Prologue

My babes.
It's finally happening 🥹
Hope you'll enjoy this prologue. Let me know your thoughts! And don't forget to vote, if you liked it 🖤

*~*

Prologue

Shivering, Anya stands in the middle of a crossroad, her eyes darting in every direction to catch the slightest movement. The soft breeze rushing through the field alongside the road, and the chirping crickets by the small creek combined with an owl howling in the distance, make her shiver. In daylight, when the sun shines upon the wildflowers in the field and the birds sing, this is a beautiful place. But in the middle of the night, illuminated only by the light of a full moon that washes everything into black and white, it creeps her out.

Well...what's actually creeping her out is what she just did.

As per instructions, she buried a box in the dead center of this crossroad. This box contains a picture of her, some graveyard dirt, and a bone from a black cat. Anya is glad she didn't have to look for the stuff herself but got them from a close family friend. That friend also made sure she's well equipped for this, gave her everything she might need.

A few moments pass and Anya sighs deeply when nothing happens. Of course, this doesn't work. Would've been way too nice...

But suddenly she feels a cold breeze and notices she's not alone anymore. With a shaky breath and wet palms, she turns around.

Gasping, the young girl takes a step back as she sees someone standing behind her, not far away, until she realizes it's just a dude. It's still creepy, but less so than what she had expected.

"Gosh, you scared me to death!" Chuckling nervously, she lays her hand on her chest.

The arrival tilts his head, confused, and she eyes him carefully. He's taller than her, with pitch black long hair that falls into his face, slender stature, sharp facial features...

Anya wonders how this dude got here and what she is supposed to do if this underworld creature really shows up.

"Did..." The dude's voice is deep and raspy. "Did you summon me?"

Her eyes widen in shock and she takes another step back. She can't say exactly what she expected but definitely not a human being... or something that looks human. The words get stuck in her throat and she feels her pulse quicken.

Gulping, she looks at him. "You... you are the Crossroad Demon?"

A low chuckle comes out of him. "I know... I'm sexy as fuck, aren't I? People don't expect that."

Her fear is way too overwhelming to focus on his appearance now. She assumes all of these creatures are beautiful in their human form. After all, they wanna make deals, not scare people away.

"How old are you?" he asks now and walks closer to her.

It takes Anya a few moments to find her voice again. "I'm... sixteen..."

"Sixteen?" he asks and seems irritated. "Holy shit!" Still frozen with fear, she doesn't dare to move. Why does her age matter here? "Go home, girly!" he says roughly and turns. "It's late!"

"Wait!" Anya blurts, and hurries after him. 

As her fingers close around his forearm, a feeling sinks down deep into her bones. A dark, cold feeling.

The creature stops and looks down the arm she's holding before their eyes lock. He's so close now that she sees their color.

Red as blood.

Abruptly she lets go of him and flinches back.

"I... I need your help!" she insists and tries to keep her voice steady. She figures it's better not to show him how terrified she is.