Part 32: Reality

Part 32: Reality

Two weeks later things are just like they always have been. Anya goes to the studio, to dance practices and when she gets home, Kyun is there—when he hasn't already joined her at work the whole day. Between all that she sleeps with men to get this deal done. She still loves having Kyun around and at the same time, she hates it. Because every minute she spends with him without actually being his is torture.

Neither of them have brought up the kiss from that night. Of course not. For him it was nothing and she isn't so stupid to give him a chance to explain to her why it was nothing.

On this Tuesday she gets up early to get some work done and has just walked into the kitchen to make herself a little breakfast when her phone rings. She glances at the name on the screen.
Taryn.

"Hey kiddo!" she says into her phone and looks at Kyun, who is hanging out on the couch lazily, snacking on a peach.

"Happy Valentine's Day!" Taryn says joyfully and Anya grins.

"Happy Valentine's Day to you too! Did you get my flowers?"

Her sister shrieks. "Yes! That's why I'm calling. My future partner will have it so hard competing with your ridiculously huge bouquets!"

"That's the mission!" Anya laughs while filling a bowl with yogurt. "I'm glad you liked them!"

They stick to a little small talk when Taryn suddenly begins to stammer. "Um...Anya, can I talk to you about something?"

"Sure!"

"First of all!" she chuckles. "I saw the pictures of you at that charity event! Nice catch with your boyfie. I thought you weren't dating?"

"We aren't dating!" Again she rolls her eyes, exasperated by the number of times she's said those words since the event. "We're just friends!"

Kyun snickers.

For a moment there's silence on the other line until Taryn clears her throat. "Okay, it's probably better this way. I'm not sure how he would react if he finds out that you slept with Kihyun while you were here!"

Anya can't help but laugh out loud. As if Kyun actually cares. The demon turns his head to her at the sound of her sudden laughter and she smirks at him.

"She just tried to make you jealous by mentioning that I slept with some dude over Christmas!"

The demon's eyes narrow and he scoffs. "Yeah... Nice try!"

Okay, is she reading too much into his expression or is there some real anger lurking behind his dismissiveness?

"Yeah! You aren't dating...that's why he's at your house this early in the morning?!" Taryn snickers.

"What's up?" Anya asks again, ignoring her comment.

"Okay!" Her sister seems very excited about whatever she has to tell her. "I talked to Kihyun..."

"Is that so?" she asks, walks over to Kyun, and takes the peach out of his hand despite his protest. Ignoring his whine, she walks back to the counter and cuts the bitten fruit into slices for her bowl. It's the last one.

"Listen..." Taryn says. "back in high school when he rejected you. You didn't talk to him in person, right? You never actually heard him saying that he would 'never date your ugly ass even if you were the last person on earth' and all this other horrible stuff, right?"

She groans. She has no idea what this is about, and can't believe her sister is wasting her time with this bullshit now.

"Of course not!" She shakes her head, irritated. "This was high school!" As if anyone ever spoke to someone else in person. There were always third parties involved. But what Ki said didn't surprise her. It fit his entire attitude, and she's always been into jerks.