63

"A boyfriend?" She laughs as she shakes her head, "You actually found a good guy in the middle of this whole thing? That's hard to come by." She says as she walks out behind me, I smile while nodding my head.

"Yeah. He's amazing." I whisper, I pause and look back at her. "Well, I'm not sure if him and I are still together anymore or not. He probably hates me." I say before turning my head back around and walking quietly down the stairs.

"Why would he?" She asks, I shrug my shoulder even though I knew the answer. I just didn't want to say it. "What did you do?" She asks once we reach the bottom step. I stop in my tracks and turn around to face her.

"Because I betrayed him. I betrayed my family. I left without even putting up a fight. I left them in the hardest moments of their lives. I just hope they understand I was trying to protect them." I whisper, she places her hand on my shoulder and gently rubs it while giving me a warm smile.

"I'm sure he understands." She assures me as she points to the left of me. "We have to go back that way. There's not as many in the back as there are the front." She steps in front of me and grabs my hand slowly leading me behind her.

"I don't know. He lets his temper get the best of him sometimes." I mumble as I pick up my pace to keep up with her as she drags me a down a dark hallway. I watch her use her other hand to guide us down as she feels the walls.

"Two more doors and down and we should be there. There is a man at the door keeping watch, but he usually leaves the window on the other side cracked. I think we can quietly lift it up more and you can sneak out first." She says continuing to walk slowly.

"Why do I have to go first?" I ask quietly as I grip her hand tightly as if she was going to slip away. "You know this place better than I do. I'll probably get us caught somehow." I explain but she just laughs.

"You're stronger than me. If he notices anything you could take him out easily. I know you have a knife on you. These men aren't really good at checking for weapons." She jokes, but the way she explained actually made me feel more confident.

"Ok, I'll go first." I say as I agree to her little plan. She finally stops and I notice light glowing in from just a few feet away. She turns around and looks at me with pleading eyes.

"Okay this is it. Please, no matter what happens don't bail on me." She begs, I smile up at her before stepping in front of her and making my way to the window. She was right, it was slightly cracked open I lean closely to it, a medium sized man was standing guard with a gun. I could tell her was tired so this shouldn't be too hard.

I reach my fingers under the window and slowly pull up, just enough to where I could squeeze my body through. Luckily it didn't squeak. I put my feet out first then slip the rest of my body out, I feel the hard ground beneath my feet. Once my head is out I stand up and motion for the girl to follow to which she does.

I hold my knife tightly in my hand as I stare at the man, he was facing the opposite way of me. I hear a rustling sound then a thump, I widen my eyes as I watch her fall. The man starts to turn around, I quickly run up and slice his throat having blood soak me completely.

"Shit." I mumble as I wipe my face with my sleeve. I walk over and help her up, "Are you okay?" I ask helping her dust herself off.  She nods her head while she stares at the dead man before him. "I'm going to let him turn." I say already reading her thoughts.

"Oh." She replies before she looks back towards me. "I'm sorry. My jacket got caught and I jerked it a bit too hard." She apologizes. I wave my hand while shaking my head.

"Where now?" She points behind me, I slightly push her forward so she could lead me. We take tiny steps, not wanting to make another mistake. I don't want to kill, but if I have to I will.

"There's a place on the fence we can climb over. But, we have to jump down to the other side. Which is kind of a long drop." She says, I could feel the worry coming from her tone which made me slightly nervous. "We will make it though." She whispers, she suddenly stops and looks up the wall. "Here."

I watch as she grabs onto the fence . "Do you want to go first? Or I can. It's up to you." She says as she lets go of the fence and reaches into her back to pull out a cloth that was rag like material.

"You can go first. I'll keep lookout." I say helping her hoist herself up enough to where she wouldn't have to start at the bottom. She nods her head before starting to climb as quietly as she could. She tosses the cloth over the barbed-wire on the top before she swings her leg across to straddle it.

"Okay come on." She whispers. I place my knife into my side before climbing the fence myself. She reaches down and grabs my hand to help me straddle the fence with her. "You ready? We can climb or jump. Jumping would be fast, climbing would be safer."

"We can climb halfway down then jump. I don't want to make too much of a noise." She nods her head in agreement before placing her hand out urging me to go first. I sling my other leg over and start my climb down, her not too far behind.

I reach the middle of the fence and jump down hitting the ground with a hard thud making the nerves in my legs tingle. I hated that feeling, I move them around a bit trying to calm them.

I look back up at her as she jumps down as well but landing on her leg the wrong way. "Oh f-!" She starts to yell but I cover her mouth as tears fall down her cheeks.

"Shh. It's okay I'll help you walk. Just stay quiet." I say before wrapping her arm around my neck then my arm around her waist and helping her up. She starts to limp slightly before we start walking towards the woods. "I never caught your name." I say trying to distract her from her leg.

"Amber."