58

As much as I wanted to argue with him, I knew he was right. I lean down and grab my bag up then stuff all the things that had fell out back in before slinging it back over my shoulder. "Let's just go." I grumble as I push past him making sure to shove my shoulder into him.

"Ok bunny." He replies sighing heavily as he walks out behind me. I push the door open making the little bell above it ring, I walk over to the truck slinging the door open and hoisting myself up into it before slamming it back close.

I sit and wait as he opens his door and gets in, he easily shuts his door before putting the keys in the ignition. "Can you take it easy on the doors." He say in an annoyed tone which somehow made me even more upset then I was before.

"Nah, I'm good." I reply as I place my bag in the floorboard between my feet. I strap my seatbelt over me once more before lying my head back against the window. The slight rumble of the engine sending vibrations from my head to my toes slightly tickling as it does.

"Like I said," He slightly huffs, "Just like your mother." He puts the car into drive and pulls out of the tiny town and gets back onto a graveled road. My mind races with too many thoughts to keep up with, my main one being Carl. What does he think about me now? After leaving them like that, when we all needed each other the most.

"So..." My dad draws out, I sigh as I place my hand on my forehead and rub my temples, just his voice was enough to irritate me at this point. He opens his mouth to talk again but I interrupt.

"How much longer till we're there?" I ask looking over at him, he looks over at me for a split second before looking back at the road in front of him. He stay quiet for a few minutes as if the next words he says would be his last.

"Well. I took the long route, thinking you would want to catch with your ol' dad. Clearly I was wrong." He answers making me groan and lean back in my seat, "You know I didn't leave you to 'fend for yourself' like you said." He explains out of nowhere.

"Okay then what the hell did you do? You left mom and I alone. In the middle of a fucking apocalypse, was that really the best idea you had? Leaving your ten year old and wife alone." I mumble as I place my feet in the seats to bring my knees up to my chest.

"That's not what happened." He says shaking his head as he glides one of his hands up and down the steering wheel as if he was trying to calm himself down.

"Oh really? Cause to me that's exactly what happened." I argue as I place my cheek onto my knee making myself look out the window as the tree slowly begin to multiple with each mile we drove.

"You're mother was sick! I left to get her medicine! I would've never abandon my family." He says loudly making his voice echo off the inside of the trucks wall, shaking me straight to my core. Yeah, my mom didn't look her best but she couldn't of been that sick. "You didn't know?" He questions.

I slowly shake my head as I continue to watch the trees sway in the wind. "I knew she wasn't feeling well. I didn't know she was sick, you guys would never tell me anything." I mumble.

"She had cancer." He says making me widen my eyes slightly and pull my head up to look over at him. I open my mouth but find trouble making words come out so I shut it back. "I was trying to find her something to help her get better, as much as I could. I was having a hell of a hard time doing so."

"I'm sorry." I whisper before laying my head back down against my knee and closing my eyes. The window on my side was slightly cracked making a small whistling noise as the wind found its way into the truck. Besides that it was dead silent.

I could feel as my body begin to shut down from all the exhaustion from the past few days, but it could fall asleep. It was in an unknown location around an unknown person. I didn't feel safe in the slightest. But, that was okay. I knew I didn't have to feel safe around my dad, you don't have to feel safe around someone just because you're related.

"You can sleep ya know? It's going to be awhile anyway, and I don't think you're up to talking to me." He slightly laughs as if this entire thing was a joke to him, a sick joke at that.

"I'm fine. I'm not even that tired." I lie as I stifle back a yawn daring to escape from my mouth. He sighs as a response for pressing on the gas a little more to speed of this entire process.

"I still can't say I'm sorry." He admits as he looks in his review mirror as if something was going to be following us. I bring my hand up and rub the sleep in my eye before turning my head and looking at him.

"You never could anyway. I don't expect you to say it now." I say straightforward making him laugh a little. "It's not a joke." I say harshly, making his laughter die down as he closes his mouth shut.

"We're almost there." He says changing the subject as he continues to press on the gas making our speed increase little by little. I reach my hand into my back pocket and pull out Glenn's necklaces that was still covered in his blood, which was now dried.

I use my thumb to rub over it making the dried blood fall off into the floor decorating it in red. I felt so numb at this point, no tears were forming like they would've hours ago. The pain was still there, I just couldn't feel it.

I rub my thumb over the baseball, letting a tiny smile form on my face as I try to think positive. Just like Glenn would want me to. I ball the necklace up into my hand before placing it back into my pocket as I feel the truck begin to slow down. I look up and notice a building that looked like a huge factory.

I rub my eyes as if I couldn't believe this place was in front of me, it was huge. Which means it must hold a lot a people, this making me more nervous than I already was. I was definitely going to have eyes on me, I won't be able to escape easily.

The truck slows down and men walk up to it talking to my dad before letting us in. He drives around and parks his truck, before smiling to himself and looking over at me.

"Welcome home bunny."