Part 48: Morals

Here's a small chapter, hope you like it. Love you 🖤

~*~

Part 48: Morals

The next morning, Anya rolls out of bed. She hasn't slept so well in weeks, and the very vivid dream of Kyun cuddling her was definitely the cherry on top. She even swears she can still smell his scent of peaches and ebony on her oversized sleeping shirt.

As she walks into the bathroom to wash herself and brush her teeth, her eyes fall on the bathtub. Nothing reminds of the conversation they had in here last night but still it's as if it still lingers in the walls, whispering those words she was finally able to say right back at her. Even now, after a good, long sleep, Anya still has no regrets about confessing to Kyun.

It was necessary.

A necessary move for the demon to know why Anya acted the way she did and how she will act in the future. With this deal, he became a part of her, just like she became a part of him. And as much as Anya has to deal with his nature, he also has to deal with and adjust to her feelings.

Yawing, she walks into the living room, shuffling her feet on the ground, turns on the TV with a lazy movement to have the background noise she needs desperately when Kyun isn't there to shut down her own thoughts, and tosses the remote on the couch.

As she takes yogurt out of the fridge and pours some into a bowl, she can't help but wonder where Kyun is. It's late, almost 11 AM. Usually, he's already taken a shower and come to her by now. She sincerely hopes he doesn't plan to make himself scarce after her confession.

He promised not to.

But he also said to never trust a demon, so his actions are always unpredictable. It's like—

"...Henry Wilkerson." At the sound of his name coming out of the TV, Anya jerks her head to the side. "The twenty-nine-year-old was found dead in Elysian Park near Dodgers Stadium. Now, please be advised that the details of this case might be disturbing to sensitive viewers. At this time, the police are unable to identify a culprit. Wilkerson was stabbed multiple times, which could be a sign of a human attacker, but what puzzles the police is that his heart was ripped out in a way we usually only see wild animals do, which is also contradictory, 'cause usually animals maul the rest of the body as well," the morning-show lady on the TV reports. Anya feels her stomach turning, the yoghurt searching it's way up again. "The financial advisor was under investigation for embezzling huge amounts of money from his clients so there are many suspects in this case. One of the victim's clients, who reportedly threatened him just a day prior to his death in front of several eyewitnesses, was arrested this morning. We will continue to monitor this investigation as it develops..."

With a trembling body, Anya stares at the TV. It takes her what feels like an eternity to process what she just saw. The moment it hits her, she drops the spoon on the counter, and a loud whimper escapes her throat.

"Changkyun!"

"Ah!" the demon sighs, happily not even a second after Anya called him. "Nothing is more beautiful than your shrieking first thing in the morning!" He grins down at her but this grin instantly vanishes as his eyes fall on hers. Wide-eyed, he takes a step closer. "What's wrong, babygirl?"

Again she has this feeling in her chest, a feeling of suffocating. Every breath she takes requires more effort than usual as she maintains eye contact with the demon.

"What the fuck did you do?"

Kyun tilts his head. "What do you mean?"

"Henry!"

The demon sighs and looks around the room. "Wow... news spreads fast..." he says. "I took care of him!"

Anya's jaw drops. Something inside of her hoped he would at least try to deny it.