51st chapter

The days went by and Valentine's Day was approaching. Sebastian and I went to Hogsmeade to buy ingredients for chocolates. In the Room of Requirement, we prepared two packs for Garreth.

"It doesn't look bad at all." Sebastian said as we looked at our chocolates. I looked at him. His cheeks were red and he smiled brightly at me. His eyes brightened again. I turned to him and hugged him. We hugged each other long and tight.

Breaking out of the embrace, I kissed him. Despite spending almost every day in the Room of Requirement for the past few weeks, we hadn't been intimate since Garreth's absence. It just felt wrong and we both really had other concerns than sex.

Now, however, it felt good again to touch Sebastian so intimately. I took his hand and led him to the bed. We took off our clothes and lay down. We caressed our naked bodies gently.

"I love you, Sebastian. And thank you for always being by my side these past few weeks," I said, gently stroking the scars on his chest.

"And I will always be by your side as long as you want me with you." He whispered and kissed me.

I turned further to him and stroked his brown, soft hair. He slowly began to straighten up. He knelt between my legs and started rubbing my clitoris with his erect penis. I was already wet and absolutely ready. I grabbed Sebastian by his hair and gently pulled him forward, signaling for him to penetrate me.

He slowly pushed his dick into me and began to thrust gently. I placed my hand on his cheek and caressed it. For what felt like an eternity, we hadn't had such tender sex. Sebastian was just more of a tough guy in bed, which I normally appreciated about him, but right now this tenderness was perfect.

He looked into my eyes intently and kissed me. It didn't take long for Sebastian to cum inside me.

"Sorry, it's been a while. I don't think I've been sober that long since I found out that thing wasn't just for peeing," he said, mortified.

"It's not bad. Come and let's cuddle a little more." I said and pulled him back to me. "Don't you want to come yourself?" Sebastian asked confused. "No, it's not necessary. I wanted intimacy, not an orgasm. I wanted to feel and touch you properly again."

Sebastian smiled softly and lay back down next to me. We snuggled up to each other and stayed until late in the evening. Just before curfew, we said goodbye to each other and scurried into our common room.

The following morning I asked Sebastian if we wanted to spend the coming weekend at our house. We decided to gather ingredients that Garreth could use for potions. His supplies were running out and even after his release he wouldn't be able to burden himself like that again immediately.

When we got back to Devon after class I remembered the note Adaliz had given me. I showed it to Sebastian. "Do you know the language?" I asked as we curled up on the sofa with a glass of gin, snuggled up against each other.

"I'm not sure. But all I can think of off the top of my head is Old English, Faroese, and Icelandic, where Eth and Thorn were used," Sebastian said, resting his head on mine. "What the hell are Eth and Thorn?" I asked with a laugh.

"Those are the letters there. The ð is an eth, and the þ is a thorn. The letters aren't used very much these days, but I saw them more often in ancient writings, so I had to learn that." He laughed lightly , "But I'm sure I'll find a dictionary in the library, I'll be happy to look for it next week if you like. Or we'll look together, just as you wish."

"Sebastian, I actually have another request for you. We got a tip. My father's family was from Inverness and I would really like to do some research there. Would you like to accompany me?" I asked.

Sebastian grinned from ear to ear when I looked at him, "I'd love to! I haven't been there in ages!". "You know this town?"

"Caelie, are ye serious aboot this question? I'm Scots, hae ye forgotten thae? O' coorse I knaw Inverness.", he rolled his eyes jokingly, as he spoke with scots accent, "It's a Muggle town, but not far from Hogwarts. We fly from Hogsmeade maybe twenty minutes. When do you want to go?" "Tomorrow?"

"Okay, then we're flying to Inverness tomorrow. I also know a small family that Solomon would take us to visit from time to time. The mother works in the town hall. If anyone can help us, it's her!"

We enjoyed our evening together on the sofa and read in front of the crackling fireplace before we went to bed. The next morning we made breakfast together and flew back to the floo powder fireplace. Once on the outskirts of Inverness, Sebastian shrunk our broomsticks down to hand size, so my broomstick fit in my small bag while Sebastian tucked his in his robe.

He straightened his hair, took my hand and walked me to a nice house in the busy city center. He knocked, and a beautiful girl with long silvery-blonde hair and golden eyes opened the door for him.

