76th chapter

Sebastian and I looked at one another in surprise. Garreth grabbed a full bottle of liquor and climbed onto the roof of the house. His expression was serious and concerned.

We climbed behind and sat down with him. Unfortunately, it wasn't quite as comfortable as at the Weasleys' house. He lit the Bummed Cigarette and thought. I could see he was shaking.

"Garreth, talk to us." I said quietly and stroked his thigh.

"Yeah, I just don't know how to say it," he murmured softly as well.

"Garreth, if you don't want me around anymore, it's okay, you just have to say so.", Sebastian said and looked at the moon. "What? No! I don't mean that at all. No, Sebastian, I love you. You'll stay with us.", he said and smiled at Sebastian before his eyes dropped again.

"No, this isn't about you. It's about me. I just don't know how to say it," he said. Sebastian and I looked at each other worried. Did he want to leave us?

"Just say it. You're scaring me," I whispered. He gave me a startled look before looking down again.

"Okay, frankly then. I'm a murderer. And I don't want to bring this secret into my marriage. I want you to have a choice not to marry me after all," he whispered. Sebastian and I exchanged a look. "Who did you kill?" asked Sebastian.

"My grandpa. Not on purpose, but it was my fault," he said in a whisper and I realized he was crying.

"I poisoned him. And neither he nor I knew of an antidote. Now I know how it happened, but neither of us knew it then. It was supposed to be an anti-gout potion, but I made a mistake out of ignorance." He cried even more.

"I used to bring him my potions. I couldn't do magic back then. And I didn't know that you couldn't mix horclump juice with lacewings at such a high temperature.

As a result, a strong but slow toxin is formed. And that poison killed my grandpa." He said, still crying hard, before taking a deep breath.

"It was a warm and sunny autumn morning and I had just finished this new recipe. Grandpa would always check my potions to see if I made any mistakes, and if so, what. At first he tasted and praised me, but after a few hours he felt strange. I told him exactly what I did. I hadn't used a single dangerous ingredient, so we both didn't understand what had caused the poisoning.

He pretended to be sick in front of my parents. To this day, apart from me, no one knew the truth. Even then, my parents were wondering why no healing methods worked, but grandpa said it was perfectly okay to die. He had accomplished everything. Three children, all living a good life and five young grandchildren, one of whom is just as enthusiastic about brewing as he is, who can continue his legacy.

He has forbidden me to tell my parents the truth. He said they would only try to ban my passion, but Grandpa wanted me to be better than he was. He was the first to understand that I had a talent and he encouraged it as best he could. He didn't reduce me to my pranks or my experiments. He didn't care if I was going to be a squib or not.

He wanted me to be able to do without magic. That's why he showed me a lot of how muggles did things, so I'd be prepared in case my magic really didn't show up anymore.

Unfortunately, he wasn't able to see me use magic for the first time.

It has been almost ten years since his death, but the pain and guilt continue. I thought over the years the pain would fade away. But my guilt is driving me insane. I murdered my beloved grandpa. I looked up to him so much and he really was my biggest idol. And then I murdered him," he said, and cried out loud again before taking a long gulp from the liquor bottle.