23

I draw my attention back to Rick when he stops us once more. "We can't go to the armory we need to get our vehicles at the quarry and draw them all out. It's the only way." He whispers I look back at Carl worried, he stares down at me and give me a small frown before facing his dad again.

I chirp up "Sam shouldn't go, I can take him to the church and then I can meet you all at the quarry when I'm done." Rick nods in approval but then Sam begins to argue.

"I don't want to go I want to stay with my mom." He says as he stands his ground. Jessie leans down a bit to talk to him.

"Sam it'll be safer." Sam shakes his head and grips her hand tightly.

"No mom I'm staying. I can keep going please. Let's just go." She stands back up to her normal height and nods her head. I sigh shaking my head at this dumb idea, he's just a kid.

We begin our walks again, I look up into the sky noticing the sun has went down more. It'll be nighttime soon, that's when the real horror will begin.

We manage our way through the walkers more, surprising Sam hasn't stopped us anymore. I can tell he is getting anxious as we begin to lose more daylight.

Carl gets up closer behind me and leans down to whisper in my ear. "You're doing good, calm down I can feel how shaky you are. We're going to make it I promise." I nod my head.

I wanted to tell Carl how much I loved him in the moment but not only did I fear being ripped to shreds right now I fear that he won't feel the same so I shove the words back down my throat.

(Time skip)

The sun is gone and stars fill the sky casting over us, usually I would find the night sky calming but in this moment it's the worse for me.

It feels like we've been walking for years, and it just seems like we're going in a circle. I feel lightheaded from all the stress that I want to lie down and sleep. Every now and then I feel Rick pull my hand urging me to move faster behind him.

I pick up my space as the others do as well, I knew if we kept going at this pace we soon would end up dead as well. No way this smell can last forever.

I close my eyes and take a deep breath before opening and scanning the area once more. Rotting corpses walk past me and as their flesh peels off I feel a pit in my stomach. I immediately get a bad feeling, but I put it off.

I look around to my other side and notice a small boy, a walker. It's my first time seeing one so little, I feel my heart break. I mentally begin to pray hoping Sam doesn't see him cause I know he will most likely lose it.

But, as I begin to pray it seems to become unanswered as I feel the line stop moving. I turn my head to look back to see what the commotion was all about.

Sam stands still staring out and his body begins to tremble. I watch as Jessie tries to pull him and urge him to move along, but it seems he is frozen in place. "Sam come on. Sweetie come on you can do it." Jessie coos

Sam shakes his head as the sweat slings from the tips of his hair and he begin to mumble 'no' under his breath. Ron and Jessie say his name and few more times before the begin to panic.

I watch as Sam squints his eyes and a few tears find a place on his cheeks. Out of nowhere walkers walk towards him and tear into his flesh ripping it straight from the bone as he screams for his mom.

I widen my eyes and watch as Jessie screams become louder and Sam's begin to disappear. More walkers come up and begin on Jessie as their next meal, I stand frozen not knowing what to do. I can feel Carl's body trying to pull towards mine and I notice the death grip Jessie has on him.

I turn to Rick and motion at Carl, Rick stares is disbelief at the murder show in front of him. He flips his axe in his hand and walks over to Jessie's arm before he begins to hack it off.

One. Two. Three. Three hits and Carl falls back onto me, we both quickly stand up and look at each other making sure nothing was wrong and that we were okay.

I give him a weak smile and give him a hug before pulling away and walking to go pick up my gun that had fallen. I try to be as quiet as possible, then I hear a gun click and Ron's voice.

"You." He whispers as his gun is pointed at Rick. I widen my eyes and stay in my spot not wanting to get hit by a stray bullet. Before Ron has a chance to shoot it I watch as Michonne's katana slides through his chest.

He pulls the trigger and misses Rick then falls to the ground as walkers pile on top of him. Rick looks at Michonne and nods to thank her, I make my way over towards Rick before I hear Carls voice. I stop dead in my tracks and turn around.

I widen my eyes in horror, my heart drops to my stomach and I feel like throwing up. Carl's face was covered in blood and his eye socket was open and as big as a baseball. He got shot.

"Dad?" Carl asks before collapsing on the ground. Rick whispers out a 'no' before running to him. I drop to my knees and scream while crying.

"Carl!" I scream out, time was going by in the blink of an eye. One second I was crying on the ground and next Michonne is dragging me as we follow Rick to the infirmary. I watch as he is laid down and the roll him away.

"Is he going to live?" I ask over and over. It seems everyone's replies we're too much for my mind to comprehend. I drop to my knees once more and sob, my love.. It should've been me. I stand up and run back to where he is, they try to pull me away but I fight towards him.

"Carl! Please be okay! Please!" I scream and beg. Michonne's and Rosita's arm try to hold me back. I push as hard as I can against them until I grab his hand and place it to my forehead.

"Carl please.." I whisper.

"I love you."