thing for dark magic." He said appreciatively as the laughter faded from his face. "But it's not like you're any less dangerous," I replied with a smile. "Right," he laughed and gave me a kiss on the top of my head.

"Would you be okay if I set up a meeting with him sometime when you're ready? I want to talk to both of you. Then we can work things out and stuff like that."

"Does Sallow know about your decision yet?" I nodded and said, "Yes, he was there when I made it."

"Oh Caelie, what's this going to be?" he asked without expecting an answer. He hugged me even tighter and kissed my head again.