Part 26: Fake it

Part 26: Fake it

A few hours later Anya stands in a huge apartment in downtown Los Angeles and tries to cling to her sanity while pretending to have the time of her life.

The reason she's here is definitely not because Kyun wanted her to be. No.
After what happened earlier, the last thing she wants is to do him a favor.

But he's definitely the reason she's here. Her original plan to stay at home and enjoy some takeout and a nice movie would've only worked if she'd remained in the good mood she was in when she got home. In her current state, it would've been a disaster and she would've gotten lost in her thoughts and probably cried herself to sleep. She wanted to stay at home, yes. But she didn't wanna stay at home being miserable about a demon.

To make matters worse, Taylor, the main reason she's here rather than at some other party, is so busy entertaining her guests that Anya hasn't spoken to her since she greeted her with a warm hug and lovely words.

But Anya is surprised by how good her acting skills are. In a performance that makes her wonder why Coop hasn't sent her to any auditions for TV or film cameos, she manages to cover up her inner struggle, her hurting heart, to socialize.

Maybe it's because she's used to it. She's been to a lot of parties she didn't want to go to lately. And the alcohol definitely helps!

"Ahh shut up!" she yells over-dramatically after Jacob, a dude she knows well from all these parties, tells her about his latest hookup disaster. "And then you just left?"

Laughing, he nods. "Couldn't stand being there a single second longer and—" He stops himself and looks past her. "Oh my! Sorry, babe, have to say hi!"

With these words, he leaves her standing there by herself. She raises her glass to the emptiness he leaves behind before taking a big gulp.

A little irresolutely, she looks around to see if she can spot someone she knows or if there's a place to sit. Multiple little groups are standing together, chatting, laughing and she'd love to be part of that. But her social energy for those superficial kinds of conversations isn't high enough...

Suddenly she spots a free seat.

Bingo!

Determined, she aims for the spot on the couch, carefully pushing past a few guests, mumbling apologies and trying her best not to let her weariness show. Her legs in those high heels are killing her. Not the best idea to wear new shoes today...

Suddenly she trips over something.
She stumbles and can already see herself in the emergency room with a gash on her head from hitting the table when she suddenly feels some arms wrapping around her waist, stopping her fall. Her drink slips through her hands and the glass shatters at her feet, but at least it wasn't her body making that impact.

"I got you!"

"Fuck!" She gasps as the person who just caught her pulls her back upright.

"Are you okay?"

She needs a moment to realize he's talking to her before she turns her head and looks into a man's honey-brown eyes.

"Yes!" she stammers, still a little shocked. "Yes, I'm okay!"

Embarrassed about what just happened, she looks down to see what made her trip. A cord on the floor.

Great.

The dude lets go of her and chuckles. "I'm glad I was able to come to your rescue!"

Hold up!

These dimples. The accent...