25

[Chapter 25]

Lethokuhle

The past two months, my grandfather had managed to convince me to let Lwa have a relationship with my son. He made me see reason including the fact that Sqalo might end up resenting me in the near future for not letting him know his real father. Lwa then started seeing Sqalo who was very happy to finally meet his daddy. This all happened two months ago and Lwa has only came to see my son two times and it's never more than two hours. He'd just come and drive with him to McD for ice cream and a happy meal then buy him junk, give him some money, and that's it. It only irritates me so much that he only came into our lives to play with my son's feelings like this.

Sqalo: "Mama. Will baba play soccer with me?"

Me: "Maybe you should ask him yabo?" he smiles widely and nods. My son is so excited about this outing he has with his father and i'm only hoping that Lwa doesn't disappoint him. He had asked for him to sleep over at his house and I agreed after asking my father. Sqalo woke up very early this morning, he didn't even wake me up to make him his cereal but he did it on his own. He only woke me up later to get his outfit ready and i did, he had already bathed himself then.

Sqalo: "Mama, call him please." he begged. He was getting impatient now and that will only make him grumpy the whole day if he really becomes fed up."

Me: "Okay." I dial Lwande's number and hand the phone to Sqalo but it reaches voicemail. He just throws my phone on the table and sits on the couch looking all sad.

Me: "Don't you want to go out with mommy?" he shakes his head with tears brimming in his eyes. I hear a car park outside, I peek and it's him. He gets out of his car carrying a gift bag. I open the door before he can even knock.

Me: "He's in the living room." I follow behind him. He crouches down next to Sqalo

Lwande: "Champ." Sqalo raises his head very fast and his eyes lighten up same time.

Sqalo: "Baba!" he throws his little arms around him. They then converse after exchanging greetings.

Lwande: "Can you do daddy a favour?"

Sqalo: "Yes?"

Lwande: "Can you please forgive daddy? I can't take you with me anymore because i have a crisis..."

Sqalo: "I don't like you anymore!" he cries then runs to me. Lwa is just standing there watching, I lay my son gently on the couch and turn to this man.

Me: "Luzelwande ngicela ungiphumele kwami." he sighs and stands up. (..please leave my house.)

Lwande: "I'm.."

Me: "Don't even! You are always sorry, uyanginyanyisa! I'm starting to regret ever letting you in my son's life. He had such a great life without you and you just had to feature yourself in and ruin that ngoba vele it's what you do! You ruin everything good happening for people! Please leave and only come back once you ready to have a relationship with him and not to throw your money around as if he needs it." I click my tongue. He turns to walk off

Me: "Don't forget this." I throw his stupid gifts at him not caring that they hit his face and shut my door. I go back to my baby and cuddle him quietly. I hear his car drive off then a few minutes later my man walks in, he plants a soft kiss on my forehead and Sqalo's with his arms circled around my waist. Sqalo wiggles out of my arms and goes straight to Lizwi who carries him. I go to the kitchen to prepare some lunch for all of us.

Lizwi: "Sthandwa sami." he says walking in with Sqalo in his arms who is so engrossed with the phone in his hands. He places Sqalo on top of the counter and walks to me. We kiss briefly

Me: "Hey. uhm i don't think we will be able to continue with our plans for tonight."

Lizwi: "Why? We can always take the little champ with us nje." I sigh.

Me: "I don't know Lizwi. Let me ask him first because he was still hurt by what his father did."

Lizwi: "Don't worry about that, we've already talked with this little guy, right champ?" Sqalo nods and they fist bump.

Me: "Okay fine!"

Lizwi: "And you are sleeping over, that's final!" i roll my eyes and go back to making sandwiches.

*********
We had an indoor picnic kind of thing and yes, with Sqalo who kept running his mouth. I was just happy to see that he had gotten over what Lwande did. They now both asleep on the couch with Sqalo on top of Lizwi. I thought they were watching their weird sport, cricket like I don't understand the sport maybe if it was soccer then I would have understood it better because it's a common sport. I have come to understand that Sqalo loves cricket and soccer, I understand the soccer part but cricket? I will never understand it shame.

I am currently busy around Lizwi's kitchen making dinner. After the big lunch we had, I'm cooking something quick and easy. I'm making some pap, lightly mild chakalaka and leftover KFC chicken from earlier.

A knock comes through and I go open. An older woman stands before me with two kids, a young boy and a baby girl in her arms.

Woman: "This child is very heavy, atleast carry her if you going to make us stand outside all evening." she says with a smile. I smile embarrassed and let her in after taking the baby from my arms.

Me: "I'm sorry."

Woman: "How are you my child?"

Me: "I'm well thanks mah. You must be tired, I will make you some tea. Dinner will be ready shortly." she smiles nodding. They sit on the dining table that is right in the kitchen. Just as I'm about to go wake this man after handing the woman some tea, he walks in rubbing his eyes.

Boy: "Baba!!!" the boy throws himself at him, he smiles widely and throws him in the air before kissing his forehead. He puts him down.

Lizwi: "I missed you Fanaz."

Boy: "Me too ndoda." he responds cutely shaking his hand. Lizwi walks to the woman and hugs her then kisses her cheek before taking the baby from her.

Lizwi: "I thought y'all were coming tomorrow?"

Woman: "Change of mind son. Your cousin was coming this side and so he gave us a lift.

Lizwi: "Ohh. Well this is my lovely woman that I told you about mah." he says coming closer to me. I just wish I can slap him right now.

Woman: "Oh I like her for you. I'm kaMajola my baby." I smile and nod briefly.

Me: "And I'm Lethokuhle Mdlalose."

Me: "I need to check on my son." I leave him with his mother. Sqalo is still sleeping so I stall a bit before going back to the kitchen.

Me: "My chakalaka is a bit spicy so I don't know if the kids will eat it?" I had to ask because I know my son will eat it, that one is just weird because he eats anything spicy and I blame myself. I ate everything during my pregnancy, and so I guess that stuck with him. I dish up for everyone after they confirm it's not a problem. I take Sqalo's bowl and walk with it to the lounge. I wake him up

Me: "Wake up and eat baby." he sits up fast and smiles once he sets his eyes on me. I kiss his nose then start feeding him.

Sqalo: "Where's uncle?"

Me: "In the kitchen. Finish your food first and he brought you a friend."

Sqalo: "Really?" he beams, I nod smiling.