Part 37: Sunshine

Part 37: Sunshine

Three weeks.

It's been three weeks since Anya last heard from Kyun or seen him.

Three fucking weeks.

After she saved his life, this little bitch has the audacity to just disappear and leave her broken and alone.

The sadness she felt in the first days slowly turned into anger. She's so goddamn mad at him and his behavior.

How dare he keep her in the dark? How dare he leave her like that after everything that they've been through in the past ten months?

In these three weeks, Joo has been a real lifesaver. The day she had a meltdown in his arms changed their relationship. He became a real friend, not just an acquaintance or a colleague.

With his help, as the days passed, the more bearable it got. Anya has two explanations for that: Maybe she has to be close to the demon to want him. Maybe the attraction only works when she can actually see or feel him.

Or...

She's deep in denial. Again.

Considering who she is, she's scared it's the latter. Because she wants to be free from Kyun. She never wanted to fall in love with a demon in the first place, and has always tried to get distance from him. Finally, she has this distance. She should be grateful.

But the fact that she hasn't made a single deal since he's been gone is proof to her that she's still hoping. She's lying to herself, telling herself that she needs a moment to breathe, telling herself that she will go on with this deal as soon as she has the headspace for it. Anya still has eleven weeks and only twelve dudes left—easy.

But there are moments she can't hide from the suspicions that sound like truth in her mind.

What if she only stopped collecting souls because she's hoping Kyun might show up to teach her a lesson?

Bullshit.

And so stupid because it seems like Kyun couldn't care less.

He left her.

Anya knows she has to go on with the deal. And she will!

Soon. Right now she wants to focus on Joo. Because he makes her feel good. He's the complete opposite of Kyun. Being with him is like having her own little sunshine around.

He gives her space when she needs it, makes sure she gets enough sleep while she's working with him, that she eats enough, has enough fun...

He pulls her into his world, into a world of bright colors and sunshine and happiness instead of darkness and frustration.

"Okay, wow!" Joo gasps and leans back in his chair while Anya stares at her hands with a huge smile on her face as the music slowly fades out.

"Joo!" She raises her head to look at him. "This is amazing!"

"I know!" he squeals and pulls her into a hug. "We created something incredible!"

Laughing with joy, she returns the hug.

Over the past three weeks, they'd managed to record and finish both songs they've been working on. Not a single day passed without them meeting in his studio, arranging things a little differently, changing lyrics, and giving their art some finishing touches. And the result is beyond everything she's ever dreamt of. The last time she was so proud was after finishing "Dancing With The Devil."

"We should celebrate it!" Joo says and gets up. "Shall we go have lunch somewhere outside this stuffy studio?"

Tired, she stretches like a cat in her chair. "Sounds good! What do you have in mind?"