Part 20: Kyun

Part 20: Kyun

"Changkyun!" Anya breathes, puts her drink on the table, and almost throws herself into his embrace. To her utter surprise, he wraps his arms around her waist and holds her tightly.

"He knew it!" he rumbles into the skin of her shoulder. "Alistair knew my momma would see the real me."

"You couldn't have known, Kyun. It was a trap!" she whispers.

He remains silent, still holding her tight. A little too tight. Anya feels the air crushing from her lungs.

"I can't breathe, Kyunnie!"

Instantly his arms loosen around her.

"Sorry!" he mumbles.

She leans back to tell him there's nothing to be sorry about when she suddenly jumps with fright. Gasping, she flinches to the edge of the couch, her heart pounding so hard that she feels every beat in her throat.

The crimson color of Kyun's eyes is gone. They're pitch black! And not just the iris. His entire eyeballs have turned a shade of black Anya has never seen before, a black that reflects the darkness and sorrow of a tortured soul.

Fuck!

"I'm sorry!" Kyun lowers his gaze and closes his eyes. "Give me a moment...."

Her heart is still hammering in her chest as she stares at his hand clutching around his whisky glass. But the fact that he's talking to her in a normal way slowly calms her.

"Sometimes I..." he mumbles, his eyes still closed, "I lose control..."

Was that part of his real demonic self? Was that what his mother saw when she met him after all those years of torture?

"It's okay!" she says, even though her heart is about to collapse.

Anya watches him. She feels the pain of her fingernails piercing into her palm as she clutches her hands into fists.

Finally, Kyun opens his eyes. The crimson color has returned and she releases a breath she didn't know she was holding.

Remembering this upsets him so much and she hates that he has to relive this only because she's so nosy.

"You don't have to keep on going!" Anya takes his hand again.

The demon smirks weakly and tilts his head. "Do you wanna know?"

As much as she tries to stop herself from doing it, she nods.

"Then I will go on..." He clears his throat and straightens. "Not gonna lie, looking back at this whole thing with my momma now... she was a badass for making me leave like that. Imagine if you were to encounter a demon! Even if he kind of looked like your son, would you be able to react this way?"

She shakes her head. "Absolutely not!"

This woman really was a badass. As painful as this memory is for Kyun, it says a lot about how strong his mother was.

"Needless to say, Alastair's plan worked out perfectly! After this, I had nothing left to hold on to. Pretty quickly wrath was all I felt. And sadness, and loneliness. Then I let the transition happen."

Anya can't blame him. She would've folded like a lawn chair after three days, not to mention sixty years.

"The force in me was so strong that the energy of my transition killed about a hundred demons and lost souls in my surroundings." A proud smirk appears on his face and she can't help but chuckle. But then the smirk vanishes. "I was blinded by rage, blinded by revenge. I couldn't be part of the human world ever again, and I wanted them to pay, wanted hell to pay. I was so angry and the underworld was my own personal battlefield. I killed everyone that crossed my way, leaving a path of destruction and devastation. I wanted to become someone others fear, wanting them to bow when they see me!"