74

I take a step back and stare at it, the sun shining down making it sparkle a little. I look over at Abe's grave, "Don't be jealous Abe I'll find something for you too." I say smiling before turning around and walking off towards the gates.

I notice Carl standing there talking to someone, I quickly make my way towards him as the person walks off. He turns around and smiles once he sees me and makes his way towards me. "Hey angel." He says wrapping his arms around my shoulders.

"Can we walk outside?" I ask looking up at him. He shakes his head and starts to pull me away from the gates, "Please." I beg, he looks down as me but then turns our direction back towards the gates. They open for us and we walk out, he turns to the right heading straight into the woods.

"You're stubborn." He says keeping a straight face, I gently tickle his side making his smile finally appear as he laughs and slap my hand away. "Why do you want to come out here anyway?" He asks.

"We just haven't done this in awhile. I missed it. Plus I'm hoping we can find an old house or something, I want to find something to put on Abe's grave. Maybe a dog tag or something." I say shrugging my shoulders as we continue walking.

It was quiet today. A small, cold breeze blows through my hair sending shivers down my spine. Even though I was standing right beside Carl, I had never felt so alone in this moment. As if the world itself had died and somehow I managed to live.

I notice a small building out in the distance and tug at Carl's shirt making him from his arm from my shoulders and reach for his gun as we close in to the building. "I'll go in first. Stay behind me." I open my mouth but he clamps his hand over it, "Don't argue."

He removes his hand from my mouth as he inches forward, I follow closely behind him. We take a step upon the porch, the wood creaking beneath our feet. The windows were smashed in and vines were covering most of the house overtaking the grey color and making it green.

He knocks on the door and we lean against the wall waiting as usual. After about five minutes we decide it's clear and we push our way in aiming our guns up and pointing them in each direction. "I'll check upstairs." I whisper and start to make my way to the staircase but Carl's hand grabs me stopping me in my tracks.

"I'll go." He says pulling me back behind him, I huff in response and stand there as he makes his way upstairs. I don't know what came over me but I found my feet moving themselves up the stairs behind him. Once I reach the top I step on a wrapper and make a noise making Carl turn around and aim his gun.

He lowers his gun, an annoyed expression on his face as he turns back around and makes his way to the end of the hall towards a door. I follow behind him, a door to my right grabs my attention. It was the only door in the entire house that wasn't painted white, it was a pastel pink. Well from what I could tell it was.

Carl had already made his way into the door that was in front of us not paying any attention to where I was headed. I place my hand on the door handle and slowly open it, I step inside and look around. A baby's room. Toys were still scattered around the floor, a small crib was placed in the corner, but it was rocking.

A eerie feeling came over me as I watched it rock back and forth. Maybe the wind was coming through the window beside it. I force my feet to move as I got closer I realized the window wasn't open, nor was there a break in it at all. How the hell was this crib moving.

I take a deep breath as I make my way closer to the crib. A small hand could barely be seen as I made my way over, I stop in my tracks not even wanting to move anymore as small groans come from the crib.

I tiptoe up slightly and peek over, I felt like all my lunch was going to be thrown back up from the site. A little baby, or what was left of it. I quickly stumble back not wanting to see anymore, nor smell. The closer I was the worse the stench was. I turn towards the door and run out and slam it shut.

Carl quickly runs out of the room he was in and stares at me. "What?" He asks. I hold my hand over my mouth and lean over. I place my hand out in front of me to keep him away from me as I try to get rid of my nausea.

He looks to his side at the same door I had ran out of and slowly reaches for the knob. I quickly lean up and grab his wrist. "Don't. Just don't." I say as I breath heavily, and stare directly at him.

He slowly lowers his hand in confusion. "What the hell did you see?" He asks as he places his hand on my face. I let go of his wrist and place my hands on my knees as I lean over once more. The image flashing through my head repeatedly, I stand back up and stare at him.

"You don't wanna know." I pause as I stare at him, I could tell by his expression he had caught on to what I was saying, "Can we just go? I don't want to be in here anymore." He nods his head before kissing my forehead.

I walk to the top of the staircase till I hear a door slam shut from down below. Carl quickly grabs my arm and yanks me backwards away from the stairs, "Maybe it's a walker." I whisper as we crouch low. He shrugs his shoulder as we slowly inch towards the staircase to look down.

A shadow was casted on the wall, I could really make out what it was and neither could Carl. The shadow did move around but nothing came into view at the bottom of the staircase. I look back at Carl with a confused look, no groans was heard either so it had to be a person but who? Finally I hear laughing and my heart drops.

"Daddy's home!"