11

[Chapter 11]

Lethokuhle Khumalo

The weekend has ended, so that means i'm back home and my grandparents are back. Gogo has been giving me looks and when I ask her about it, she says it's nothing. I was in my room sleeping, I actually have been just thinking about whatever it is that Lwande and I have. He has never said anything about us and i'm just following his lead which is now kind of getting hard for me. I have been avoiding going over to his house.

Gogo: "Sit up and let's talk." I sit up and lean against the headboard while she takes a seat right by my feet.

Me: "Mah?"

Gogo: "I'm noticing some changes in you, I don't know if it's growing or its something you shouldn't be doing Lethokuhle." my heart beats fast as she stares right into my eyes.

Me: "What do you mean Mah?"

Gogo: "I don't know, you tell me. If you already doing adult things, let me know so we can take preca whilst it's still early."

Me: "Okay mah. Once I start, I will let you know but won't you be mad?"

Gogo: "Not at all baby. I just want to be careful this time around. I don't want what happened to Ayanda to happen to you." I nod smiling. I make a reminder at the back of my mind to visit the clinic once I go back to school.

Me: "Thank you mah. I love you so much."

Gogo: "Oh thixo! I wonder what do you want ke manje!" I giggle.

Me: "Well, mah there's these sneakers neh? Yoh.."

Gogo: "Forget it baby." I pout at her sulking but she just pecks my lips and walks out.

Me: "It's fine, baba will get it for me!" I shout after her.

Gogo: "Not my man sisi !!" I laugh.

************
Later on, Gogo Mnikathi comes over to tell us that they will be heading to Joburg tomorrow morning for some celebration happening in her daughter inlaw's maiden home and so they were invited as family. She asks if I want to come along to make things easier when it's time to go back to Res. I politely decline and let her know that I still want to spend time with my grandparents. She leaves after sometime and now Gogo is just staring at me.

Me: "Why you looking at me like that?!"

Gogo: "Why did you decline? I know you would never miss a chance to spend time with the Mnikathi's."

Me: "I just want to spend time with my parents, is that so wrong mah?"

Gogo: "Not at all baby, unless you lying to me."

Me: "I seriously am not lying." she gives me the 'really now?' look making me shy away from her stare.

Gogo: "Baby, you can talk to me about anything. Come on."

Me: "I just sometimes feel like i'm being pitied.."

Gogo: "Pitied about what?"

Me: "Hawu mah. I'm an orphan that lives with her grandparents.."

Gogo: "Stop it roght there baby. It's been years! years of you being that close to the Mnikathi's besides you know I've been friends with MaMnikathi ever since you were born so what is this about? I'm not saying you wrong for feeling like that but i just want to understand my baby. I also didn't know that you an orphan apparently. Isn't your grandpa and I your parents?"

Me: "You are mama and i'm really grateful for everything you two do for me. You and Mkhulu are honestly the best parents ever. You both always make sure I get anything i want and everything and that is just pleasing. I really appreciate the both of you mama and I wish that i can only show you guys just how much I do."

Gogo: "Come here sthandwa sami." i snuggled in her arms, laying my head on her breasts.