𝟎𝟖𝟖: 𝐌𝐢𝐬𝐣𝐮𝐝𝐠𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭

It's been three days since the battle. Your condition has gotten slightly better. Though it was still very painful to move from the waist up.

You walk down the hallway to go check on Takemichi. Hoping that he'd be awake by now. But stopped as the door to his room opened.

"Kokonoi...!" Your surprise soon turned to detestment.

You clench your fists and furrow your brows. You watch him walk to you after noticing your presence.

"The nerve to show your face here..." You tell him, "Especially after what your commander did to-"

Kokonoi lowers his upper body, keeping his hands to his sides. Bowing to you.

"On behalf of the Kanto Manji Gang, I firmly apologize to you and Hanagaki Takemichi," He says keeping his head down. "For the actions, Sano Manjiro has committed during the Three Deities War."

"Uh..." You were at a loss for words. You were expecting him to retort like he usually did. But he did the opposite.

Koko stands back up, "I've already paid for you and Takemichi's hospital expenses."

He takes out a small paper card from his pocket. "If there's anything else you need, feel free to contact me."

You reach for the card. His name and number printed on it. "Wait!" You stop him from walking away. He turns his head to look at you.

You invited Kokonoi to your room. He takes a seat and sit across from him, on the hospital bed.

You look down at your lap. Fidgeting with your hands. "What's Kanto Manji Gang's next move?" You asked. "Now that Mikey's won. What's his plan now?"

"You know I can't-"

"Koko..." You look up at him with a slight frown, "Please answer."

His eyes shift away from your gaze. Hesitating. Koko takes a deep breath and looks back at you.

"Mikey and Sanzu will soon recruit past members from both Rokuhara and Brahman. Expanding the team," he tells you. "Mikey plans to do a rebrand at some point as well."

Takemichi timeleaped back only for Bonten to happen anyway... You think. Koko notices your upset look.

"I promise I'll be cautious of you and your friends' safety," he declares, "To avoid having another 'bounty' situation."

"Koko, I'm not one of your business partners," you say. Catching the boy off guard.

He asks what you mean. "You're speaking so formally... You can talk like a normal person, you know?"

The dark-haired boy crosses his arms. "Well, sorry I'm taking this conversation seriously," Koko responds sassily.

He tilts his head and smirks, "Do you miss me teasing you or something?"

"Ew, don't say it!" You reply, making him laugh. "There's the [Y/N], I know," he points, "As flippant as ever."

"So... What are your plans now that Brahman's disbanded?" Koko asks you.

You raise a brow. "Why? You still keeping tabs on me so you can tell your boss?"

"As you said, you're not my business partner," he tells you. "So I'm not obligated to tell Mikey anything you say."

You wondered if there was any ulterior motive or if you've always had a bias against him. A part of you felt like you should trust his word. Kokonoi sounded sincere after all.

"I don't have an answer to that," you say honestly. "I was hoping to discuss something with Takemichi, actually."

"Look who's speaking formally now," Koko rolls his eyes jokingly. You cross your arms, "It rubbed off on me! I blame you!"