𝟎𝟒𝟒: 𝐋𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐁𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫

Timeleaping: An occurrence that is possible when an individual is met with deep regrets before death. Giving them a second chance to correct or change their past.

Evidence: Hanagaki Takemichi.

Known Information:
The second the individual dies, they are forced into the past. Leaping into the same date and time but twelve years ago.

When the timeleaper entrusts someone with the information of their ability and shakes hands with them, they're able to leap back to their original time. Becoming a 'portal' for the timeleaper. For our instance, Hanagaki Takemichi is the timeleaper and I, Tachibana Naoto, am the portal.

At first, Takemichi's body was an empty vessel when he leaps into the past. In a coma-like state. His conscience travelled in the past. Over time, Takemichi's body in the present has gained its own consciousness. Able to make its own decisions. My partner has theorized that Takemichi from the present and past switched consciences.

So far, there haven't been any signs of physical drawbacks.

Possibilities of this ability:
- Choosing a time period to leap to (Past or future)
- Passing the ability over

The origins of the timeleaping are still vague. It's possible Takemichi was born with it, similar to my partner's ability. In the case that this power can be passed on: Has someone passed it to Takemichi?

In addition, does the connection between the timeleaper and portal matter? Do they need to share the same motives? Or the same will to timeleap? Or is physical contact with the portal only necessary to activate timeleaping?

Unlike my partner's ability, timeleaping is very dependent. If the portal dies, the timeleaper can't go back to either the past or present. If the timeleaper dies, will the ability be passed onto the portal (if it can be passed on)? And if the portal dies, is it possible for the timeleaper to have a portal?

Takemichi and I have been working for almost a year now and this ability is still new to both of us. As for our shared mission, he has succeeded. Tachibana Hinata is alive as of 2018. Takemichi has not come back to the present yet. But it could be anytime soon.

As he changes occurrences in the past, the future changes as well. My memories of them, however, have not. I remember each timeline. So has my partner. Or more like 'previous' partner. With the changes in the past, she and I aren't professionally involved anymore. Unlike the previous timelines.

It's apparent that anyone can become self-aware of Takemichi's timeleaping if he shares that information with them in the past.

When I first discovered Takemichi was a timeleaper, I was an eager child invested in the idea of that ability. During my training in the police force, I started to have doubts, but I continued to endure until that day. July 4th, 2017. When I saved Takemichi from being pushed on the train tracks. Exactly 12 years after he told me.

For those 12 years, I knew that my older sister was going to die at the hands of a criminal organization. I was desperate. Admittedly, I was quite irrational and jumped to conclusions hastily. Having thoughts that if Sano Manjiro or Kisaki Tetta were killed, my sister wouldn't be. Even after Takemichi has continuously told me Sano is a good man, I don't share the same sentiment. If he's such a good man, how can he still have almost the same future after all the changes Takemichi has done in the past?

I hated Sano at first. Purely because he was the leader of the criminal organization that killed my sister timeline after timeline. After discovering Kisaki was the one behind the continuous murders of my sister, my hate shifted to him. But the future has changed.

February 23rd, 2006. Kisaki Tetta was killed. Being run over by a truck.

March 1st, 2006. The Tokyo Manji Gang officially disbanded.

With those changes, the Tokyo Manji Gang had no reason to kill my sister. I am now freed from the stress of waiting for the results of her safety since her safety has been long guaranteed.

Back when [Y/N] and I were partners in the department, she was the one who was level-headed compared to me. She was nothing short of logical and composed. Though those timelines don't exist anymore, I am forever thankful for her impact. To be completely honest, I felt as if I were going to lose my mind. Constantly, it felt like I'd been repeating 12 years over and over again. Facing the loss of my sister multiple times. The loss of my partner from her own hands. And recently, my own life.

With the timeline resetting, everyone's lives were reset as well. Articles have been erased from existence, as well as my old police reports. Other than my notes on Takemichi's timeleaping, I have no reports on past Tokyo Manji Gang incidents. For the past 12 years, I've been living a normal life. As well as others who have been involved with the Tokyo Manji Gang in the past. All except one.

It seems that my past stress has been lifted but given to [Y/N] instead. Almost like our roles are reversed. Since Sano Manjiro departed from both Tokyo Manji Gang and his friends, she has become hasty in trying to locate him and save him. Save him from this 'darkness,' she describes. Again, with the disbandment of the gang, I have no feelings towards the man. I neither like nor dislike him. I'm completely indifferent toward him. Though I don't share the same sentiment as she does, I do sympathize with her feelings.

Irrationality. Hastiness. Impatience.

For the past 12 years, it is now she who has stressed herself with the mission of saving Sano. Like how I've been working with Takemichi to save my sister. I've only helped her because of our history together. I've grown a platonic fondness for her. But I feel it has gone too far. Her attempts at involving herself with Bonten, Sano's new gang, are extremely risky. Even if she takes the precautions of wearing a mask to hide her identity and gloves so her DNA isn't traced, it is still running into dangerous territory.

She and I haven't talked since I argued about this. As much as I understand her desperation, I also don't want her to end up dying. Either by their or her own hands. The image of her pulling the trigger at her head haunts me sometimes. I fear that she may do it again. After our argument, however, she hasn't spoken to me. I have no intention of apologizing for what I argued. Though I want to speak with her with a more calm demeanour, I still stand by the points I've made to her previously.

[Y/N] has a life of her own. A career of her own. Friends of her own. Even with all that, she seems to only have two people in mind. Sano and Takemichi. If there's one thing I do agree with her on, it's that Takemichi shouldn't continue to timeleap. He's succeeded in his mission and his efforts have been paid off. Now affianced with my sister. The one he swore to save initially. Both she and I agree he will try to timeleap back if he discovers where Mikey is in this future. Which I have no problems in trying to prevent. But insisting that she 'takes care' of Sano herself is still something I disagree with.

What means is she willing to go through to save him? If it's illegal, I may be forced to detain her. Either way, her safety is at risk. I have no choice but to wait for Takemichi's arrival back in the present if I choose to discuss this with him. Even the police barely have traces or leads on Bonten.

But if I discuss this with Takemichi, will he try to become involved? Will he have to timeleap? And will timeleaping work? With my disinterest in Sano Manjiro, will he be able to timeleap? With [Y/N] being adamant about Takemichi not going back to the past, will using her as a portal work?

It's almost as if everyone is happy but her and Sano. I know this news will be disheartening for Takemichi to hear when he comes back. That is if I choose to share that with him. He may be the only one who could reason with her. But he could also be the one to enable her behaviour.

At this moment, 12 years ago, Toman has disbanded. Takemichi should be coming back soon.

I think... I should talk to him about [Y/N].

Chapter forty-four, end.