Part 21: Home

Part 21: Home

"Do you think it's a happy coincidence or simply fate that you're from Georgia, babygirl?"

Grinning, Anya throws some clothes into her suitcase and looks at Kyun, who sits on the little chair in her bedroom and, as always, snacks on a peach.

"I thought the reason you appeared when I summoned a crossroad demon was because you were hanging on a peach plantation nearby. Is that not it?!"

Kyun throws his head back, laughing. "This sounds like something way too heavenly for hell to allow!"

She can't help but laugh as well.

"You will bring me peaches, right?" His eyes spark. "The juiciest you can find!"

"Can't you just jump there by yourself? You'd literally be there in a heartbeat!"

"Nah!" Kyun smacks. "It's not the same when you have to buy them yourself..."

Biting her lip to hide her grin, she nods. "I'll see what I can do!"

Christmas is around the corner. And Kyun convinced her to spend it with her family. For the past few Decembers, she's been too busy to do so. She must say, she's looking forward to this. Being home. Being a normal girl for once.

Though it will be weird going back to that very town in the outskirts of which she met Kyun for the first time. It's crazy, ten years ago she'd never thought the demon that terrified her to death on that crossroad would sit here with her snacking, watching her packing her suitcase while they're having random conversations.

It feels... good.

Too good.

To be honest, the only reason she said yes to Kyun's plan of spending Christmas at home is to get away from him for a while. It will be hard, she knows that. And she's almost one hundred percent sure he'll show up anyway. But she has to try at least. Has to try to talk to living people, be around them instead of demons and warlocks. She has to get her feelings under control.

"What are your plans for Christmas?" she asks now and Kyun tilts his head as she puts her panties into her suitcase with teasing slowness.

"Ah, you must know us heathens loooove Christmas!" He smirks, his eyes following her panties falling in the bag.

She chuckles. "Big family dinner down there?"

"Yeah," he says sarcastically. "With presents and food. We'll have a blast!"

For a moment they both chuckle and she has the urgent desire to ask him to come with her. To spend Christmas with her. But she knows this wouldn't be the best idea. And he definitely doesn't care anyway. Because he never cares about anything...

"I'll spend those days at suicide hotspots. You know, skyscrapers, bridges..." he explains and she lifts her head, her brows furrowed.

"Why? Doesn't suicide send humans to hell anyway?"

It's almost creepy how easy it is for her to talk with Kyun about death and all this. As if this wasn't a tragic thing. Smacking his lips, he shakes his head before throwing the peach pit into the trash can and getting up.

"That's a myth. But no soul is easier to get than the ones that are lost anyway!"

Her body tenses when he walks behind her and his deep voice caresses her senses. "It's never easier than when a person has nothing left. I'm giving them a new life," he whispers and tucks her hair over her shoulder. "A new perspective, a chance."

Frozen, she stares at her suitcase until she gathers the composure to turn her head to him. "Until you get their souls ten years later..."

"Right!" Kyun smirks and leans closer. "But these ten years will be worth it!"