48

"Shit." He says as he stands up and makes his way over to Sasha grabbing a confused Eugene along his way. I stand back up and start walking towards the back before Aaron quickly passed me and interrupts Ricks conversation with the other two. "She's burning up." He says shaking his head.

I pick up my pace and make my way to the back. "Maggie?" I ask quietly as I sit on the bed next to her knees. She has her eyes closed and her chests heaving up and down quickly as if she was struggling to breath.

Glenn looks up at me with tears in his eyes before he just shakes his head and looks back down at her. Her hand tightly secured in his as he keeps repeatedly kissing it over and over muttering 'it's okay' to her.

I stand back up and make my way towards Rick. "We're just going to have to fall for their setup. It's the shortest way to the hilltop this way and they know it. Who knows what they have set up in the other directions. They had to know we would probably try." I say before Rick looks down closing his eyes and shaking his head slightly.

"Rick!" Abe yells as we all jerk our head toward his direction, the RV slows down until it comes to a complete stop. I blink my eyes a few times not believing what I was seeing, about twenty to thirty men stand in the road guns strapped to each one.

Some stood on the ground while others stood on top of cars. "What are we going to do?" I ask my voice clearly shaking with fear as I stare at the chaos before us.

"Go back." Rick orders, we all stare at him. The men from outside stare at us with smiles on their faces, how many men did this Negan guy have holy shit. Abe looks at Rick from the review mirror.

"Where?" He questions as Rick continues to stare out the windshield. I hear Maggie calling for Rick in the background, I tap his shoulder and point to the back to where he sighs and makes his way.

I feel as Abe turns the RV around and makes his way another direction. I make my way back to my seat and put my head in my hands trying my best to hold back tears. I was scared shitless. I bounce my knee up and down as I grip my hair with my fingers.

I feel a hand touch my arm and rub it gently, through tear filled eyes I look up and see Carl smiling sympathetically. "We're going to die aren't we?" I ask quietly. He looks down and shakes his head. "Look me in the eyes and tell me we're not going to die." I say.

He looks up at my face and sighs heavily using his hand to take his hat off and place it beside him. "My dad is going to figure it out. He always does." He says as he runs a hand through his semi-greasy hair.

I lean back in my seat and stair at the roof before taking a few breaths in through my nose and out my mouth to calm my nerves. I begin to count the tiny holes in the roof to keep my mind occupied from thinking anymore.

I sigh and lean my head back down as I stare out the window straight across from me, the trees casting scary shadows onto the seats. Rick makes his way back from Maggie and nods his head at me as he passes by making his way back up to the front of the RV towards Abe.

I sigh before getting up making my way towards the front as well. "What now?" I ask once I reach Rick, his eyes staring down at his hands as he picks at the loose skin on his fingers.

"We are probably going to have to fight, but that's something I'm willing to do." He takes a deep breath before looking up. "Anything for my family." He says his eyes sharp, and glazed over as he stares at me. I nod my head as I look up at the long road ahead of us.

"It looks clear. I don't see anything for at least a few miles out." I say staring at the straight road ahead of us that seems to keep getting longer and longer. The leaves stir in the road as a slight wind picks up, carrying them away. I watch the trees slowly swaying and a few birds fly by.

"Maggie isn't doing well." Rick finally speaks up. "The fever..." He pauses as he shakes his head, "It's taking its toll on her, she doesn't look good. Even though I don't want to or think it's a good idea, we might have to kill the next Saviors we see."

"That's risky. We don't know if they have more hiding behind them." I say sitting down in the floor beside his feet. "They know what they're doing, they've clearly done this before." I mumble out.

"It's a risk we might have to take." He says leaning back in his seat, spreading his legs before sighing loudly. "Whatever it takes. I'll get her there." He whispers.

I stand up from my spot and gently pat his shoulder, Sasha stands up from her seat beside Abe and makes her way towards the back. Once she's gone I move up and sit beside Abe, I take notice of his little side glance at me.

"You ready to hang them by their dingleberries?" He questions a small laugh following behind, I arch my eyebrow before turning to him.

"Their dingleberries?" I ask laughing slightly as I stare at them, he just nods his head giving no further explanation. I notice his eyes widen a little as he slams on the breaks shaking his head.

"Now shit." He mumbles making me turn my head to see what was causing him so much stress. I notice what seemed to be trees that had been cut down stacked in the road blocking our path.

Rick leans up and looks through the windshield before shaking his head and making his way outside. I make my way behind his along with Abe, Carl, and a few others.

We hold our guns securely against us as we slowly make our way towards the mess. I reach out to touch it but Carl slaps my hand away. "Be careful." He mutters under his breath as he shakes his head disapprovingly at me.

I hear a scream and quickly turn around towards the bridge making the other as well. We point our guns up before we see a body being thrown over, a poor man gagging as the chain around his neck gags him.

I widen my eyes and point my gun around on the bridge waiting for one of those dickheads to pop up so I could shoot them, but sadly none did. I watch as the man struggles and reaches out towards us to help.

I aim my gun at the chains and hold my finger over the trigger until a hand reaches out and pulls it down, I listen as Aaron complains about how we should just shoot the chain.

"It won't work. Besides.." Rick pauses while looking around at us, "We need the bullets."