Part 58: Hopeless

Part 58: Hopeless

Kyun stares on the horizon as the sunset paints the scenery in soft orange colors and takes a sip of his whiskey.

Every now and then he turns his head and looks through the opened terrace door to make sure Anya is still asleep.

The past twenty-four hours have been the best of his existence. No words in any language can express how he feels. How happy. How lucky. How fulfilled.

After the tiredness finally overwhelmed her, Kyun watched Anya. For hours. To him, she's like the sun.

Bright. Warm. Healing. Everything he's not.

Eventually, he got up to sit outside. He didn't feel the need to drink while he was with her. But with her asleep, not there to comfort him, the usual pain returned.

He closes his eyes and lets his mind wander to a few clients. The ones he made deals with before he took his break. The ones he neglected in the past weeks.

It's weird that his job and clients used to be a lot of fun for him. Of course, he was bored often, but he still took this seriously. But now, compared to her, it all seems so small and meaningless...

Suddenly a feeling rushes through his body. A familiar feeling. One of his clients isn't okay. He focuses harder, tries to locate it, tries to—

It's Anya!

His head snaps to the side and he gasps when he finds her standing there beside him.

"Babygirl!" he says and sits up straight. "Are you alright? I wanted to check on my clients. Sorry if I scared you by leaving, I—"

"I'm okay!" she interrupts him, her voice low and kind of fragile. "I felt you near, and I knew in the worst case you were only a call away!"

It's only now when she walks up to him that Kyun realizes that the sun has set completely and the full moon shines upon her beautiful figure. He must've been sitting here for hours...

He eyes her carefully. "What's wrong, beautiful?"

For a long moment, she stands there and returns his gaze. Then she shakes her head. "Nothing! Do you need more time alone?"

"No!" He waves her over. "Come here!"

When she's close enough, he grabs her waist, frees her warm body from the blanket it's wrapped in and kisses her naked stomach, smiles against her skin.

Anya chuckles softly. Without a word, he pulls her to him on the beach bed and she cuddles up to him. As she leans her head against his shoulder, a sigh escapes her throat. With a heavy heart, he looks down at her.

"Did something happen?" he asks, not sure if she's willing to talk about it.

Again she shakes her head. "It was just... a nightmare..."

The past months showed that she trusts him with her worries. But maybe she needs to figure out what exactly is bothering her before she's able to talk about it. He assumes pretending they won't have to separate in a few weeks is harder for her than expected. He can't deny it's eating him up. It's like he's burning slowly from the inside out.

"How are they?" she asks eventually after they stare into the night sky for a moment. "Your clients, I mean..."

Kyun looks down at her and his hand glides through her hair, still messy from sleep.

"They're fine. I usually only check on them in the beginning to see if their wishes were fulfilled as they hoped for... but I neglected them a bit..."

Smiling, she cuddles closer to him. It amazes him how much her presence comforts him, how much she eases his pain. Now he's clinging to her, his personal intoxicant, like he clung to his whisky glass for the past few hours.