Chapter 119 - 119 - The Anticipating Wait

Warm sunlight gleamed inside the glass window. Precipitation from his breath fogged it a bit.

Zou Wei wiped the window down, sighed even loudly. "Fourth morning without him..." he leaned his head on the cold glass with his eyes tightly closed.

A sudden sound startled him. "Nui...." he ran to the kitchen. His wife stood by the sink with a burned pot of gravy.

"oh honey... looks like I kind of overcooked this..." he hurriedly scrubbed the pot but the black grime stuck on hard. "What is this dish washer? It's not getting this off...." she scrubbed vigorously.

He peered at her. His wife's face had shrunken, making her high cheekbones prominent. The most noticeable was her dark circles.

He gently touched her under eyes.

Nui flinched back. "Zou baba don't touch me when I'm working," she awkwardly smiled.

"Nui, here ill wash it," he took the metal scrub from her and cleaned the pot up. "Why don't you take a nap? I'll make us some hit soup,"

"no, I want to make braised pork. It's his favourite. I want it to be ready and hot when he comes back." she took out another pot but her trembling hands could not hold it well.

The pot clattered down loudly.

"He.... he will come back, right?" her small voice came out hesitantly.

"of course he will! He is our son! He cans survive anything!" Zou Wei whispered, picking the pot up. "Don't ever lose hope! Even if it takes days or months or years, we will wait for him with hope. Got it..."

Zou Nui sobbed loudly, hugging her face. "it's my fault.. I ever should have told him about Tian. Husband, it's my fault our son is not here."

He swiftly pulled her into a tight embrace, patting her stiff back. "Shh... it's not your fault. It's not. You know how stubborn Yue is," he gently rocked her side to side trying to sooth her sobs.

Nui rubbed her face against his collar. "I just want him back... I just want my child back,"

"Yes, he will. He will come back.."

Zou Wei gently rocked her until she fell asleep in his arms.

Hary walked into the kitchen carrying a huge bag of rice.

Zou Wei gestured of him to be silent and picked his wife up gingerly.

He placed her on the soft bed and covered her up with the sheet. Like a little baby, she slept soundly.

"How is she, mister Zou?" Hary whispered softly.

"Barely holding it together," he closed the door silently. "how is everything looking?"

"Two of the five refrigerators have stopped working. I tried fixing it but I don't have much knowledge in that area. The glass above the garden area I tried my best to fix it." he shrugged.

Zou Wei walked to the small garden area and glanced up. The grill area was secure, but the temper glass surface had a small hole from the meteor. Hary had somehow fixed it with tape.

"I don't think tape will hold it together..." he still patted the man's back for his efforts. "You don't have to do so much, Hary. Just take a rest."

"Sir, I was hired by Yue to take care of you. There is not much to do around here. At least I could be of help," Hary said with a soft smile.

"Good kid," he squatted down and grabbed a fist full of soil. It was loose and slightly moist. "I think we can start planting some green. How about snap peas? We can eat their leaves as well as their pods. Maybe sweet potatoes near the corners. What do you think?"