Comforting moments

Lizzie POV

The sound of water falling down woke me from my sleep. I looked to the side to see if there are rain drops falling down onto the window but there weren't any. It's not raining. I heard Chestnuts footsteps approach me and she whined while pushing her front paws onto me signing me to get up.

„Babe I think Chestnut is hungry." I mumbled half asleep as I pushed my arm to Nora's side to wake he up but her bed side was empty.

„Babe?" I called out for her but there was no reply.
I turned around and saw the bathroom lights through the door slide on the ground.
I looked at my phone to watch the clock and it's
3.23 am.

Chestnut kept on whining and I got up to stroke her head. I went to the bathroom door and nocked
but there wasn't any sound except for the shower.

„Nora I'll come in now." I opened the door and through the shower glass wall I saw Nora sit there in the shower naked while hugging her legs closely tight to her upper body.

„Babe are you okay?" I asked as I turned off the shower only to realize that the water is freezing cold.

„Love why would you shower at this time of the night and why with such a freezing water? Your gonna catch a cold." I questioned and now I heard her sniff her nose.

I went to grab a big towel to wrap her up. I placed my hand on her chin and pulled her head up to look at me only to see that her eyes are red and puffy from crying.

„What happened?" I asked her softly and she began to sob loudly.

„H-his hands on m-me. A-and I-." her voice was fading as if it's dissolving. Her body is shaking and I see some of her old scars I knew immediately who she was referring to.

„Babe I want to hug but I don't know if you want to be touched or not..."

„Please.." she pleaded broken and I didn't hesitate for a second to pull her into my arms.

One arm slipped around her back and the other laid on her head. Her head rested on my chest and my shirt became drenched in cold water but couldn't care less even if it felt cold. The moment we shared was warm.

„It's okay...shh. He is dead babe. He can't hurt you anymore."

„I dream of him. It felt so real." she spoke in between her sobs and I hugged her a bit tighter.

„You feel me now?" I asked her as I stroked my hands on her back and head. She nod lightly.

„This is real love. I am here. This moments is real.
He is just a bad memory that appears in your dream." i explained to her and I felt how her body became a bit loose.

„I can't sleep." she whispered and I wish I could block her dreams to become bad. So that she can rest properly. But I know that if she won't address her trauma fully she won't get over it at all and things will only get worse.

„Babe. I don't want to hurt you by saying this but... I want you to get some professional help love. I can't help you with getting over your trauma. But I can assure you that I will be here with you for every step you take and even if you might break again like now. I'll be there. Wake me up at night. Please I don't want you to go through this alone. You don't have to. Not anymore."

„I-I don't know what to say..." she sniffed her nose and cleared her throat.

„Nothing love. You don't have to say a single thing."
I whispered as I kissed her head.

„Come on. Let's get you out of this cold place and into some warm clothes hm." I offered her and she hummed quietly.

I helped her up and as we walked out the bathroom I took another towel for her hair that was a bit smaller. I sat her down on my bed side and went to the closet to get her some clothes.

I helped her put them on starting from her underwear to her shorts and then to her oversized shirt. I placed the first towel aside and took the dry one to ruffle her hair dry.

„No one ever took such care of me. I don't know how to thank you but I will try to do it every single day." she told me as I stopped ruffling her hair.

„You don't have to thank me for that. I do this willingly love." I stroked her cheek and she pushed her faces into my touch.

„Oh Chestnut sweetie I forgot about you I am so sorry." I ruffled her head as she appeared next to me.

„She was whining and pushing me to get up. She's probably hungry." I told Nora but she shook her head with a soft smile resting on her face.

„She's not hungry. She does this whenever I have some sort of panic attacks. She try's to call for help this way." she explained to me and I gave Chestnut a kiss on her head for being so supportive.

„Y'know ever since I rescued her as a puppy she's been the one helping me now. Chase and Quinn loved her instantly as soon as I showed them our new family member. I don't want to face the day where she will cross the rainbow bridge."
She barked in reply and Nora smiled down on her with glossy eyes.

„I think she said I love you." I told Nora and nudged her shoulders which made her giggle a bit.

„I'd like to believe that. She's my golden baby after all even if she's big now." she replied as she ruffled Chestnuts head which made her jump up into our bed.

„Come on let's lay down. I know you are still tired." I told Nora as I stroked her back. I laid down first and stretched my arms out to sign her that she should snuggle in. Which she did without hesitation.

„Thank you for everything." Nora mumbled and I kissed her head. We watched how chestnut walked in circles until she laid down and her tail was still wiggled like crazy even though she wants to sleep.

...