Part 54: Truth

Baaaabes 😭 I finally made it. Omg. I swear this chapter almost broke me. This took me way to long and the tears I shed along the way weren't because it's so touching 😂
I'm sorry for making you wait. It was no fun for me either, I swear 🫠
Please, leave a vote if you liked this chapter! 🥰🖤

Part 54: Truth

The deafening silence after Kyun's words is the same as the one that followed Anya's confession.

The demon doesn't know what's going on inside her head, but judging by her face, it's exactly what he expected. He never meant to confess to her, but after two weeks feeling their bond and his unconditional love for her so clearly, he couldn't keep on hiding things, especially not after what happened with Alistair.

Wide-eyed, she stares at him as tears run down her cheeks faster than she's able to collect her thoughts.

"Don't!" she breathes and takes a step back. "Don't do this to me!"

Her breathing is getting heavier. There's this burning inside her chest that makes her want to crumble with pain.

"Don't..." she repeats and Kyun watches her, shocked. "I'm already yours, Changkyun! I'm already willing to do anything you ask me to! What do you want? Tell me what you want and I'll do it, just... don't!" Crying, she wraps her arms around her torso, curling her body around the pain in her chest. "Don't pretend to love me! I can't believe you're doing this to me!"

The fire in her chest spreads and her crying becomes hysterical. She's furious that after everything he's playing this card now. Anya thought she knew him, she thought he'd never hurt her on purpose. After everything with Henry, she thought he knew that words like these, spoken without sincerity, are her worst nightmare.

Kyun's jaw drops and he shakes his head vehemently. This is the last thing he wanted.

"Babygirl, no!" he says and grabs her shoulders to keep her from collapsing to the ground. "Please calm down and look at me!" Pleading, he lifts her head by her chin.

The moment their eyes lock, she snaps. With all the strength left in her body, she shoves him away from her.

"You asshole!" she cries and shoves him again. "You stupid, lying asshole!"

Kyun doesn't defend himself. He gets her anger. Why would she believe him? After all, he made it more than clear over the past year that this is impossible.

"I know this sounds like bullshit!" he says. "But I'm telling the truth!"

"But you can't love!"

"Turns out I can!" The demon grabs her wrist and pulls her closer again, holding her tightly. "And don't tell me you didn't feel it over the past weeks!"

Anya grows rigid. Wide-eyed, she stares at him. Yes, she felt it, but she thought it was just wishful thinking.

How is she supposed to get rid of all her beliefs, get rid of everything he's taught her? How is she supposed to believe him so easily?

"Please, listen to me!"

She refuses to buy the desperation in his voice. She closes her eyes and takes a few deep breaths. No matter what story he's about to tell, she has to be strong enough to see through him. She can't let herself get fooled again.

Kyun lets go of her and she takes a few steps back, sits on the mattress, her insides watery, her limbs shaking.

See through him, Anya! Don't believe him!

He can't love, he can't feel this way. If there's one thing she's absolutely certain of, it's this. But she's willing to listen.

So she raises her head and at the coldness in her gaze, Kyun feels a pang in his chest. A part of him is proud that she doesn't believe him so easily. The other part is desperate for her to do so.