88th chapter

Focus, Garreth. Focus on your work. The sooner you finish, the sooner you can be back with your lovely wife, I thought to myself, wiping the tears from my eyes and taking all the folders out of the closet again and working my way through.

My self-writing pen made my work a lot easier.

It wrote down the bullet points I dictated as I read. In just a few hours I worked my way through all the groups for the whole of September.

Luckily my memory was great on the subject of potions and I remembered most of what Aesop had said at the time. As a result, I needed fewer notes than I initially thought.

I went to the classroom. The cauldrons were clean, as were all the bottles, glasses, and ladles. I set up my desk in the classroom a bit and got my notes ready for the coming Monday.

Well done, Garreth, I thought to myself. I've been really productive. I looked at the clock and saw that it was 1:40 p.m. I'd been working all noon.

I was looking for Aunt Matilda. I already knew what my normal working days looked like, but what did I do now? Did I have to stay?

I went into the Transfiguration courtyard. It was odd how quiet the castle was. I walked into her classroom when she was already smiling broadly at me. "And? How far are you?" she asked me. "I've set up my office and checked the materials," I said, smiling. "Yes, that's enough for the first day." "And I've prepared classes for the whole of September," I added. Her mouth dropped open. Did I do something wrong?

"For the whole of September? For all the groups? Really?" she asked incredulously.

I nodded, "Yes, tomorrow I just have to prepare the tests. I thought two small grades a month is a good average, right? I thought one for theory and one for a practical assignment. Does that sound good?" I asked uncertainly, but she gave me a happy nod.

"May I see your notes?" she asked me. "Sure, you just have to come to my office." I said with a smile. I didn't know how to take it that she was so skeptical about my preparation for class.

On the one hand, of course, it's great that she wants to check it, after all she's an experienced teacher, but on the other hand, I would have been happy about a little trust, but I swallowed that. I was new and there's nothing wrong with a little skepticism.

We walked into my new office together. She looked around and smiled when she saw the pictures on the wall.

"Here. These are the plans for the first week. Only Monday is already out there on the desk. And here are weeks two, three and four.", I said and handed her my paper.

She read it all through, and with each page her smile grew wider. "That's perfect, Gary. Well done! You'll definitely get through the class with this. I'm very proud of you.", she said and smiled lovingly at me.

"How's that going now? Do I have to do anything else? Apart from preparing the tests?" I asked cautiously, but Matilda shook her head. "No, not really. Please come with me in the morning anyway. If Black finds out how fast you work, you won't get paid for the rest of the time," she said quietly. I nodded. "But I guess you can go home for today," she said, her eyes still glued to my notes.

I said goodbye to her and headed towards Black's office. I knocked, but nobody opened the door. "Professor Black, here is Garreth Weasley, sir. I'd very much like to use your floo powder fireplace," I called out loud, but no one responded.

I opened the door and nobody was there. I went to the chimney and traveled home.

Dad was sitting outside cutting up some massive wooden beams. I greeted him and went into our house.