"Elva?" he asked. She smiled mischievously at him, "Sebastian, you've grown into a really handsome man."

She studied him extensively before she looked at me. "And who are you?" Her gaze was much cooler now and the smile had disappeared from her face.

"This is Caelie. She is my girlfriend". Elva looked at me skeptically before turning back to Sebastian.

"What brings you here after all these years?" she asked. "I'm helping Caelie to gather information. Is your mother there?" Sebastian replied.

"Come in, Sebastian. Mother is at the market right now, she should be back soon. She'll be amazed when she sees you.", said Elva and waved into the house.

"Karlee, do you need an extra invitation or are you coming in too?" Elva asked annoyed.

I wanted to puke when I saw her straightening his shirt collar and praising his great perfume. I was trying to control my breathing so as not to scream when the front door opened. A slender, silver-blonde lady in her 50s came in and smiled at us in a friendly way.

"Mother, Sebastian is here.", said Elva and took Sebastian by the hand to her mother.

"Oh Sebastian, we haven't seen each other for a long time! You've grown up! And who is the young lady?" She asked and looked at me.

I stood up and gave her my hand, "Good morning, I'm Caelie. Sebastian's partner." Somewhat provocatively I emphasized my name and the word "partner". Out of the corner of my eye I saw Elva look at Sebastian in disgust and release his hand.

Elva's mother continued to smile happily at me, "Man Sebastian, you've chosen a pretty girlfriend! She really is very pretty!" Elva's face froze, "Oh yeah, breathtaking." Elva said annoyed.

Sebastian gave me a satisfied smile and put an arm around my waist, eh loving "Yes, she is beautiful" said and gave me a small kiss on the top of my head.

"How do you know each other? Do you go to school together? How long have you been together?" Elva's mother asked interested and poured us a cup of tea.

"Yes, we're in the same year. Only a few months, but I had my eye on her shortly after we started school.", Sebastian answered and blushed a bit.

"Are you telling me that you dumped me for that crow?" Elva said quietly but very angry. Her face twisted absurdly, bringing a small smile to my face.

"My goodness, Elva, calm down," her mother said. "NO! Not with what Sebastian did to me!" Elva yelled. Her face deformed even more and it looked like her face would become more pointed towards the front.

"Elva, that was so many years ago. Does she still hold that against me, Orla?" he asked annoyed, giving Elva's mother a desperate look.

Elva started screaming and her face grew sharper, "For that filthy piece of cattle, did you leave me? And then you dare to come back here after all these years?!"

"Elva, go to your room!" Orla called to her daughter, but Elva continued to yell, "No! When he got to the door, I thought he was going to apologize. But the fact that he then had the audacity to present his ugly whore to me is just the last straw!"

Suddenly she screeched and all of a sudden there was a really ugly human-bird in her place. It opened its beak and fired a volley of ping-pong-sized fireballs at me. Even before I could react, Sebastian fended off the attack. He got up, went to Elva, drew back his hand and slapped her across the face.

"Don't you dare attack her again, or I'll pluck every feather out of your wings. And apart from Caelie, do you really think I could have put up with your behavior forever? You haven't changed. You still think only of yourself. And when the princess doesn't get what she wants, she freaks out and shows her true colors." Sebastian hissed angrily, sitting down next to me again and checking to see if I had gotten anything.

Orla turned away from her daughter and smiled slightly. Elva ran up the stairs, screaming. We lingered wordlessly for a few minutes, drinking our tea.

"Orla, I'm sorry I freaked out, but I can't tolerate her attacking Caelie." Sebastian said ruefully, but Orla shrugged.

"You don't have to apologize. I think it's nice that you're protecting your girlfriend. And well, we both know how Elva is." She said casually, "But then tell me, what brings you to us?"

"We're looking for information about my family. My father appears to be from Inverness. You might know him. Edvin Lewis," I said. She smiled at me, "Of course. The hair and eye color, I didn't recognize it right away. Didn't Marlee ever tell you anything?"

"Marlee was murdered over 3 years ago," I said softly, watching Orla's smile fade.

