Part 51: Golden

Part 51: Golden

The absolute peaceful silence that covers Anya like a warm blanket is what wakes her and her suspicion.

Taking a deep breath, she moves her weary body, her bones groaning and aching.

Shit.

Slowly, she opens her eyes, needing a moment for her vision to clear before she's able to look around.

This is not her bedroom. This isn't even her apartment.

That, or she forgot about the huge comfortable four-poster bed and the white sheets she's laying in and the entire room with its wooden floor and soft beige curtains in front of the huge window.

What is this place?

Anya's heart begins pounding in her chest as she looks around frantically. Is this rehab? Was it a heroin trip after all?

Before her mind can even form the thought, her mouth opens. "Kyuuuuuuun?"

Wow. Her voice sounds like a cat throwing up. Just as she's about to clear her throat to try it another time, the door to her left opens and the demon walks in.

"Good morning, babygirl!" he says in a soft voice with a gorgeous smile on his face.

Anya's jaw drops.

His usual suit and tie look is gone. Instead, he's barefoot, wearing...sweat-shorts and...is that a muscle shirt?

She always thought she was a sucker for well-dressed men, but this casual look on Kyun makes him even more attractive. How is this even possible?

Wide-eyed, she observes him head to toe, Kyun follows her gaze down at himself and chuckles.

"Suit and tie would've been too much here!" He falls next to her on the mattress, and eyes her soothingly. "How are you feeling?"

"Here?" she asks and tries to sit up.
God, why is—
Suddenly she remembers what happened and her head shoots at Kyun. "The show! Oh my god, what happened? I—"

"Relax, babygirl, please!" Kyun pushes her back into the pillows as she's about to get up. "You need rest. I mean it. Everything is in control, okay? I talked to Coop, he wants you to relax. Just like I do!"

Shit. Shit. Shit.

The last thing she remembers is singing "Devoted" and then... nothing.

"What happened?" she breathes and Kyun sighs deeply. "You broke down on stage and I brought you to Magnus... I... I need you to take something..."

He holds a little bottle between them and she tilts her head. "What is it?"

"It's..." he pauses. "Babygirl, I haven't forgotten what you said to me before you went on stage. I do respect your decision but I need you to reconsider this. This potion will help you get rid of the anxiety of stealing these souls, the guilt that's been eating you up lately. You don't have to take it, but this can help you get this under control..."

For a long moment Anya looks at the potion between Kyun's artistic fingers. He's right, the guilt has been eating her up and was the reason she told Kyun that she can't finish the deal. But the moment she spoke those words in the backstage area she felt herself suffocating, crushing under the weight of facing hell all over again after trying for almost eleven months to avoid it.
Anya knows taking that potion isn't the right thing to do, but it's the best way. The only way. For herself, her life.

Fuck this.

Before she can reconsider, she grabs the bottle, uncorks it and swallows its contents.
Tastes like peaches.