Part 38: Collapse

Part 38: Collapse

"Kyun," Anya tries to sound as nonchalant as possible. "Been a while..."

She doesn't want to show him how much his appearance throws her off guard, doesn't want him to see how angry she is. He doesn't deserve to know all this.

With shaky legs, she kneels down and begins to collect the broken glass from the floor while mumbling curses underneath her breath.

"Yeah, three weeks if I remember it correctly," he says and sounds just as chill and confident as he used to.

Asshole.

While trying to control her breath, she opens the trash can underneath the sink and throws the glass into it.

"I actually came to ask you what's going on." These words make her look up to him for the first time. "Three weeks and no new deal..."

Anya scoffs inwardly.

Of course.

She won't let him ruin her again; she had a wonderful day and is determined not to let him bring her down now.

"Yeah!" She dries the floor with an old towel. "I was busy..."

"Busy?" Kyun replies as she gets up and walks around the island to put some distance between them.

"Yeah...busy!"

She's trying so hard to avoid his gaze while pretending to tidy up the kitchen. But this becomes impossible when he moves closer and she feels his warm breath in her ear.

"Look at me, babygirl!" he rumbles and she gulps heavily, takes a few deep breaths, and turns her head.

The moment his crimson eyes meet hers again, this entire house of cards built up on lies falls together. Her heart begins to pound in her chest and a huge lump builds up in her throat.

Kyun comes closer and with each step he takes forward, she takes a step back, until the fridge against her back stops her. His hand wraps around her neck and Anya's breath hitches.

"I am so fucking sick of reminding you over and over again how important this is! When are you going to get it through your head? You have eleven weeks and twelve dudes left. Your math doesn't work here!"

His closeness and the way he seizes her neck make it impossible for her to speak, or even think.

She only has two options now: Throw a tantrum because he dares come at her like this or—

No.

She won't give him that kind of satisfaction!

With newfound confidence, she puts on a smile. "Don't worry about me!" She takes his wrist and pulls his hand away from her neck. "I will go on with the deal, I was just busy, like I said!"

Hoping he doesn't notice the clamminess of her palms, she pushes him away gently, turns and opens the fridge. She's definitely not hungry—all the Korean food she ate suddenly feels like a lead weight in her stomach—but she needs something to seem busy. 

Without a word, she takes out the ingredients for a sandwich.

"Excuse me!" She smiles at Kyun after she's grabbed the stuff and pushes him away again to put it on the counter.

His low chuckle fills the room but besides that, he remains silent. Anya wonders if she just made him speechless or if he's considering whether it would be easier to just kill her. 

"When?" he asks as she smears some mayo on her bread slices.

"Soon!" she replies without looking at him.