"But where do you know Marlee from?" I asked confused. "She was my sister-in-law. My husband and Marlee's husband are siblings. Marlee and Todd moved south a long time ago, but both are from Inverness.", Orla replied, "I'm very sorry, I didn't know she wasn't alive anymore. Since the death of her husband, she's been so secluded, and she hasn't come to visit either. The memories must have hurt her too much. The last sign of life I got from her was a letter many years ago in which she wrote me that her goddaughter had given her a purpose in life again.

"And my dad? What do you know about Edvin?" I asked, "I didn't want to know about my parents when I was little, and by the time I had questions, Marlee was gone. I pretty much know nothing about him. I didn't even know what he was connected to Marlee."

"So Marlee was a second cousin or something of Edvin's. I think their grandmothers were siblings. I knew Edvin quite well. He and his wife lived with you for a while with his parents here in Inverness. They always came to visit us. Sebastian, for my 30th birthday party, even your parents were there with you and Anne. The four of you played together. You may have been three years old. Anne and Elva were totally jealous because you only wanted to play alone with Caelie all evening. That's when Elva transformed for the first time, she was so angry." Orla said with a smile.

Sebastian and I looked at each other, blushing. My brain was working overtime trying to make sense of everything. Sebastian stroked my thigh continuously and listened intently.

"But how do you know the Sallows?" I asked. The connections irritated me. Sebastian and Elva had obviously had some common experiences.

"Solomon was in a relationship with my sister Devina for a few years. They were planning their marriage when Devina got pregnant. She and the child both died in childbirth. And a few months later Annabel and Samuel, Sebastian and Anne's parents, died. It's really a tragedy.", Orla said quietly, "Solomon used to come to visit regularly after Devina died, especially because Sebastian and Elva liked each other so much. And so Solomon and I could talk about the old days. I know he's difficult, but he really blossomed when he was with Devina. My sister was really good for him. But as the years went by, he came to us less and less. After Sebastian and Elva had a falling out, he didn't come to us at all."
"Why did you two quarrel?" I asked Sebastian, who immediately blushed and sipped his cup in embarrassment.

"Well, we always said as kids that we wanted to get married someday. We even had our first kiss the summer before school started and I really liked her, despite her constant freaks. But the first time we met, after first year at school, I told her that we can't get married anymore because I saw a beautiful girl at school and I couldn't get her out of my head... you, Caelie. Then Elva totally freaked out and singed my eyebrows and eyelashes." He smiled at me. 

"You Veelas can be really scary.", Sebastian said and turned to Orla on the last sentence.

"Veelas?" I asked confused. The term sounded familiar to me, but I couldn't imagine what it meant. "I am a Veela. We are women who are fundamentally human beings, but when they get angry, they turn into what you saw Elva earlier. An ugly harpy form. Elva is only half-Veela but has way too much temperament. I may have transformed once or twice in my life." Orla said softly.

Of course, that explained why Elva attacked me.
"Mrs...?" I noticed that she hadn't said me her last name. Did she have the same surname as Marlee? "Fox. But just say Orla please," she interjected, smiling.

"Orla, do you know where my parents are?" I asked. "Well, I don't have any definite information, but I do know that Edvin and also his wife, Fayette, if I remember correctly her name was, started learning Icelandic before Edvin's parents were murdered. So it wouldn't surprise me if they went to Iceland. They seem to be alive though. From time to time, when I'm in the cemetery tending Devina's grave, I see flowers on the Lewis' grave. Most recently at the turn of the year."

"And do you know anything else about your family? Has Marlee ever told you something?" Orla asked. "No, I didn't want to know all that. We could only find a photo of Edvin.", I answered and took the picture out of my bag. She smiled deeply as she looked at the picture.

"Edvin was a great person. Always a smile, a heart of pure gold and always looking to make everyone around him happy. I hope he's doing well," Orla said, looking into her cup.

Orla asked us to stay for lunch. She called Elva out of her room to eat. She was now human again. Silently, she sat down and looked down at her plate. Now I felt a little sorry for her. It seems she hasn't lost her feelings for Sebastian over the years.

"Elva, I'm really sorry. Then as well as now, but I can't change my feelings.", Sebastian said during the meal. Elva nodded silently. She pointed to my hand and asked, "When are you getting married?"

Sebastian choked on his potato. "Next summer when we're done with school," I said to spare him further explanation. Again, Elva nodded.