Chapter 16

April 5th, 1994
*Myra's POV*

I was still sitting on my chair, looking at Michael and Lisa, hugging. Happy because of their engagement. I felt like suffocating, I couldn't hold back the tears anymore.
So I stood up, excused myself, and walked to the restroom locking the door behind me.
I leaned against the door and started sliding down to the floor... tears started rolling down my cheeks uncontrollably. I was forced to bring my hand to my mouth and suffocate my sobs into my palm, hoping that no one could hear me.

The pain in my chest was getting bigger and bigger... what did I do to deserve this? Why did I develop these feelings for my best friend? Why him? Why not someone else?

Suddenly I heard knocking on the door...

"Myra? Are you okay?" a fine voice said, it was Michael. I immediately stood up and took a few deep breath's.
"Yes, I'm okay." I replied, trying to sound as normal as possible. I then walked closer to the sink and tried to adjust my now smudged makeup.

Once I looked decent, I decided to walk out. A part of me was hoping that Michael was still standing out there, waiting for me to get out like he did before. But he wasn't there...
I felt the urge to leave, so I didn't have any other choice besides lying.

I walked back to where the other's were, they were all laughing and joking around, but stopped as soon as they saw me.

"I'm really happy for you guys, congratulations. Yet I have to say that I need to go home, Tala isn't doing good and she needs me. Thank you for inviting me though." I said forcing a smile, Michael's smile immediately disappeared and walked closer to me.
"Myra are you sure that you're okay?" he whispered in a worried tone, while looking deep into my eyes.
"More than okay, Mike. Don't worry." I replied, still faking a smile. I then looked over to Javon. "Would you mind to bring me back home?" I asked, he smiled widely and nodded.
"Sure, no problem." he said and walked closer to me. I then looked back to Michael.
"Congratulations again, Michael. I hope she makes you happy." I said and quickly hugged him, before leaving with Javon.

For the entire ride, I remained silent and looked out of the window, trying hard to fight back the tears. Thank god Javon didn't ask anything...
Once he stopped the car in front of my apartment, he walked me to the door.

"Well... I guess I'll see you soon. Good night, Myra." he said smiling widely,
"Good night, Javon." I replied. He then slowly leaned closer to my face, and I could feel his breath gently caressing my skin. Soon he pressed his lips on mine, in a simple and gentle kiss. He gave me one more smile and left.

I then quickly walked inside, and Tala was sitting on the couch. As soon as she noticed me she turned off the TV and looked at me.

"And? How was dinner?" she asked excitedly, that's when I lost it. I went on my knees in front of her and released a loud scream accompanied with tears and sobs. I just wanted that pain in my chest to disappear... I can't take this anymore, it hurts too much. "Myra what the hell?! What happened?" she asked worried as she went on her knees as well, cupping my face. I was at loss of words and I didn't have the strength to talk right now.

She clearly understood, that's why she embraced me in a sweet hug and tried to comfort me, without asking any further questions.

"H-he p-proposed ... to L-Lisa." I said once I calmed down a little bit,
"He did what?! No he didn't. You're joking!" she replied, clearly surprised.
"N-no. I'm telling you t-the truth." I said while looking at her. "It hurts so much... I thought I could do this. But this is clearly too much." I added and started sobbing again.

We spent the entire night sitting on the sofa, talking about what happened, while she tried to comfort me. At some point she grabbed some wine, thinking that it would help me to stop thinking... and in the end I got drunk. What can I say... at least it helped me to stop thinking, and it helped me to fall asleep and shut down my mind for a while.

*Michael's POV*

The next morning I tried calling Myra multiple times, but she didn't answer to any of my calls.
I even asked Javon, but he said that he escorted her back home yesterday night and that she looked okay. He tried calling her as well, but still... no answer.

So I decided to get over there and look myself. I asked my securities to escort me to Myra's apartment and they did.

After 2 hours I finally arrived and knocked on the main door. Shortly after, Tala opened it.

"Tala? Where is Myra? Is she okay?" I asked worried,
"Michael... hi. She's, uhm... she's okay, don't worry." she replied. Something was going on, I had a weird feeling.
"You're lying... I can tell by your body language, by the way you can't look into my eyes and by the strong smell of alcohol. What happened?" I asked, trying to peek inside, but Myra wasn't there.
"Michael, please. She... she doesn't want to see you right now..." she replied and released a heavy sigh. Suddenly I felt a strong pain in my chest. She doesn't want to see me right now? Why? What have I done?
"What do you mean? Is it because of something that I've done?" I asked confused,
"She will come to you whenever she feels ready to do so. Until then, please... leave her alone." she finally said and slammed the door.

I was having tons of emotions right now and I didn't know on which one to focus. I felt heartbroken, confused, angry, sad... she doesn't want to see me. I lost her, I can feel it.

My securities then escorted me to the Studio, since I had some work to do. But I couldn't focus for the entire day. The anger and anguish kept growing inside of me... I can't bear the fact that I have probably lost my best friend. Something was going on, I knew it, I just can't understand why she doesn't talk to me.
But if she needs space... than that's what I'm going to give her.

After a long day in the studio, I finally made it back home. I took a shower, had dinner, and layed in my bed while turning on the TV. That's when the News Channel talked about Myra and Javon... "Javon Beard, Michael Jackson's Bodyguard, was spotted on a date with a young Filipino girl from Los Angeles" ... I clenched my jaw and turned the TV off.
I feel so guilty... I feel like it's my fault if Myra is feeling that way. But why? What have I done?