20

[Chapter 20]

Lethokuhle

I was shocked this morning to be woken up by a call from Nqobile. Our friendship just took a different turn all those years ago. We stopped talking, texting and well I was actually tired of being the only one who put an effort so i decided to let that ship sink. She was just making small talks but i wasn't interested really so i made an excuse to hang up.

Right now im busy with my son's laundry and the sun isn't being so kind to me right now.

Gogo: "Thotho!"

Me: "Mah?" i leave the laundry outside and go to her inside. I find her and Sqalo cuddling while watching their favourite cartoon show, Bluey. I honestly made peace with how Sqalo suddenly took my place, even with Mkhulu. He gets all the attention i used to get and all the spoiling but i'm not complaining one bit.

Gogo: "Are you done?"

Me: "I'm almost done mah." Sqalo's laundry never allows me to do it with the washing machine because of how dirty he gets. I always have to handwash his clothes and it is not fun at all.

Gogo: "Go finish up then go to the shops. We want some fries and fat cakes." I huff annoyed already.

Me: Kodwa mah! USqalo can go nje."

Gogo: "Aybo! have you seen the weather outside?! You want him to be burnt by the sun?!"

Me: "So i must be burnt by the sun?"

Sqalo: "Yes thotho! Now hurry up!" I shoot him a look but he just sticks his tongue out at me and Gogo is laughing. I just go back to my chore outside.

*********
I was now walking to the shop and the sun was really doing the most.

"Okuhle!" someone shouts behind me.

"Lethokuhle Khumalo!" he shouts again sounding closer. I stop and turn, I'm met by my former high school classmate.

Me: "Thobani Zwide!" we both laugh then hug.

Thoba: "Where have you been dude! It's been years!"

Me: "Ah I'm around bruh!" i say chuckling.

Thoba: "Ay you lying! The last time i checked we all lived in this village."

Me: "Why are you being dramatic?"

Thoba: "Serious! Where's your hot friend?"

Me: "She's went back to her home." we continue walking to the shop as we converse. We get to the shop and buy what we came for.

——

Me: "So you finally came out of the closet?!" he looks at me with his eyes popping out.

Thoba: "What do you mean?!"

Me: "Come on, everyone could see that you gay!" he laughs.

Thoba: "You lying!"

Me: "Okay fine! But i once saw you and Smiso behind the school building after school!" he cracks up even harder making me laugh too.

"Thotho!!" he screams running towards us as we walk back from the shop. I just stop and stare at him.

Me: "Yini manje?! Why are you outside?!"

Sqalo: "Haw mahhh, I want you njena!" he says sulking.

Thoba: "Aybo oe! This is your kid?!"

Me: "Yep!"

Sqalo: "Khulu said buy me chips."

Me: "Go to the shop fast, I will wait here." i hand him money.

Thoba: "How? when? WHAT?!" I laugh

Me: "I fell pregnant on my first year in Varsity."

Thoba: "Aybo! We both need some serious catching up sessions!"

Me: "I'm leaving tomorrow." his face falls.

Thoba: "Where to?"

Me: "Joburg! I have school and work." since i'm on my last year, my school work isn't that much so i got a job as a waitress in some fancy restaurant in Sandton and it really helps me even though I still receive an allowance from my grandparents and my father sends me money for maintenance every month, well that money is for Sqalo's needs and he also pays Sqalo's school fees.

Thoba: "And I'm based in Durban. It's so hard friend that side, I don't have friends. The people who are my 'friends' are only using me for their own selfish reasons oe! .." I hug him.

Me: "We can visit each other or you can come visit me from time to time."

Thoba: "Really?!" he hugs me again, this time Sqalo joins the hug. I didn't even notice him. Thoba and I exchanged numbers then I take my brat and we walk home. Sqalo is busy entertaining me with his stories as we walk. A car slows down next to us, I grip my son's hand tighter. The window rolls down, revealing Lwande.

Lwa: "Letho." he says with his eyes glued on Sqalo.

Me: "Lwa." I continue walking,

Lwa: "Can i please have a moment with you? I would like for us to talk."

Me: "Angifuni." I open the gate and walk inside the yard leaving him there. I walk inside the house and mama is watching her nigerian movies. I just walk to the kitchen so I can transfer the food to plates.

Sqalo: "Khulu. UThotho was talking with boys!" this devil!

Me: "Yewena!" I shout, I can hear mah laughing in the living room. I place everything on the table

Gogo: "So what boys were you talking to?"

Me: "No boys mah besides Sqalo's stupid sperm donor!" I click my tongue. I seriously despise Lwa with everything in me.

Gogo: "Angizwanga?!" Right then there's a knock on the door, we turn and it's Lwa.

Lwa: "Sanibona Gogo!"

Gogo: "Ya Luzelwande!"

Lwa: "I'm sorry to just come as i please but I would like to talk to Letho."

Gogo: "Ungijwayela kabi wena mfana! You first play my daughter, leave her high and pregnant after telling her to abort? Now you have the nerve to set your foor in my yard?!. It wasn't enough that you ditched her with your seed, you now want to come to my house as you please! You here to disrespect me further by asking to speak to my daughter live! Like i am your peer?! heh Luzelwande?!" she asks standing in front of him. Sqalo is so focused on the food that he doesn't even notice what's happening

Lwa: "i am really sorry mah, I didn't mean any disrespect and I really am sorry for how I treated Letho." Gogo just pulls out a cooking pin from behind the cushion and starts whipping Lwande's legs.

Lwa: "I'm sorry gogo!" he says calmly while standing there, letting gogo hit him. I take Sqalo to my room so I can give him his bath.