xvi

When I made it to Denny's and found a back booth I could hide away in I pulled out my phone and open and closed my texts nearly 10 times before I finally gained the courage to start typing.

"meet me at denny's during planning?"

I set my phone down and looked over the menu, not that I could stomach food right now but I at least can try. I just starred at the menu until I heard my phone chime. 

"Do you really think that's a good idea"

"No, but I do think we need to talk"

I waited about an hour before he was sitting across from me. I didn't really know what to say or what I wanted. I just looked at him, with all his strong features I could see him grinding his teeth. Good, he was nervous too. That was a good sign. When he finally broke the static air between us I was able to take a breath

"I think... I don't know what to think, honestly. I guess, our only option is to ignore it and let it go away"

"Uh, yeah... Keep it professional? I mean... I'll be gone in a couple of months and you then you can forget about me and all of this"

I don't know whose expression was more hurt, mine or his, but neither of us were happy. That much I could tell.

"I can tell you right now, I will not be forgetting about you. If anything, I'll be waiting for those three months to find you again"

I just nodded my head and waited for him to speak again but he didn't. He just starred right back at me. neither of us knew where to go from here, whether we keep talking or leave or eat. I broke the trance between and looked back down at the menu.

"Do you.. Do you want some food, it's on me"

"No.. I'm okay, really"

"You really should eat, just order something. I'll pay on my way out, I need to go soon"

I ordered some chicken strips just to appease him and let him walk away without so much as a goodbye. When my food came I picked at it for about 15 minutes before asking for a to go box and leaving. I reached my house in record time and gathered up my things, even though I still had another hour to wait. I laid on my bed and just mulled over everything that was said. I know it seems stupid, juvenile really, to pine over a teacher like this; even one that flat out said he was into me, too. I checked my phone and an hour and a half already flew by. I grabbed my bag and ran down to my car, throwing it haphazardly into my passenger seat. When I made it to Krys' house I didn't even give her time to breath, we just started twirling, waiting to light the ends until sunset. It was nearly an hour of none stop poi when the sun finally started to go down. I pulled out a lighter and lit her batons and my poi head on fire and suddenly we both became fireflies. The sparkly bathing suit tops we were wearing allowed the light to dance off of our bodies. I started to twirl them above my head when I saw the face of a familiar man staring at me. I stopped moving my arms and that's when I felt the burning sensation on both arms and down my sides.

"Holy shit, Arie!" McBrien screamed as he ran over to me.

I dropped the chains I had been holding onto and sat back on the ground. I move my hand over to my arm when I felt a large unfamiliar hand on mine.

"Don't, don't touch it. Go get some milk, okay?" I faintly heard and I began to stand up.

"No, not you, her" he huffed

"Krys?"

I heard a a door slam and McBrien speak to someone who I couldn't make out

"go on, kiss her. You made her burn herself, kiss her" I heard in a thick German accent.