45th chapter

Two more days passed while Garreth and Sebastian worked meticulously on the basement.

On the third day, as we sat around the table and had breakfast, I asked her if we would all like to learn the Patronus Charm together. Sebastian and Garreth both nodded to me. The question had been going through my head for the last few days, but both of them were very busy with the construction work on the basement, so I didn't want to bother them any further, but I really wanted to learn this magic.

I took the book and we went outside. It was a really chilly Monday morning. I explained to both of them how the spell was supposed to work. You had to think of a really happy memory to be able to summon a Patronus form.

I thought of Marlee, and our time together, but nothing more than a faint light came from my wand. I huffed and tried again.

After a few minutes, Garreth shouted excitedly: "Guys, I think it'll work for me."

He tried one more time and sure enough, a small oblong animal came out of his wand. It glowed and flew around us even though it didn't have wings. I was trying to make out what it was when Sebastian burst out laughing, "Seriously Garreth. A weasel? Sorry, but that's too funny. A Weasley with a weasel, I can't take it anymore."

Garreth looked a bit disappointed, "That's not your normal weasel to idiot, that's an ermine. Weasels are smaller. "Well, I think it's cute. It suits you. And not because of the hair or the name, but because weasels are sweet and cunning creatures. Like you." I said and tapped the tip of his nose. He blushed a little and kissed my forehead.

"How did it work out for you so quickly?" I asked curiously. He blushed even more, "Well, first I thought about grandpa. I went through various memories but none of them wanted to work out. Then I thought about our first time. It didn't work out either, but I noticed that at least I was getting a little further with it. Then I thought about the night under the oak tree in autumn. When I thought about the moment we confessed our feelings and kissed for the first time, it worked. So yes, you must remember the happiest moment of your life."

I thought about the night under the oak tree too, but it didn't work. I saw that Garreth was playing with his weasel or ermine and Sebastian kept trying and was getting pretty angry by now. "Sebastian, you should think about happy moments. Not moments that made you angry." Garreth said smiling.

I tried everything that came to my mind. The summers with Garreth at the Weasleys, Marlee, when Adaliz told me about my parents, my first time with Sebastian. I stood there a little helpless and thought. I thought about my first day at Hogwarts, I was thinking about Garreth's and my engagement. That too was fruitless. 

Garreth continued to play with his ermine, letting it race happily around his head. He looked so infinitely cute doing it. He was wearing a tan shirt and gray pants with suspenders, and his strawberry-blonde curls stood out wildly from his head as always.

I tried with that. A thought suddenly struck me. I thought of our night at the Three Broomsticks. And indeed. The cone of light formed on my wand for the first time. I intensified my thoughts. It was the moment after the sex when we all three lay completely exhausted in bed and both snuggled up to me and I watched them a bit.

My Patronus began to take shape. And when I saw which, my mouth dropped. It was a beautiful luminous phoenix.

"Okay, so now I'm ashamed of the weasel, or ermine or whatever it is," Garreth said as he stared at my phoenix. The phoenix made wide circles around our heads.

"What was your memory?" Sebastian asked. "The night in the three broomsticks. When you were sleeping, I watched you for a bit. You both look so cute when you're sleeping.", I answered and blushed as well.

"Go in, I'm still thinking about what it could be for me.", Sebastian said softly. Garreth and I nodded, dismissed our Patronus, and headed back into the house. I washed all of our dirty clothes and Garreth dried them. We were just about done when Sebastian called us.

"I made it.", he beamed at us. Beside him stood a being. A deer? No. It looked as if it had scales. I was irritated. "This is a Quilin. A magical beast from Asia. Half dragon, half horse. Anne and I read about it once and we were so intrigued. These creatures see into people's hearts and know if their hearts are pure. And when it does, they bow to you... I just don't think it would bow to me, but they're thoroughly fascinating creatures," said Sebastian.

"And I've got a frigging weasel. Wonderful," Garreth said, tossing his head back.

"It was our birthday. Our last birthday is the happiest memory I have." He smiled. I walked up to him and gave him a kiss on the cheek, "Well then, let's make countless happy memories."