64

"That's a pretty name." I say sweetly as we finally make our way into the woods. "I'm not really good with directions." I whisper ashamedly, I feel as she shakes her head before speaking up.

"It's okay. I know where Alexandria is. This isn't my first time trying to run away you know." She jokes half heartedly. I laugh along with her so she doesn't sense the awkwardness. "We better move faster though, before the realize we are gone."

I nod my head start to walk faster while holding half of her body weight along with mine. I could tell she was trying her best to move just a fast as me but was finding it hard to. I stop in my tracks and look at her, she was pretty small so I knew I could hold her.

"Here hop on." I say making my back face her, I look back at her as she shakes her head. I hand her my bag before squatting down slightly. "Get on Amber." I say sternly. I feel her wrap her arms around my neck, I get a good grip under her thighs before standing back up.

I let myself adjust to the extra weight before I start walking as fast as I could manage. "When you get up to this old house in about two miles you're going to turn left and follow that road." She explains, I nod my head following her instructions.

I feel my arms slowly become a bit weak but I manage to continue holding to her as I walk. "Okay there it is. See that little road right there?" She asks pointing next to the creepy house, I nod my head. "Follow it." I follow my orders and then down the old road.

The night was foggy, really cold as well. This jacket wasn't keeping me as warm as I was hoping it would. My fingers already felt like they had frostbite, I know they didn't but it was just that cold. I could see my breath out in front of me each time I exhaled along with Ambers as well.

"Okay turn left onto this road. It'll take us to the main road and we need to cross it into the woods on the other side." She says and her arms slightly tighten around my neck. I turn left and walk through the trees, I hear some low groaning. Walkers must be nearby.

I stare up in front of me through the trees and notice the main road. "Finally." I huff to myself before inching closer. It looked clear from where I was, until I got closer. "Shit." I say under my breath.

A small pathway was cleared across the road but a bunch of walkers roamed ahead and a few behind. "I can walk." Amber says as she jumps down off my back, twisting her ankle a bit as to get it back into shape.

"Are you sure? Cause I think we are going to have to run." I say still staring out from behind a tree, she nods her head before grabbing my hand tightly and squeezing it. I take a breath as we step out from behind the tree and tiptoe up to the edge of the road.

"One. Two. Three." She says, we automatically take off at three and run across the road as fast as we could, a few walkers reaching out at us but not touching us luckily. We reach the other side and tumble down the small hill, and slowly come to a stop.

I look over at her before I begin to laugh making her laugh as well. "Well that was something." I giggle before leaning up, leaves already sticking in my hair and dirt covering my clothes. I stand up to my feet and help her, I watch her limp slightly before she stands up straight.

"We walk straight for awhile now." She says handing me back my back finally. I sling it over my shoulder and nod my head. We continue to walk slowly passing a few tents that smelt like a dead hog, making us both gag and plug our noses.

She points to the left of us at a small cabin, I just nod my head before we both slightly jog over. I knock on the door and wait a few minutes before entering. It looked clean. I sigh and sit down on the floor before bringing my legs to my knees trying to stay warm.

"I hope Daryl is okay." I whisper, Amber sits down beside me and shrugs her shoulder as she wraps her jacket tightly around her and leans her head against me to share our body heat.

"Is he strong?" She asks, I nod my head without hesitation. "He will be okay. Negan is just using him as bait, I'm sure. He does that sometimes." She sighs heavily and closes her eyes and starts to hum slightly.

"Do you think me running away is going to make dad kill him?" I say as I feel my heartbeat quicken. Amber leans up and looks over at me with a small frown. "Should I go back?" I ask, she quickly shakes her head.

She grabs my face and forces me to look at her. "No. You have no idea what will happen if you go back." She says as she slightly shakes me, a look of horror plastered on her face. "Don't fucking leave me." She begs.

"Daryl is my family." I say looking down as I stand up. She grabs my hand and holds it tightly not letting go no matter how much I tried to pull away. "I have to save him. I got out, he deserves the same."

"Don't be stupid. It's one of you and hundreds of Saviors. Let us get back to your group, I can lead you all back through hidden trails I've scoped out. We can stay here tonight and hit the road first thing tomorrow. Don't count your chickens before they hatch." She says finally convincing me.

"I'll keep watch." I say sighing, she shakes her head once more before she pulls herself up using my hand to help her. She pushes me down onto a seat that was sat close to us, I sit down and stare up at her.

"I'll keep watch. You rest. You need energy for tomorrow." She says as she limps towards a window pulling back the tattered blankets and staring out. "I'll wake you up if someone or something shows up. Don't worry." She smiles softly.

I nod my head before leaning back into the seat trying to become as comfortable as I could possibly manage. I close my eyes and open them a few times, my vision now getting blurry. The last thing I see her Amber making her way towards me before I pass out from exhaustion.