33

McBrien's POV

Arie sat in the front of the canoe, facing backwards so that she could look at me. I pushed us off the sand and smiled at the way she was lounging. She pushed my sunglasses further on my nose and dragged her fingers in the water for a little bit.

"take your hands out of the water or a gator is going to bite them off" I snickered

"Oh, hush. There aren't actually gators, they just tell tourists that so that they rent the canoes"

I sighed and kept paddling, every so often I would flick water on her or rock the canoe too much. We stayed on the water for nearly two hours, talking and making jokes. We decided to turn around and head back, she took pictures all the while. The ways her eyes sparkled off the murky green water was mesmerizing, her eyes would light up when she got a good shot.

"Get over to the tall grass?"

He did was I asked, she climbed a little farther over the canoe than she should have and nearly fell in, something had spooked her, I heard a slight hiss, and even then she was beautiful.

"Johnny..." she said "g-gator" she screamed

I started to paddle just in time to avoiding the gator, which was only about three feet long, but with the force of the movement knocked her over board. My heart jumped into throat, I smacked my paddle on top of the head of the reptile, hearing myself scream when I saw blood in the water. I scooped Arie back into the boat, she was still in one piece with only a small puncture wound on her arm.

"Are you okay?"

She didn't reply but she did stuck her arm back in the water.

"What are you doing? Are you crazy?"

When she was pulling her arm back out I heard the hiss again, I grabbed her arm more forcefully than I meant to. She winced and waved her camera at me.

"It's waterproof and I didn't want to lose it" she whispered

"Are you okay? Arie, answer me"

she nodded slowly and tried to pull her arm but I held it there, scanning her face. I yanked her more towards me, forcing her to sit in between my legs. She wiggled but stayed put.

"Please, stay there"

"No"

She started to crawl to the front of the boat but I caught her by her hip, the way her ass looked in that position... I could hardly look away.

"Arie Nyx" I seethed as I put her back

she whimpered and I felt a strong need to apologize, that would wait until we docked. She started to cry and I stopped paddling to free up my arms. I brought her up so that she could look me in the eye.

"You're going to be okay, okay?"

"I want out of this thing. I WANT TO GET OUT OF THE BOAT NOW" she was hysterical.

I held her arms still while she fought violently. I was trying to tell her that she need to calm down when she tired herself out and laid in the bottom of her boat with her eyes shut. We made it back to the rental cabin in time for a swarm of people to hog the boats. I heard parents warn their children about alligators.

"There is a gator out there, we saw it. Actually, she has its tooth in her arm"

I lifted Arie out of the boat and set her on her feet so that she could show them, she had calmed down a lot and was willing to scare a few kids. After a few gawks from out of towners we walked back to our table where I patched up her arm. She asked if we could get back in the water and I sighed and nodded my head.