6

I stand beside Carl, my hand hanging over my gun so I can quickly pull it out if need be.

"It's okay guys." Aaron reassures, "Welcome to Alexandria. Let's take you guys to Deanna." The gates open for us to come through, Carl holds tightly to my hand and gives it a few squeezes letting me know he's there.

"Before we take this any further, I'm going to need you to turn in your weapons." Some lady tells us. We all eye her up and down before turning to Rick for his approval. He nods and starts taking all his weapons off, we all follow behind. We watch Carol act like she's never held a gun before, we all know exactly why she's acting like that.

"Should've brought another cart." The woman laughs before strolling off.

"Well now we can let you all talk to Deanna."

"Who is Deanna?"

"She knows everything you want to know about this place." Aaron smiles at us all, "Rick why don't you go first." We hear a groan behind us at the gates we turn around.

"Sasha." Rick says, she nods and turns around shooting it and watching it fall to the ground. "It's a good thing we're here." Rick smirks a bit to himself before following Aaron.

We all sit and wait for Rick to get back, it felt like he had been gone for hours by now. "Does she have to interview us all?" I ask, Aaron nods in response. "I'm sorry but that's kind of stupid. It sounds like we're trying to get a job." Aaron laughs a bit and looks at me.

"Well funny thing is, you guys do get jobs. We're trying to hold onto humanity and what it was like before. There's school, work, and so much more." I raise my eyebrow and look at Carl. He shrugs his shoulders and continues to kick a rock he had found.

"Aaron! Deanna is ready for another one!" A random man screams from a set a doors. Aaron analyzes our group before his eyes land on me.

"Sarah? Do you mind." I feel my body begin to break out into a cold sweat, I rub my hands repeatedly on my pants before standing up. I feel a hand slip into mine.

"I can go with you if you want." Carl whispers in my ear. I shake my head and let go of his hand, he brings me into a bear hug before letting me go.

"Right this way Miss." The guy from before said, I follow him down a hallway until I am face to face with double doors. They then open revealing Rick, he walks past me and lays a hand on my shoulder.

"I think you might be right about this place." His voice was low as if he didn't want to let them know he had hope. A smile creeps it's way upon to my face and I make my way towards the couch. A sweet old lady was sat before me, a camera to the side of her.

I give a small cough to get her eyes to advert to me, she looks up and gives a smile before sitting her book down. She extends her hand out and I gracefully take it.

"Hi, I'm Deanna. I'm going to be the one to interview you. I run this place." I nod my head and look around before she coughs, "And you are?" She questions.

"Oh my I'm so sorry I wasn't thinking. Ha. I'm Sarah. Sarah Smith. It's nice to meet you. Also this place is way prettier in person rather than the pictures Aaron showed us." I give a warm smile, but my mind is running crazy with thoughts. Maybe I'm pushing it too hard I don't want to seem fake.

She smiles and turns on her camera, "Do you mind if I film this?" I shake my head no and sit back down. She leans forward a bit and observes my face.

"I have just a few questions for you then you are free to go. Ok?" I nod and stare her in the eyes.

"Have you known these people forever? You all seem just really close. Like a family of some sort."

"We are a family. I was with my parents before but... Well it doesn't matter. They found me and helped me. I owe them all my life, they are good people with good hearts. They didn't know me, but they choose to protect me anyway."

"You were a kid, every adult knows to protect a child." I shake my head before replying once more.

"Just because I was a child didn't mean they had to save me. Nowadays some people don't care. They just kill. Kids, adults, even the elders. Rick and all of us are different. They didn't have to save me but they did. They would do it for anyone."

"Let's backtrack a bit. You said you were with your parents before this? What happened to them?" I freeze, my body was froze in place and I felt like I couldn't breath. She stares at me like she could read my mind and everything that was running through it.

"I... Well it's just... The same thing that always happens." She raises and eyebrow and leans in a bit more.

"And what would that be?" I look at my shoes and kick them together a few times. I bite my lip holding my tears back before standing up and letting a deep breath out.

"I'm sorry but I need to go, please no more questions." I make my way towards the door as she says my name and tries to stop me but once I pass the doors I run. I hadn't thought about what happened to my parents for awhile. I wanted to forget about it and here she is forcing words out of my mouth.

I push the doors to the outside and immediately feel the sun graze my skin. I put my hand over my forehead to shade my eyes from the sun, I look around and spot Carl. I take off once more to him and quickly wrap my arms around him, a few sobs erupt from my mouth as he clings onto me tighter.

"Sarah? Sarah? What's wrong?" I shake my head and hold him tighter. I pull away and look at him, his eyes filled with a mixture of anger, and worry. "Did they hurt you in there? If they did I can go and handle it."

"No, no I am ok. It's just she was talking about stuff and it brought back a bad memory and I broke down.." He leans down and kisses my forehead.

"Here come on they let us look at our new houses while you were in there. I have been waiting outside so I could immediately grab you and show you."

"Houses?" I ask as my eyes widen as I pronounce each syllable. Carl smiles a cheshire cat smile before nodding.

"Houses."