24

I finally told Carl what I've been holding back, but now I'm afraid I was too late. As I was dragged away from his bleeding, lifeless body I had realized I waited too late and now I will never be able to hold him in my arms again, or hear his laugh or voice. Never feel his soft lips against mine.

I turn to Michonne once they release me from their grip and wrap my arms around her sobbing into her neck. She pats my head and whispers caring words to calm me down, but I listen as a door is pulled open and slammed shut.

"Shit! Rick!" Michonne pulls away from me her weapon immediately goes to he hand as she runs out the door. I grab my knife and run after her but get grabbed by Aaron.

"Don't. It's a death wish." His eyes glance over my face with worry he loosens his grip once I glare at him.

"That's my family. I'll die with them." I open the door and run out watching as Rick slashes walkers with his axe, followed by Michonne. I raise my knife and stab the ones that come my way. Little by little more of our group makes their way outside.

At this point I can tell if I am covered in walkers blood, my own, or my friends. We all stay in a tight formation and slowly walk backwards to move through the herd. It feels like we've killed over half of them, but they just keep coming. They are spawning out of nowhere and I can feel my body begin to give out.

Michonne looks over at me and mouths 'Are you okay?' I give her a small nod before turning my attention to the monsters in front of me. This night is about to get much longer.

(Time skip)

I sit in the living room reading a comic I recently stole from Carl's secret stash, Carl was somewhere in the house playing with a ball I could hear it bounce off the wall every minute or so.

Michonne pops her head around the corner and looks at Rick then me, her finger pointing at us both as she moves it back and forth. "Do any of you have toothpaste?" I giggle and shake my head.

"No, cause someone's been borrowing it everyday for the past two weeks." Michonne rolls her eyes and leans back.

"Carl." Rick hollers, you can hear distant chatter and then Carls voice.

"Denise says it's PT." Carl says clearly still not walking out to us. Rick smirks to himself then looks over at me.

"What? I can't hear you. Come on out." Carl appears from behind the doorway, the yellow tennis ball tight in his grip.

"What?" He pauses before continuing, "Denise says it's PT." Rick says at the exact same time as Carl. Carl widens his eye and drops his mouth before speaking once more. "You heard me."

"Yeah. It's time to change your bandage."

"And I need some toothpaste." Michonne puts in, smiling at Carl with pleading eyes. He chuckles and looks at his dad first. "Okay." He then turns his attention to Michonne. "But I'm out of toothpaste."

She groans and rolls herself back around the doorway and disappears behind it. I chuckle and look back down at the comic book I was reading beforehand, before it was snatched from my hands. I look up and become face to face with the culprit.

"Carl! I was reading that." I say as I reach up for it. He shakes his head, before placing the comic under his arm.

"That's mine. And plus all you've been doing is reading, you've barely talked to me at all. Is it the eye?" He says looks down. I giggle and shake my head before standing up.

"No it's not your eye. Plus, I have been talking to you. You're just clingy cowboy." I say as I ruffle his hair. He leans down and kisses my cheek.

"Okay. It's just you've been acting weird since the night I got shot." I bite my lip, I still haven't told Carl face to face that I loved him. Well I did but he was exactly awake for it.

"I'm sorry, I'll make up for it." I say grabbing his hands. "Now let's go change your bandage and clean it." He sighs and let's go of my hands.

"I.. I don't want you in there when I do it." I sigh, and frown up at him. He still won't let me look at his wound, I feel like he thinks I won't like him anymore if he shows me.

"Carl please. I'm not going to think of you differently. I'm coming." He stands still before finally nodding his head and leading me to the bathroom behind him. We open the door and step in, he makes his way towards the sink as I lock the door and slowly turn to face him. He seems hesitant, not knowing what he should do. I sigh and take a few steps forward till my body is behind his, wrapping my arms around him I kiss on his shoulders softly.

"You know I'm not going to think you're ugly or a monster right. You're handsome to me Carl. Inside and out." I whisper as I watch his hands slowly come up to his head and he begins to slowly unwrap the bandage. He leans his head down and lets his hair fall into his face before he pulls the bandage off and lays it down.

"Carl. Look at me." I whisper as I pull away and just leave my hands resting on his shoulder. I feel his muscles tighten, and his breathing get heavy, finally I feel his body slowly turn towards my own. My hands fall from his shoulders, his head still down shielding me from his beautiful face.

I feel his hands grab mine tightly, as the tremble I can feel my heart break a little. He really is ashamed of how he looks right now. Eventually he slowly lifts his head back up, his hair still covered it mostly. I let go of his hand and bring mine up to move his hair out of my way.

With one quick movement I push his hair back revealing his wound. It was a black hole with strings of skin attached from on side to the other, I gently place my fingers and trace the scars outside of it.

"Is it bad?" He whispers as if he was afraid of my answer, his blue eye looks down at me. I smile at him and shake my head, before leaning up and kissing his lips. I feel his arms wrap around me as if this was the last kiss we would ever share. I pull away and look at his face, I watch a small smile form across his lips and a sigh of relief escape.

"Carl. I love you."