54

I look around for Rick and don't notice him anywhere nearby. I quickly begin to cry and I wrap my arms around my dad, how could you hate someone but love them so much at the same time?

I listen as he lays the bat down before wrapping his arms securely around me and kissing the top of my head softly before using a hand to run down the back of my head to the end of my hair.

"Shh bunny it's okay." He assures soothingly, but nothing about this was okay. He found his family, but ruined another one in the making. I shake my head and clench his shirt tightly in my hands.

"I hate you so much. Fuck why did we have to meet like this dad? Why do you have to be this way. I feel so guilty for doing this, for hugging a murderer." I cry into his chest. "My family. You hurt them. Still yet here I am holding onto you." I scoff at my moment of weakness.

"I can't say I'm sorry because I'm not. Those people-" He starts but I quickly cut him off, I pull away from the hug and look up at him with tear filled eyes before speaking.

"My family." I correct him, he sighs and grabs me again pulling me against his chest for another hug, as much as I wanted to deny it my body physically wouldn't let me. We were two magnets drawn to each other, and yet we are the opposite ends.

"Don't think I'm happy that you had to see me like that because I'm not. Did I scare you?" He asks sympathetically as he pulls me away from him a little just to look into my eyes. I slowly nod my head and he slides his hands off my shoulders before sitting down and patting the seat next to him.

I sit in the seat and stare straight ahead of me waiting for him to talk again. After a few moments of silence he releases a loud breath and turns his body to face mine. "You look just like her." He says softly smiling as he shakes his head trying to expose his memories.

"Like who?" I say forcing myself to look at him, he chuckles and leans back in his seat before closing his eyes. His hand reaches over and grabs his bat, he holds it close to his chest, his hands skillfully running up and down the base of it.

"You're mother. You look just like her. Act like her too." He says as he opens his eyes before letting a small laugh escape. "Always fighting for what you want. Feisty. And hell do you argue like a bitch." He says laughing a bit louder this time. "She'd be proud."

"I'd hope so. I'm not some murderer." I mumble as I look away from him. I could feel Glenn's necklace poking at my skin through my pocket, suddenly all the guilt comes rushing back. I stand up and take a deep breath before wiping the tears falling from my eyes.

In the background Carl's desperate knocks continued his voice letting me know he was on the verge of tears. I close my eyes letting my hearing take over my senses, besides the sounds coming from Carl a few soft cries were heard as well.

"You shouldn't of killed them." I utter finally turning around to face him. He looks down as he plays a little with his bat before looking up at me questioningly.

"Bunny. We both know in this world you either kill or be killed. Nothing goes as everyone wants. You can't change history." He says a bit smugly before standing up. "Do you want to talk to Rick? I'm only giving you a few minutes. I won't listen in if that'll make you hate me less."

I shrug my shoulders but nod my head impatiently. "It might make me hate you less, but no promises." He nods and points in the direction of the back room, the one where Maggie had laid before.

"I'm sure you know the way back down." I nod my head as I slowly walk towards the rear of the RV, Carl's desperate noises getting lighter and lighter as I walk away from it.

I walk into the little room and Rick quickly stands up from his spot and looks at me as if he was ready to fight. "Woah it's just me." I say quietly before I sit on the bed, I slowly pat the spot next to me. He shakes his head and squats back down, I slightly frown and feel my chest tighten.

"Rick. I'm sorry. I should've done something, I should've stopped it." He holds his hand up making me stop my talking straight away. He finally rises from his place on the ground and walks over sitting beside me on the bed.

His hands still shaking like they were before, he stares blankly at the floor not blinking even once. I begin to get up to leave him alone but he places his hand on my knee urging me to stay.

"It's... It's not your fault." He stutters slightly, his voice a bit raspy from his lack of talking. I open my mouth then slowly close it as I didn't know what to say. "I'm the leader. It was my place. I didn't do enough." He whispers as a single tear rolls down his right cheek.

"That's not true. You done everything in your power Rick. Do you realize how long you've kept us safe? This was one downfall, we learn from here on out. You're a great leader." I encourage him as I place my hand on his shoulder. "My dad is just a prick." I mumble.

"And yet.. I still couldn't save 'em." He whispers again, his eyes slowly turn to me before his head. He places his hand on my cheek and rubs it gently. "I'm sorry." He says shaking his head slightly.

"Stop acting crazy. It's not your fault." I say as I hold back my tears. I wrap my arms around his neck and hug him tightly. I feel as his shaking hands rub up and down my back soothingly. I listen as he mumbles how sorry he is over and over, each time breaking my heart even more.

"Rick, stop. I told you it's not your fault. None of this is." I say as I slowly pull away from the hug and stare at his broken expression. He places his thumb and finger in the corner of each eyes and rubs gently before leaning his head back.

"I let your dad get killed." He whispers, I look at him confused. I start to say something but he quickly cuts me off. "Glenn. He always called you his kid." He says as he wipes his forehead. The blood that was slung onto his face earlier tonight was drying up quickly. "He loved you."

"And I love him. But, Glenn wouldn't want you to blame yourself now would he?" I say, making Rick slowly shake his head. I hear footsteps approaching making me look up and see my dad standing there smugly as usual.

"Come on bunny. Time to say goodbye to the rest of your friends."

———————————————————————————
Author's Note

ahhh thank you all SO much for reading, voting, and commenting!:) i try to comment back, but wattpad wont let me:,( plus it keeps saying some of my comments are being deleted soooo idk what that's about. BUT ANYWAY!! i'm so grateful, i'm sorry if i take long breaks here and there i get writers block a lot. thank you all for being so patient and kind. y'all are the best!<3 also i am writing another book that's completely off my imagination and i would love if you would all check it out! thank you:D